Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background
I've owned the past two incarnations of the V12 Ferrari 4 seater GTs. After having a 612 Scaglietti for a few years, I decided to get something with more up to date tech so bought a Rosso Maranello Ferrari FF. To cut a long story short, my missus does not like it. She hates the attention from members of the public as well as police and parking attendants (they find any reason to slap a fine on you). She hated people pointing and taking photos of the car. Anyways, the FF had to go. I managed to drag it out for a year before bending to her will. In both cases, I bought the cars without telling the wife!

The Contenders
A more subtle coloured 612, California or 456 on the Ferrari side. A Ghibli or GT on the Maserati side. I felt that only these two marques could meet the criteria of style and driving experience. I'm a fan of Alfa Romeos, but the current 4 seater models don't interest me. I have a small child and only have parking for one car.

The Ghibli
I've consulted the missus this time. This is why I chose the Ghibli over everything else:

• style. I love the design. It's got classic elegant lines, similar to the 612, but the front has the right blend of aggression. I think Maseratis have flowing designs more reminiscent of the 456/612 models. The GT is just amazing, especially the 2013 facelift model.
  • space. I got spoiled by the larger FF boot and found it hard to go back to the smaller boot. Missus wanted cup holders which the earlier 612s do not have! The California was too small. The GT is larger than the 612, but smaller than the FF.
  • the latest tech. The touch control is super high tech to what I've had in Ferraris. Yes, there's the new Apple touch control, but I'd need to order a new Ferrari to get that and probably get in a lot of trouble by the wife.
  • sound. The FF has a beautiful sounding V12, the Ghibli plays music from its exhaust. The GT has the best sound of all.
  • 5 door practicality. It's both strange and great to have rear doors again!
  • the acceleration of 0-60 in 5 seconds is perfect. The FF is crazy fast and licence threatening, so this should keep me under the radar from the police for a bit.
As a blend of practicality, sound, experience, style and mod-cons, I don't think the Ghibli can be beat. It's subtle enough to hide in traffic, but doesn't look generic.

My thoughts on the criticisms

• Chrysler parts sharing. I see as an advantage. Ferraris are very low volume cars and it's very hard to find switch problems when you only have a few hundred 612s/FFs in existence. With tried and trusted controls, I can be sure that hands have flicked these on and off millions of times more than Ferrari switches. The 612 was notorious with window and mirror switches being easy to break. Also, I noticed the Ferraris have a lot of bits from the Maserati GT. These were the ones that worked better, such as the light switches.
  • Rear end. I've read accusations of this looking like a generic Korean rear end. Strongly disagree. Saw my first Ghibli on the road and the rear has got to be one of the most elegant. It rivals the 612 in terms of rear style. The Ferrari FF on the other hand did take me a while to get used to.
  • Paddle shifts. Both my previous cars have had them and I only drive using them. So if you are a reviewer who gets his hands caught between the wheel and indicator stalks, these aren't for you.
  • vs Tesla S. Sorry, I think the Ghibli is much better looking. It sounds better for sure. There's some good tech in the Teslas though. The last EV to perk my interest was the Fisker Karma.
The QP was tempting, but too long for my purposes. It is a beautiful car.

I'm awaiting delivery and have a Ghibli S in Blu Emozione with curio interior on order. Should be with me soon, I'll post more thoughts then.

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
StickBreitling - Sounds like you found the right combination that satisfies your needs for Driving experience ... all while keeping the misses happy too!!

Thanks for the discussions on the Ferrari's ... interesting to hear ... never drove a Ferrari. I did explore a Lamborghini, but quickly realized it wasn't for me.

Enjoy the new ride!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Background
I've owned the past two incarnations of the V12 Ferrari 4 seater GTs. After having a 612 Scaglietti for a few years, I decided to get something with more up to date tech so bought a Rosso Maranello Ferrari FF. To cut a long story short, my missus does not like it. She hates the attention from members of the public as well as police and parking attendants (they find any reason to slap a fine on you). She hated people pointing and taking photos of the car. Anyways, the FF had to go. I managed to drag it out for a year before bending to her will. In both cases, I bought the cars without telling the wife!

The Contenders
A more subtle coloured 612, California or 456 on the Ferrari side. A Ghibli or GT on the Maserati side. I felt that only these two marques could meet the criteria of style and driving experience. I'm a fan of Alfa Romeos, but the current 4 seater models don't interest me. I have a small child and only have parking for one car.

The Ghibli
I've consulted the missus this time. This is why I chose the Ghibli over everything else:

• style. I love the design. It's got classic elegant lines, similar to the 612, but the front has the right blend of aggression. I think Maseratis have flowing designs more reminiscent of the 456/612 models. The GT is just amazing, especially the 2013 facelift model.
  • space. I got spoiled by the larger FF boot and found it hard to go back to the smaller boot. Missus wanted cup holders which the earlier 612s do not have! The California was too small. The GT is larger than the 612, but smaller than the FF.
  • the latest tech. The touch control is super high tech to what I've had in Ferraris. Yes, there's the new Apple touch control, but I'd need to order a new Ferrari to get that and probably get in a lot of trouble by the wife.
  • sound. The FF has a beautiful sounding V12, the Ghibli plays music from its exhaust. The GT has the best sound of all.
  • the acceleration of 0-60 in 5 seconds is perfect. The FF is crazy fast and licence threatening, so this should keep me under the radar from the police for a bit.
As a blend of practicality, sound, experience, style and mod-cons, I don't think the Ghibli can be beat. It's subtle enough to hide in traffic, but doesn't look generic.

• Chrysler parts sharing. I see as an advantage. Ferraris are very low volume cars and it's very hard to find switch problems when you only have a few hundred 612s/FFs in existence. With tried and trusted controls, I can be sure that hands have flicked these on and off millions of times more than Ferrari switches. The 612 was notorious with window and mirror switches being easy to break. Also, I noticed the Ferraris have a lot of bits from the Maserati GT. These were the ones that worked better, such as the light switches.
  • Rear end. I've read accusations of this looking like a generic Korean rear end. Strongly disagree. Saw my first Ghibli on the road and the rear has got to be one of the most elegant. It rivals the 612 in terms of rear style. The Ferrari FF on the other hand did take me a while to get used to.
  • Paddle shifts. Both my previous cars have had them and I only drive using them. So if you are a reviewer who gets his hands caught between the wheel and indicator stalks, these aren't for you.
  • vs Tesla S. Sorry, I think the Ghibli is much better looking. It sounds better for sure. There's some good tech in the Teslas though. The last EV to perk my interest was the Fisker Karma.

I'm awaiting delivery and have a Ghibli S in Blu Emozione with curio interior on order. Should be with me soon, I'll post more thoughts then.
I did not come from an Italian car but came from an AMG, whose purpose is practically the same, to entertain the driver and offer great pleasure. I have a Ghibli blu emozione with curio LOL. Here you can find plenty of pics of it.
carloscars534's Library | Photobucket

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you are going to be happy, you need to pay attention to the WAF*

What is WAF?

It's the Wife Acceptance Factor. If you ignore it, you're in deep sh*t! I am sure both you and your wife will be thrilled with your new Ghibli.

*The Wife Acceptance Factor is inversely proportional to the possible amount of conflict resulting from different points of view. The lower the WAF, the more convincing needs to be done, or the more conflict arises from the acquisition or project

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nobody has told me that the Ghibli rear looks like an Asian car yet, but I am prepared for if they do.

My response will be: The Kia looks like the Ghibli only if you think Yoko Ono looks like Sophia Loren.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Background

The Contenders

The Ghibli

Great post.

I have the same colour combo as you have ordered.

Really love mine. She's the only Maserati around my area and is creating a lot of interest.

I'm having the polish treatment inside and out today, so it will look even better!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Welcome to the clan. I feel like I bought a bit into the ferrari family with a ghibli. The pininfarina inspired body style and the ferrari engine sound.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Your only problem may be that the Ghibli is not anonymous enough for your wife but the reaction to mine has always been friendly.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you are going to be happy, you need to pay attention to the WAF*

What is WAF?

It's the Wife Acceptance Factor. If you ignore it, you're in deep sh*t! I am sure both you and your wife will be thrilled with your new Ghibli.

*The Wife Acceptance Factor is inversely proportional to the possible amount of conflict resulting from different points of view. The lower the WAF, the more convincing needs to be done, or the more conflict arises from the acquisition or project
:laugh: That is hilarious! But, soooo true. I'm a self confessed car addict and the Ghibli is the first car my wife really wanted me to get.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Wow.. Thank you for such an honnest and genuine review abou tthe choice you ve made.
I ve been waitng for two years to buy the gnibli S Q4 and going this week end to hopefully so the paperwork.
Alot of my choices ( beside owning a Ferrari) we based on the same as yours.
Needless to say the final word has to be from the wife.
Happy wife , Happy household.. !

·
Registered
852 Posts
As you can see from my profile pic, your have great taste in color..............and I have gotten noting but genuine enthusiasm and happiness from any one who admires the car. Always thumbs up, congrats, good for you etc. And I always take time to let them take pics sit in the car an take them for a ride when I can....sharing the dream because I am sure living it...........Maserati stirs a sense of wonder and thrill and seems to be the dream car of many so when they see one well you know...... I have never had negative comments any where I go...........whether your wife will be happy is another thing because you will still grab attention especially when valeting the car................congrats for a very nice evaluation and good luck with your new Ghibli............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts