Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Where have you been lurking in the shadows?? BTW there is a thread regarding the meetup. I hope you will be coming.

I've been crazy busy with some of my other cars and haven't been giving the Ghibli or the forum enough attention. I did take it to New Jersey Motorsports Member Guest track day. The car is soooooo much fun on the track!

I don't see a thread for a meetup. When? Where?

·
Registered
28 Posts
As someone who has owned many different luxury sports cars from BMW to Infiniti, I didn't find even the base model Ghibli lacking. It looks classy, has gorgeous interior and seats and drives fast with amazing engine! Not sure why all the hate on Maserati by poseurs who know zilch on it? Many Ghibli owners who owned Porsches and luxury cars rave about the Ghibli in spite if the first year quirks. I'm sure Maserati will keep making it even better over time.

·
Administrator
2,457 Posts
16 months under my belt and IMO the Ghibli SQ4 is the best balance of mystique, luxury and sportiness for the price point. I get lots of compliments on the car and it has been fun driving it flat out or on the curves.

My eyes have wandered a few times to try and scale up the horsepower and fun factor, (Maz GT-S MC, Jaguar F-Type R S and Ferrari California). They all had more power and exhaust roaring sound but decided why spend the extra when the Ghibli is pretty nice and there will always be something better with any car. I could always add a nice tune and upgraded exhaust if needed.

I've also been one of the lucky ones ... only routine campaigns and annual service for my 12/2013 build.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you can add a tubi exhaust to the Ghibli that would make it sound just as mean, loud and aggressive as any Ferrari or AMG car! Now if you can add an ECU chip to boost power than it solves performance issues. The interior is as classy and upscale on near par with Aston Martin and Mercedes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i knew before, the ghibli doesn't have all the features and gadgets i already had in my audi a5 - and didn't use them often... but i'm so pissed off because of the "premium" sound system... because of that, this will be the first and last maserati i have ever bought. i asked my dealer a couple of times to make the "premium" sound system like a premium sound system should sounds like or even as goog as a 20k car's sound system sounds like, but nothing happen. i also made an online survey 3 months after i bought the car directly from maserati and told them how angry I am because of the premium sound sytem, but nothing happen. maybe I'll sell the car in one or two years and go back to the new jaguar xf.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I logged in today just to reply to this thread.

A luxury car that sucks at luxury? Coming from a car blog that sucks at blogging about cars , I am not impressed.

He preemptively wags a finger at anyone who disagrees with his two dimensional analysis of the Ghibli by casting them as Maserati fans, and tells them to simply leave. I stopped reading Jalopnik a long time ago. If the caliber of Jalopnik articles continues in the sophomoric fashion as this one, there is no reason for me to return. I'll give credit where it is due, at least this article is longer than what you'd typically find on Jalopnik, which seems to have written under the editorial decree that all the words must fit on an iPhone screen, lest the half-engaged millennial readership may find it tiresome to scroll down and strain their attention span.

I won't deal with the detailed content of the article, with all of its glaring errors and dishonestly misleading price/content comparisons. I will just say that if content was the only consideration to justify price tag, then the author could have really driven the point home if he used a Hyundai/Kia. Why he didn't do that, why he felt the need to choose BMW and Mercedes instead, is answer plenty why some of us would rather have a Maserati than a BMW or Mercedes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
First, DeMuro is a hack. He writes 'joke' columns and reading his stuff on Jalopnik is pure torture for anyone who's ever taken a writing or journalism class.

Putting all that nonsense aside, you buy the Maserati for the way it handles and for the engine. If any other reason ranks above those, then you are buying the car for the wrong reasons. And then you also have to prefer the Italian way vs. the German way.

I recently had an A8 which had all of the newest and greatest technology. I'd choose my Ghibli 10/10 times over the otherwise excellent A8.

The premium sound system on the Ghibli is a true travesty and someone at Maserati should've been demoted because of it.

A sound system can be changed, but an engine and chassis cannot be.

The Ghibli is a fantastic car to drive.

Doug DeMuro really needs an Acura sedan. From Carmax. That's where the 'luxury' sweet spot is.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I read the article, I read the comments and I read this thread. I think both sides have something to contribute but to say that "I like the way the car is today and that's how Maserati intended it" is a sunk cost fallacy.

If Maserati really intended to exclude all those features in Ghibli, then why are they introducing almost all of them in the next 2016 Ghibli?

·
Registered
37 Posts
This guy missed the whole point, the car is gorgeous, sounds awesome, drives fantastic, very comfortable, and it's a Maserati with an engine built by Ferrari, that's what you pay for, and it is a bargain with all the discounts that Maserati is given, so all these gadgets can take a back seat (no pun intended)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought my Ghibli about 6 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. First car I have owned without a stick in 35 years, and have driven BMWs for 22 years. Performance and handling are the best, and far exceeded my experience with the BMW 5 series or Jaguar. I was telling a friend about pros and cons, and he summed it up perfectly. If you are looking for a comfortable living room on 4 wheels, this car is not for you. When asked if I have to consciously keep my speed under control to avoid tickets, I said "no", who cares about tickets!! (I live out in the country a bit).

It has been great fun, and I look forward to driving every day. I have turned off most of the gadgets anyway, because I want to drive the car, not vice versa. Lane changing indicator warnings, I don't need them much since at 85 I am passing everyone anyway.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well said. The Ghibli is not a living room on wheels.

It is interesting direction for sure, but other manufacturers are trying to out-tech the next guy.

If Maserati (and now Alfa) can appeal to the other type of driver, then that's where my money is going. Sure, they won't sell 200,000 cars per year, but that is NOT their business model or their philosophy.

We have maybe 7-10 years left before autonomous electric cars take over. I don't have hate for that. But in the meantime, my pick is a DRIVER'S car...not a mobile iPad made for a mid-level manager.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Doesn't matter. I love my Ghibli. I didn't buy a Maserati for "value", I would buy a Toyota if that's what I want, or a Lexus if I want luxury and comfort. I've owned BMW before and you can't beat the Ferrari engine in the Maserati. I love the engine sound, the driving experience, and I admit, also the brand image and the exclusive status. A Maserati is in a different league than a BMW. From where I live (southern california) everyone drives a BMW/Mercedes, but a Maserati is about as rare as a Ferrari or Lambo.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I second neko177's thoughts. The regular models that BMW/MB/Audi sell in large volumes do not even come close to the engaging, performance oriented drive that this car provides

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maserati excels at blending its sporting roots with unsurpassed luxury and Italian style. The all-new Ghibli furthers that trend, and the midsize luxury sport sedan offers the complete package.

Two models are offered: a base rear-wheel-drive Ghibli and an all-wheel-drive Ghibli S Q4. Both are powered by a Ferrari-built, twin-turbocharged 3.0L V6. In the base model it delivers 345 horsepower, while the S Q4 benefits from special camshafts, more boost and more aggressive engine management. The result is 404 horsepower. Both models utilize an 8-speed automatic transmission with five different shift modes. The base car scoots to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds, while the sure-footed S Q4 hits the mark in just 4.6 seconds, on its way to a 177 mph top speed.

The appeal of the Ghibli begins outside, with elegant design that recalls the sedan's older sibling, the Quattroporte. Underneath the lovely steel and aluminum skin, the Ghibli rides on a solid chassis sprung by an alloy suspension with double wishbones up front and a multi-link setup in the rear, with stopping handled competently by Brembo brakes. Maserati claims the base Ghibli offers a perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

Standard equipment on the Ghibli includes 18-inch alloy wheels, bi-xenon headlights dual-zone automatic climate control, cruise control, keyless entry and ignition, leather upholstery with 6-way power seats, a heated tilt/telescopic steering wheel, an 8.4-inch touchscreen infotainment display, rearview camera and an 8-speaker audio system. S Q4 models add adaptive headlights, Bluetooth hands-free connectivity, a power sunroof and more.

Several options and packages allow for a fully customized Ghibli. Skyhook adaptive suspension offers driver-selectable Normal and Sport modes that reduce body roll. A 15-speaker, 1,280-watt Bowers & Wilkins premium sound system provides exceptional auditory stimulation, and a WI-FI system means you never have to disconnect. Navigation is available, as are several leather and wood grain choices, heated and ventilated front seats, plus a range of alloy wheels from 19 to 21 inches.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
111 Posts
I am late to this thread but just watched DeMuro's insulting youtube about the 2015 Ghibli. I am all for bespoke switchgear and he drooled over that stuff in a $1M Lagonda. But who wants to pay $200K+ for the privilege of limited run switches, or radio, or touchscreen. Many of the "omissions" he mentioned are available in my 2018, and most of the safety features I disable because I prefer to drive.

I bought the vehicle because it looks fantastic, sounds even better, and is quite rare in southwest MI. That said, there is a 2018 GranSport in my development and I talked to the owner before buying mine (he loves it). There are enough Audis (I have one), BMWs (next door has two M series), and Mercedes (also an AMG next door) all over town. I cannot go three miles to the store without seeing one. Almost every time I stop for gas I receive a thumbs up or a compliment. I found two gals taking their picture with it as a backdrop at a local winery. See if that happens with an 550i.

That said, I never would have popped the $98k+ sticker for my car. I am a smart car buyer, studied the brand and the market, but still lucked into a brand new 2018 at a 40% discount. I have taken one RT trip from MI-SC and three from MI-CT/NY and it is a comfortable and fun car to drive. Plenty of power when I need it and seems to run even better the faster is goes. I said in another post that DeMuro was a dufus. He's more of an arrogant douchebag.

·
Administrator
2,457 Posts
I am late to this thread but just watched DeMuro's insulting youtube about the 2015 Ghibli. I am all for bespoke switchgear and he drooled over that stuff in a $1M Lagonda. But who wants to pay $200K+ for the privilege of limited run switches, or radio, or touchscreen. Many of the "omissions" he mentioned are available in my 2018, and most of the safety features I disable because I prefer to drive.

I bought the vehicle because it looks fantastic, sounds even better, and is quite rare in southwest MI. That said, there is a 2018 GranSport in my development and I talked to the owner before buying mine (he loves it). There are enough Audis (I have one), BMWs (next door has two M series), and Mercedes (also an AMG next door) all over town. I cannot go three miles to the store without seeing one. Almost every time I stop for gas I receive a thumbs up or a compliment. I found two gals taking their picture with it as a backdrop at a local winery. See if that happens with an 550i.

That said, I never would have popped the $98k+ sticker for my car. I am a smart car buyer, studied the brand and the market, but still lucked into a brand new 2018 at a 40% discount. I have taken one RT trip from MI-SC and three from MI-CT/NY and it is a comfortable and fun car to drive. Plenty of power when I need it and seems to run even better the faster is goes. I said in another post that DeMuro was a dufus. He's more of an arrogant douchebag.
There are deals to be had on these cars ... make no mistake. If you've got the time and/or perseverance you can find the deal. And to everyone's preference ... I prefer to buy new outright and hold for 10 years. Some cars I'm more willing to watch and wait to find the discount on new or like new.

I bought 2 Jaguars in one day when economy tanked and dealers needed to move cars off the lot. I was casually shopping for my wife who wanted a 1-2 year old used Jag in dead of winter. While negotiating on her car, I asked what they could do for a 2 year old Jag XKR convertible with 16000 miles (recent lease return), if bought in addition to her car. Original sticker was $93K, I paid $33K from Jag dealer certified. I never expected dealer to make an offer that low.

Still have the XKR ... there is something about those V8 Jags that are classic and built like a tank.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts