Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a flat tire today -- Pirelli 245/45/19. (3,500 miles). Unfortunately the flat was not fixable. I go to purchase a new tire and it turns out the tire is on back order until late July. Called two Maserati dealers and neither one of them had stock. Now, I need to replace the good tire on the front with another brand to get a matching pair. I purchased a pair of Goodyear Eagle GT's. Hopefully I will have no problems with them. I am keeping the other good tire so when the Goodyear starts to wear I will buy a matching Pirelli at that time. I just find it hard to belief than it would take a month to get a matching tire. FYI, TireRack shows back order as well.

·
Registered
863 Posts
How did it got flat... ??

I got a flat tire today -- Pirelli 245/45/19. (3,500 miles). Unfortunately the flat was not fixable. I go to purchase a new tire and it turns out the tire is on back order until late July. Called two Maserati dealers and neither one of them had stock. Now, I need to replace the good tire on the front with another brand to get a matching pair. I purchased a pair of Goodyear Eagle GT's. Hopefully I will have no problems with them. I am keeping the other good tire so when the Goodyear starts to wear I will buy a matching Pirelli at that time. I just find it hard to belief than it would take a month to get a matching tire. FYI, TireRack shows back order as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked up a nail and the air came out so fast that it ruined the sidewall. Good thing was I was literally only 4 blocks from the tire store. Had the car flat bedded to the store as I did not want to harm the rim. As an aside, the car cannot be stopped while in neutral. Must turn off engine in park and on the floor of the drivers side there is a hatch that you remove and then lift the handle and that will release the transmission so the car can be towed.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Sorry about it.. but good information on how to release the transmission. Can you post the pic where this hatch is..??

I picked up a nail and the air came out so fast that it ruined the sidewall. Good thing was I was literally only 4 blocks from the tire store. Had the car flat bedded to the store as I did not want to harm the rim. As an aside, the car cannot be stopped while in neutral. Must turn off engine in park and on the floor of the drivers side there is a hatch that you remove and then lift the handle and that will release the transmission so the car can be towed.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
i had a flat on the back a few weeks ago, i got lucky and found one brand new.. they are extremely hard to find...

the tire rack absolutely has them! you just have to search by tire size NOT by car. you will find them by size for $325 each. they are listed as OEM for jaguar. they are the same identical tire though there is NO difference. the car mfg typically have their ID stamped on them thats all...

example i got mercedes tires for my wife. the MB tires were $225 each and had MBZ stamped on them in tiny little letters that CANNOT be seen. meanwhile the same tire was availble for volkswagen and it had VW stamped on it.. tire was $185... SAME TIRE, just diff OEM stamp! DONT BE FOOLED its the same tire! so naturally i got the VW tire bc it was cheaper but the same specs.

here are a few though i suggest getting them if you need them.

also be careful bc they need to be "p zero" NOT p zero nero or p zero rosso, just regular "P ZERO" max performance summer...

1 245 45 19 Pirelle Pzero Used Tires | eBay

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
I would seriously just buy the used one on ebay for now.

After the tires are worn out switch to "all seasons" the summer tire is not worth it IMO. Be lucky to get 10k out of them while all seasons you can get 40-50k miles and they are half the price and readily available in many brands.

Running 2 different tread types is not good. When you go thru puddle or water one tire is going to pull 1 way and the other tire is going to pull completely different so it is somewhat unsafe. If you drive normal you will be fine though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
For this reason I would get 20" wheels. 20" tires seem to be more available and cheaper. If you need to get a winter set get some 20's for summer and use the 19s for winter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are you saying 20" tires are cheaper And more available than 19"?I was going to order mine with 19" for less hatch ride. If so one more factor to consider
Thanks

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
You are dead wrong!

There are literally 30 or so different variations of 19s available. Everything from summer, all season to winter. Anything you want.

The 20s have nothing available except for summer high performance tires from 3 mfg, and 1 set of winter tires, in matching front and rear staggered sets.

You won't find any staggered all season tires in 20 inch. I would say 99% of people prefer all season tires vs summer tires at double the cost.

19s all the way! The reason the OP is having trouble is bc he's looking for a specific Pirelli "summer" tire. If he went to all seasons he could buy anything he wanted.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the Continental ContiSport Contact 5P on my 2014 S Q4 equipped with 20" Uranos. Mine has a build date of 2/14 and I took delivery in late March.

Other than some slippage in cold weather conditions similar to what everyone is experiencing (with multiple brands), I have no complaints through the first couple thousand miles of driving.

I have to admit I was surprised and a little disappointed to not see the Pirelli's fitted when I took delivery, as I've had positive experiences with Pirelli in the past. Salesperson didn't have an answer as to why this might have been, but offered to swap them if I felt that strongly about it. I left them as is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Called the dealer this week to order 20" winter tires. They said Maserati is doing a deal until the end of July and the price of four tires out the door (not including the wheels) is $1080.

Is this the same deal others are getting? I think this is pretty good and will probably take it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
After the tires are worn out switch to "all seasons" the summer tire is not worth it IMO. Be lucky to get 10k out of them while all seasons you can get 40-50k miles and they are half the price and readily available in many brands.
I bought this car because it handles pretty well for a big 4 door. Was thrilled to get summer tires. IMHO, all season tires are a real compromise, offering nowhere near the handling of a true summer performance tire, and nowhere near the ability of a snow tire, not just in snow, but also at low temperatures.

Yes, all seasons last much longer, but you don't get something for nothing. You get long tread life at the cost grip.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I never would use All Seasons. If you like to drive this Driver's car summer tires are a must and in winter - depending where you live - the same is valid for winter tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Called the dealer this week to order 20" winter tires. They said Maserati is doing a deal until the end of July and the price of four tires out the door (not including the wheels) is $1080.

Is this the same deal others are getting? I think this is pretty good and will probably take it.

What make/model of 20" snow tires? I cannot find any snows in 20" size.

·
Registered
863 Posts
For 19" the only option i have for the Winter tires i have is

Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Run Flat

Does any one have any idea how good are they or not??

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts

I paid $1450 for the Pirelli Sottozero 3 snows ... out the door from Maserati dealer at time of car purchase. You can also get them from Tirerack and Discount Direct if you called and asked, (not listed on website).

I've seen forum posts of these exact tires selling for $800-900 for 20" set if you let dealer mount on your car, (March/April 2014). So $1080 is certainly a very good deal compared to Tirerack and what I paid my Maserati dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I picked up a nail in my right rear tire and the service guy thinks the nail hole is too big to repair. Maserati wants $600 for one tire. I only have 4k on the car.

I don't have the car here but pretty sure its a Pirelli but know its a summer tire and the size is 285/35/20 100y p-zero. Someone mentioned I could get one at Tire Rack but don't see anything that lists p-zero. Anyone else have this issue and found a cheaper alternative?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts