Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several posts, questions, and input regarding whether the tires skipping during a turn is normal for the AWD Ghibli, or if it is related to the tire/weather. I have only had the car for a few months when I traded in my BWM, but this seems to be an odd occurrence mechanically. It happens in the warmer weather and the colder weather, and typically from 0 to 15 MPH. The only way I have managed to avoid it is to slowly creep through the corner which seems ridiculous.

On another note I had a bit of a scare on the highway this evening. Traveling approx. 65-70 MPH on the highway on a straightaway, the rear end began to slide out to the right. I let off the gas and slowed to 55-60 and it happened again. It was a rainy evening but it almost felt as if the rear end was hydroplaning. I have never had this happen in any other vehicle. Between the tires skipping on dry pavement and now the back end sliding at highway speed, I am beginning to become concerned.

I am new to the Forum, any advice, similar occurrences, etc. would be appreciated.

Regards,
Brent

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi, yes normal the front tyres "skipping" when it's cold, a lot less when warm.
Hardely any with snow tyres.

Your rear tyres must be completely worn, not able to get rid of the water while driving. Or they are too old and have become hard.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have seen several posts, questions, and input regarding whether the tires skipping during a turn is normal for the AWD Ghibli, or if it is related to the tire/weather. I have only had the car for a few months when I traded in my BWM, but this seems to be an odd occurrence mechanically. It happens in the warmer weather and the colder weather, and typically from 0 to 15 MPH. The only way I have managed to avoid it is to slowly creep through the corner which seems ridiculous.

On another note I had a bit of a scare on the highway this evening. Traveling approx. 65-70 MPH on the highway on a straightaway, the rear end began to slide out to the right. I let off the gas and slowed to 55-60 and it happened again. It was a rainy evening but it almost felt as if the rear end was hydroplaning. I have never had this happen in any other vehicle. Between the tires skipping on dry pavement and now the back end sliding at highway speed, I am beginning to become concerned.

I am new to the Forum, any advice, similar occurrences, etc. would be appreciated.

Regards,
Brent
Sounds like you might need a new set of tires. I have seen some issues with the transfer case do similar things, but I'd get the car checked out before jumping to any crazy conclusions.

Reactions: Hebes02

·
Registered
332 Posts
Pirelli P Zero All Season? I experience the skipping as well. Only in the cold weather and with four brand new tires as well.

·
Administrator
2,624 Posts
Pirelli Sotto 3's (Winter) on 20" rims as mentioned by others on forum ... nothing for me in cold weather.
Next year I'll test the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's (Summers) ... newly mounted on my 20" Urano's to replace the factory PZero's which lasted 5 seasons.

I will say, my skipping was reduced and almost eliminated in 40F weather when dealer replaced the front control arm, (tech service bulletin) a number of years ago. It was a noticeable difference in hard turning stability for me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Pirelli tires here (can't remember the exact model of the Summer ones, but they're Pirelli for sure, the ones provided with the car when it was delivered brand new from the factory, I think it's PZero or something like this; Pirelli Sotto Zero 3 for Winter). Never had any sort of skidding in any sort of wheather, w/ temps from -10° Celsius to +40° Celsius (14F to 104F), dry or wet road. Though I'm driving in quite a sporty style. The only thing to note is, when taking a very sharp corner at slow speed in 1st gear, you need to be cool on the gas pedal, otherise it sounds/feels like there's some shock in the rear train, actually there's so much torque delivered to the rear wheels that the transfer box will engage a bit sharply to move some to the front wheels in that scenario, but there's not any skidding happening (precisely, this is part of the strategy designed to prevent it).

My guess is that the number one thing to check in your case is the state of your tires, the number two is the pressure of them, and if they are in a very good shape and properly inflated, then go to a dealer to have the transfer box checked. In any case, my long time experience is never to drive in winter with summer tires, as soon as temp is below 7°C (45F) their gum will harden and you may loose grip, even on a dry road. Note that "All Season" tires are NOT winter tires, their gum is way closer to summer tires than to winter tires (otherwise they would wear off very quickly in the Summer season, which would be bad for marketing; All Season is by and large a marketing thing IMHO).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello from Graz / Austria.

The "skipping" of the front tires is because of the "Ackermann Effekt" (perhaps you can google it).
Thats the reason why for example ferrari and lambo (all the better Sport cars have this effect) have also the skipping in the front tires and they cant go well in tight curves (especially when the tires are cold).
ITS NORMAL !
excuse my bad englisch . . .

Wolfgang

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello from Graz / Austria.

The "skipping" of the front tires is because of the "Ackermann Effekt" (perhaps you can google it).
Thats the reason why for example ferrari and lambo (all the better Sport cars have this effect) have also the skipping in the front tires and they cant go well in tight curves (especially when the tires are cold).
ITS NORMAL !
excuse my bad englisch . . .

Wolfgang

·
Registered
1 Posts

Regards,
Brent
The same thing happened with me and feeling like the car is hydroplaning. Mine jumped a full lane of traffic. Guess what it shouldn’t be the tires because I got new ones in February and due to the pandemic driving a lot less. Took my car to the dealership and waiting on their response as I speak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts