Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my ghibli for about 3 weeks now and sometimes I get myself in a dangerous position when i'm messing around with the touchscreen while driving, I know normally you should stop to do anything on the touchscreen but nobody does that.

I think its more dangerous than the normal buttons you have in the bmw, audi and mercedes, because you can do what you want without looking but on the touchscreen you really have to look otherwise you press the wrong button.

What do you guy's think about this.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Its a matter of adjusting to it. For the last 4 years I have been driving cars that had touchscreens and now I am completely used to it.
Also whether its a touch or button system, I think you have to look at the screen anyways.. in my opinion its not a good idea to be playing when you are driving... get everything setup the way you want before you drive

·
Registered
241 Posts
I really think Maserati should have included a puck like device similar to what's in MB and BMW cars although I'm not sure this headunit even has the capabilities for an external control device. At least in my MB I can do everything with the puck and only occasionally give a quick glance to the screen to see if I'm doing it right or if I selected the correct song. I've gotten in the habit of trying to use the little dial on the side of the touchscreen to change songs but it's a reach being on the far side of the screen. I'm hoping once I've spent more time in the car it'll all become second nature. I also need to use the voice commands more, I've only played with those a couple times to pick songs or bring up the nav.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Sorry but I couldn't disagree more

IMO the farther away from the I-Drive/MMI interface the better; I much prefer touch screens

DD

·
Registered
480 Posts
I agree 100% with Duncan. The touchscreen is easy and as I got more and more used to it I can touch what I want with barely a glance of taking my eyes of the road. After a while you learn where to touch parts of the screen and it becomes second nature. And I never use the knobs on the side to change songs, I do that from the steering wheel button behind the left side. So far I have only used the side knobs to adjust volume of navigation, set music volume. I never have touched the right knob....

As to those hockey puck selection systems, they are very distracting and so 1990's ;)

My father had a BMW 7 series years ago and he hated the knobby controller. I didn't like it when driving his car. It was distracting inaccurate and temperamental.. I think the touch screen's response time is excellent and choices can be made with merely a glance.

My only criticism is the size of the two knobs on the side of the screen. They are two small and look out of place. I wonder if they can be replaced with larger aftermarket knobs since there are decorative in nature and they don't even light up at night.:(

Steve

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uhu, yh this is my first car with touchscreen so I have to search a bit longer for everything and i'm used to use the "knobby controller" :) so I think my opinion about this will change in a few months.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What do you guy's think about this.

Agree completely. Even if you get used to it.. you still have to take your eyes off the road...even if it's just a second. You have to take your eyes off to look at the screen.. and to make sure you're touching the right space.

With the Audi and BMW knob controls I've had, I was soon able to do just about anything without having to look at all....and if I did, it's only a glance at the screen, never the input method.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow, I had a 2008 550i with iDrive that was just a nightmare; layers of menus, and it was completely impossible to do anything without taking your eyes off the road. I can't imagine how anyone, after using both the touchscreen and the iDrive knob, and the flat menu structure vs. the deep hierarchical one in iDrive, could possibly prefer the BMW.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My only criticism is the size of the two knobs on the side of the screen. They are two small and look out of place. I wonder if they can be replaced with larger aftermarket knobs since there are decorative in nature and they don't even light up at night.:(

Steve
I absolutely agree with you. The worst part is that they become invisible at night.
Also, some selections on the touchscreen, like going to recent calls and picking the number and then touching again a relatively small bar to finally call makes it annoying and (at least to me) is distractive. But I hope (as some of you have mentioned) that it is a matter of getting used to it. BMW system was not easy to master, too :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow, I had a 2008 550i with iDrive that was just a nightmare; layers of menus, and it was completely impossible to do anything without taking your eyes off the road. I can't imagine how anyone, after using both the touchscreen and the iDrive knob, and the flat menu structure vs. the deep hierarchical one in iDrive, could possibly prefer the BMW.
It's changed a lot since 2008. Back then it was a mess. I've had new Audi's and BMW's and once you get the hang of it.. couple weeks.. it becomes an extension of your hand. never have to look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts