Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all those that have been complaining about throttle lag (some have called it turbo lag) this is very normal for Maserati and those coming from a German V8 or performance car will be understandably frustrated with it.

Good news, there is a solution. A company in Las Vegas called Formula Dynamics has developed and been selling a Drive by Wire module for the Quattroporte and GT for years. They are very well known in the Maserati and Ferrari communities and well known for great work by Maserati and Ferrari corporate. After speaking with them today, they are looking for donor Ghiblis. They would like to find a few owners who will allow them to use their car to develop one or more of the following in exchange for perhaps free or substantially discounted rates on the upgrades…

Drive By Wire Module
ECU Program
Lowering Kit
Sway Bars
Exhaust Modifications
Upgraded Break Kits

Unfortunately, Maserati views their cars as luxury sport cars and not pure performance cars leaving that to Ferrari. As such, there is noticeable throttle lag in ALL of Maserati's models. Additionally, the engine programming in most of their cars does not take full advantage of the engine capability. It is known that the Ghibli SQ4 engine has the capability to squeeze 480hp out of it instead of the 404hp it comes with.

The net net is Maserati will likely not issue a update to the computer to fix the throttle lag, but at least their is a solution. I'm considering shipping my car as a donor if they can do the upgrade for free…just thought I would throw it out there to anyone else interested.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Superbly interested. However the problem with FD upgrade is that it's going to void the warranty on 90k car and without any track record of reliability with after market upgrades I doubt many will bite. Unless FD offers some kind of a warranty of their own ( like dinan does for their after market mods ). I've been checking their site weekly almost for any indication of ghibli related mods.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We try to keep our car is sport mode except when cruising. I feel much more confident in pulling out in traffic or overtaking. There is definitely less lag. I wonder if there's a way to make sport mode the default.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Right, modding and voiding the warranty cools my enthusiasm for better throttle response.

I would want Maserati to come out with an update instead. But not holding my breath.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wonder if some of the turbo lag complaints would have not happened if there would have been a launch mode on the car. In some ways, that seems a curious omission that there is no way to essentially do the equivalent to the old school popping the clutch for brisk and immediate acceleration.

I notice a half second of delay when I pounce on the accelerator and then as the car winds up the RPM curve it really does a nice job of pushing you back into the seat and you are at 60 pretty darn quite. So I do think I would beat a lot of cars off the line -they might pull first but I would catch and exceed then.

Have not tried yet because it is winter and the roads here really suck still...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Try manual sport (if you bought the option) while launching. It feels like it shaved 0.5 second right off the bat
By manual sport, you mean enable sport mode by pressing the sport button and then pressing the manual button and shift by hand using the paddles, right?

·
Registered
253 Posts
By manual sport, you mean enable sport mode by pressing the sport button and then pressing the manual button and shift by hand using the paddles, right?
That's doesn't do anything to 0-60 or adds anything to throttle lag. All this does is make you "think" you're going faster :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
You saying turbo lag is still there but the 'sound' makes you feel otherwise?
If that is the case (Anderson and Rsm...what do you think?) then why would mas just not make it the default mode so people don't talk about turbo lag? The sport option is not that expensive after all....did they just mis-step?

·
Registered
253 Posts
The sport mode helps the throttle lag because it remaps the throttle. The manual mode does not affect throttle response it juts makes you think you can shift faster ( which you can't ) then in full auto mode. I've found that with the ghibli the auto mode does a nicer job in the 0-60 because it shifts not at red line but at the point when the power peeks out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've asked my dealer if there's a way to set sport as default mode. This the the mode that is on ALL Ghiblis, not to be confused with the Sport Package (suspension, wheels, paddle shifters).

As we notice a difference in response between the normal, ICE and sport modes, my guess is that turbo lag is minimal (afterall, this is a twin turbo, so hopefully lag is minimized) and it's more of a throttle tuning (?) that happens with the selection of the different modes.

I can't speak for difference in the base with the lower HP output engine and difference between the modes, but the SQ4 in sport is snappy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Curiously, I've noticed that in ICE mode, if I push the car hard to merge, for example, the car will hold the gear and revs for a while until it decides that I'm done needing the power. During this time any throttle input is fairly responsive. It's as if the car switches modes temporarily.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nova:

I haven't tried to push the car hard in a merge in ICE mode. Really only use ICE mode when the road conditions are poor (therefore I wouldn't want to push hard to merge) or when at cruising speed (i.e., cruise control set, again therefore not pushing hard). I'd have to test your observation out to see if the same happens to me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nova:

I haven't tried to push the car hard in a merge in ICE mode. Really only use ICE mode when the road conditions are poor (therefore I wouldn't want to push hard to merge) or when at cruising speed (i.e., cruise control set, again therefore not pushing hard). I'd have to test your observation out to see if the same happens to me.
Right, I use ICE often because most of the time, I am in Northern Virginia traffic - you know what that's like, and I am just cruising along at glacial speeds. So I might as well be saving some fuel. I'm also taking it easy since the car is still so new. Once I am a couple of thousand miles into it, and I am more confident with the way the car handles/behaves, I'll be more inclined to drive it in Sports mode all the time like I did with my 3-series.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gentleman, this is not turbo lag it is throttle lag. Is there some turbo lag….yes but very minimal and not any different then the germans and not noticeable to most.

What we are mainly noticing is throttle lag. This is common across ALL Maserati's not just the Ghibli. The GT has the same issue as well as the Quattroporte. The reason for this is Maserati views their cars as Grand Tourers or Luxury Sports Cars and so they tame the throttle response as a result. This also has to do with their sister company Ferrari. Maserati wants their cars to be smooth and not have a hard launch. Unfortunately, the mass market of Maserati owners don't launch there cars, even though it seems like us enthusiasts on this website want a harder launch. So, we are stuck with the computer program in our cars to deliver a more linear and smooth acceleration.

In regards to the car defaulting to non-sport mode, all Maserati's default to the non-sport mode when started up. It has been this way for 10 years for the reasons stated above. Unfortunately, from my experience and research, there isn't a way to override this. Same thing Mercedes does too.

That is why Formula Dynamics has created the Drive By Wire module for all Maserati's and has a very strong market for it. It removes the throttle lag and driving a car with one installed, which I have with a GT, it is very noticeable difference. The launch is pretty immediate. Whether it will void your warranty or not is debatable. I've known many people that have this module and have had warranty work done. I've talked to my dealers service department and they said it is hard to detect unless we ran a full diagnostic of the engine and computers which Maserati corporate may ask for if you have MAJOR warranty work, otherwise the dealer is not interested in blowing the whistle on any customers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Is it only the throttle response that's improved, or is the car also constantly in sports mode with the higher shift points, gear holding, downshifting into corners and etc?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts