Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How fast have you gone with your Ghibli so far?
Have you measured acceleration?

I have used several apps, and Gtech to measure the acceleration of 0-100 km/h and 0-62mph. Got 4.5s on Sport, and from 0-200km/h or 0-125mph, I got 17s, which I though were pretty good. Car is a Ghibli S Q4 with Podium gasoline 101octanes.

For topspeed I managed to reach 243km/h so far, which is 152mph. I could have gone farther, but the car is new and I decided not to risk it. Great car, but no where near as fast as my previous AMGs, although unexpectedly it sound better than them.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I agree not as fast as my SLK55 but surprisingly does sound better , especially in sport mode. I always thought the AMG in sport was an ultimate sound!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree not as fast as my SLK55 but surprisingly does sound better , especially in sport mode. I always thought the AMG in sport was an ultimate sound!
Same thing here. I came from a C63, so the performance difference is even greater. The C63 is astonishingly fast, but it is a much inferior machine if compared to the gratitude and elegance of the Ghibli.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I was at the hand wash today and was told by what appeared to be a gear head that the car will get faster after a couple thousand miles......he had hooked up his v8 2014=3 Mustang to a dyno and was measuring the HP at the rear wheels and had gotten improvement since he first bought it .......like the Ghibli is not fast enough..........but I know there are faster much faster cars out there.....but they do not sound like my Maserati!!!!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it will improve this much. Honestly, all the cars I had, improved only by a tad bit with time, not this much. I sincerely hope it does, because the car is wonderful, only lacking in speed. Although pretty soon, I am getting an E63 to live with my Ghibli here as well, to compensante for the lack of power....

I love the Ghibli. It is the best car I owned, by a large margin....
If a tune comes up soon to bring the power up (as the engine has plenty of potential), and a sprint booster to reduce the throttle lag, I will be one of the first.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I am in the same boat as you Carlos. I traded in my C63 for the Ghibli S Q4. The Ghibli is a better car in most aspects but it lacks the power since my C63 had close 600hp. I have to agree, that the sound the Ghibli makes is phenomenal. I am also eagerly waiting for a tune.

Even though performance wise the Ghibli does quite well. It stays neck to neck from a rolling start with the 991 carrera S.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am in the same boat as you Carlos. I traded in my C63 for the Ghibli S Q4. The Ghibli is a better car in most aspects but it lacks the power since my C63 had close 600hp. I have to agree, that the sound the Ghibli makes is phenomenal. I am also eagerly waiting for a tune.

Even though performance wise the Ghibli does quite well. It stays neck to neck from a rolling start with the 991 carrera S.
The Ghibli is fast, but still, I was expecting much more. Now staying neck to neck with Carrera 4S, is something I don't see happening. For me to overtake an accelerating A45 AMG on the road was hard. I managed to kick his ass, but only after 200km/h (125mp/h). What really ruins the experience is the gigantic lag in the throttle. It takes about 0.2s for it to start, then the car begins moving slowly then the turbos kick in, and the beast comes alive. With all this, about 0.8s of acceleration are gone. The Turbos are pretty big, but the PSI are low. The Ghibli has potential for more than 500HP with a tune, without question.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I am sure the engine has potential for at least 500hp with a tune which will improve throttle response and drivability and increase top speed. There is a pretty big lag in throttle response but you decrease it some what by down shitting. My friend stayed neck to neck with the 991 so it is possible. The 991 is way lighter but has around 80lb-ft less than the Ghibli S Q4. Hp wise they are tied.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep. I trust your friend though the Porsche is much lighter. Quite harf to tell as there are plenty of variables. Now the lag is not in the downshift and yes on the throttle response while idling or while stopped.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
I hit 140mph on the turnpike over the weekend, i backed off since there were a ton of cars on the road and i surely didnt want to risk anyone making an unexpected lane change.

Guys please remember, you cannot possibly begin to compare the Ghibli to the the AMG's or the bmw M's. all of those cars have 8 cylinders so naturally they are going to be capable of putting out more HP and torque.

If you want to compare Maserati to the AMG's or M's then you should be using the Grand Turismo or the QP v8 as your comparison since they both have 8 cylinders.

If you take any BMW or Benz V6 and put it up against the Maserati v6, the maserati will smoke it all day long.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I hit ##mph on the turnpike over the weekend, i backed off since there were a ton of cars on the road and i surely didnt want to risk anyone making an unexpected lane change.
I would go back and edit your post if I were you. Admitting to something like that is a bad idea. I also recommend you take your speeding needs to a closed circuit track and not put others in danger on a public road. That is incredibly irresponsible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hit 140mph on the turnpike over the weekend, i backed off since there were a ton of cars on the road and i surely didnt want to risk anyone making an unexpected lane change.

Guys please remember, you cannot possibly begin to compare the Ghibli to the the AMG's or the bmw M's. all of those cars have 8 cylinders so naturally they are going to be capable of putting out more HP and torque.

If you want to compare Maserati to the AMG's or M's then you should be using the Grand Turismo or the QP v8 as your comparison since they both have 8 cylinders.

If you take any BMW or Benz V6 and put it up against the Maserati v6, the maserati will smoke it all day long.
Granturismo V8 is slower than my previous C63, and probably even slower than the Ghibli. You have to compare the Ghibli to the V8s, because that is where it is priced at, and where the majority of owners came from. I am not saying the car is slow. It is faster than a M3, and faster than most V8s out there in the market, and frankly I love the engine, especially the exhaust...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I also recommend you take your speeding needs to a closed circuit track and not put others in danger on a public road. That is incredibly irresponsible.
Cannot agree with this enough! While I admit the desire to "open her up" every once in a while is tempting, with the congestion on US highways (at least in major metropolitan areas) it simply isn't prudent.

As an example, I took the Ghibli on a road trip over the weekend. Was traveling at average speeds going with the flow of traffic, when a car merged onto the highway and immediately crossed three lines into the left lane without checking their mirrors. I had to slam on the brakes and swerve onto the shoulder to avoid being hit. I had been paying attention and the Ghibli managed the avoidance maneuver easily so it turned out okay, but I cannot imagine the carnage that would have ensued had I been traveling at an extreme rate of speed and been unable to slow down in time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cannot agree with this enough! While I admit the desire to "open her up" every once in a while is tempting, with the congestion on US highways (at least in major metropolitan areas) it simply isn't prudent.

As an example, I took the Ghibli on a road trip over the weekend. Was traveling at average speeds going with the flow of traffic, when a car merged onto the highway and immediately crossed three lines into the left lane without checking their mirrors. I had to slam on the brakes and swerve onto the shoulder to avoid being hit.
Welcome to America where any idiot can get a drivers license. Between the driving behavior you describe and the commercials that emphasize high performance cars from Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac it is no wonder that everyone thinks they can become an F1 driver simply by owning a "hot" car. It really is getting pretty insane out there in metro areas, particularly late at night/early morning.

IMO, it is pretty idiotic to drive at excessive speeds on American roads regardless -- and for what purpose: 60 seconds of thrill? Save yourself the price of several tickets (and possible serious accidents) and just find a race track such as the Autobahn Country Club in Illinois where you can really test the limits of your S Q4 while honing your driving skills at the same time.

Or, take a trip to Europe and rent an S Q4 and drive it on the Autobahn in Germany and Italy for hours on end. Then when you get back to the states find some twisties where you can then enjoy the handling and performance of the S Q4 just as much as you would by going at high speed for 60 seconds.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
I hit 140mph on the turnpike over the weekend, i backed off since there were a ton of cars on the road and i surely didnt want to risk anyone making an unexpected lane change.QUOTE]

hit 150mph last weekend, fastest i have ever moved on land!

i know the car claims to hit 166 or something close, but once i hit 150mph it def started to lose a lot of power. it def had more to go, but i feel like it would have been a slow ride up to 166. i didnt feel like keeping the gas pedal pegged for 2 minutes straight to get up there.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I thought top speed was 177. did hit 150 on my 550i for only a short while as it was very very fast. CAnnot wait to take my Ghibli to the track and will post a full report!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Guys...drive safely. We were driving on a narrow winding lane on a hill in the ghibli. Suddenly out of nowhere a car approaches us at a crazy speed. For a second my life flashed before me till I swerved and avoided the collision by a couple of inches. The ghibli kept its balance thankfully. You have to drive assuming most others don't know how to drive

·
Registered
695 Posts
I hit 100 on test drive from an on ramp to a limited access artirial, then had to slow fast as I caught up to traffic. I thought the salesman was going to die, but how do you pay for performance if you don't feel it. This is a Ferrari dealer too!

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Guys...drive safely. We were driving on a narrow winding lane on a hill in the ghibli. Suddenly out of nowhere a car approaches us at a crazy speed. For a second my life flashed before me till I swerved and avoided the collision by a couple of inches. The ghibli kept its balance thankfully. You have to drive assuming most others don't know how to drive
Everyone is driving safely, or I should say no one is endangering anyone other then themselves. No one is driving 150 thru traffic lol. For me personally when I'm driving on the interstate if I'm lucky and get an opening with no traffic then I try to take it up high briefly. Once I catch back up to the traffic flow I bring her back down. No one is blazing past other cars doing 150 lol and no one else is in danger.

Like BJG625 said, how can you pay $100k for a car if you don't even know what you're paying for. I've been driving dirt bikes since age 5, had 15 motorcycles life to date. Been driving autos since age 10, and have had many many cars, bmws, Benz, Maserati, corvettes, etc. I am familiar w every aspect of my cars, not only can I drive them, but I can repair and replace any part on my cars myself.

If I smack my car up doing 150 at least I went out having fun and filled w andrenaline. Surely beats going out arguing w your wife over how much she spent at the mall.

You want to see a fast car that is relatively cheap. Take a look at the new corvette. That thing flys. Google "Hennessy corvette" that darling has 700hp and is a monster, hits 200mph. All for under 100. Still prefer my Italian mistress though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts