Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read some old posts that said with a USB plugged in and phone in the tray that you can't close the door? True? Would a low profile 90 degree cable work?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Use the 12V outlet in the console; the power cable fits under with the lids closed and is available for phone charging. My phone sits in the cup holder.
I have a thumb drive full of music in the center tray USB slot (lid closed).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use the 12V outlet in the console; the power cable fits under with the lids closed and is available for phone charging. My phone sits in the cup holder.
I have a thumb drive full of music in the center tray USB slot (lid closed).
Does that port work with Apple CarPlay? I don’t think so?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Does that port work with Apple CarPlay? I don’t think so?
Nope. I read somewhere about someone trying the 90 degree cable and it didn't quite fit either. But honestly, this annoyed me for about 1 day and then I forgot all about it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope. I read somewhere about someone trying the 90 degree cable and it didn't quite fit either. But honestly, this annoyed me for about 1 day and then I forgot all about it.
Thanks. I ordered those cables I linked above. We’ll see. I take delivery Saturday. It won’t bug me too much either, but I hate clutter and wires. Was hoping to get in the car, plug my phone in, bury it in the tray and close the door. First car with Apple CarPlay. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I ordered those cables I linked above. We’ll see. I take delivery Saturday. It won’t bug me too much either, but I hate clutter and wires. Was hoping to get in the car, plug my phone in, bury it in the tray and close the door. First car with Apple CarPlay. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Got the same sort of cables (90° and same shape at the USB end, only difference is 180°, straightforward shape at the lightning end, which is irrelevant to your question). I confirm door doesn't close. I also confirm ChiTownMaser's comment that this is really not annoying (at least to me). This door has statyed open for 2 1/2 years now, and I really don't care. No big deal. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the same sort of cables (90° and same shape at the USB end, only difference is 180°, straightforward shape at the lightning end, which is irrelevant to your question). I confirm door doesn't close. I also confirm ChiTownMaser's comment that this is really not annoying (at least to me). This door has statyed open for 2 1/2 years now, and I really don't care. No big deal. :)
Got it. Thank you. At least I’ll have some perfect sized cords for Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I made a stink about this about 2 1/2 years ago, and it still bothers me to this day. (Otherwise I love the car.) It was the first thing I notice after I bought the car and got it home. I love CarPlay and would use it all times if I could, but there is not a lightning cable on Earth with a USB plug flush enough to close that media door. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a recessed tray for the phone if you have to leave the door open with cables hanging out. The only thing worse than this initial design is the fact that it has not been fixed in the intervening three model years. Just put a second USB port in the center glove box, then you could stuff your phone and cable in it and shut the lid -- nice and tidy. How hard is that? My Yukon has two USB's hidden behind the screen, 2 in a shallow flip compartment on the center console, and 2 more in the center compartment. How much could a USB hub really cost?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I made a stink about this about 2 1/2 years ago, and it still bothers me to this day. (Otherwise I love the car.) It was the first thing I notice after I bought the car and got it home. I love CarPlay and would use it all times if I could, but there is not a lightning cable on Earth with a USB plug flush enough to close that media door. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a recessed tray for the phone if you have to leave the door open with cables hanging out. The only thing worse than this initial design is the fact that it has not been fixed in the intervening three model years. Just put a second USB port in the center glove box, then you could stuff your phone and cable in it and shut the lid -- nice and tidy. How hard is that? My Yukon has two USB's hidden behind the screen, 2 in a shallow flip compartment on the center console, and 2 more in the center compartment. How much could a USB hub really cost?
Thanks Tommy. I think I found your post griping about this which made me inquire if there was a cable solution since your post was a few years old. I actually ordered another set of 90 degree cables in addition that looked lower profile. Guess I’m going to have 5 6” cables and 5 12” cables that are useless.

It’s funny how the manufacturers mess up the smallest details. I’m a BMW guy. You should have seen how long it took them to get cup holders right, lol!

·
Registered
238 Posts
The apple carplay does in fact work really well with the u-connect. I'm a big fan and couldn't ever go back without it
Look at it this way... you'll probably be less likely to forget your phone in your car with that door open and cords hanging out. Super annoying when you have to park on the 7th floor of a parking garage and get to your office and then realize you forgot your phone in your car. I've done that more than once unfortunately and it would probably be an even more common occurrence if I could actually close that door.

BTW the carplay works great with the u-connect system and steering wheel hands free button. I just say where I want to go in plain english and boom directions are there every time. Or if I want to use google maps, I just have to press that app and then press the mic button on the screen and it picks up what i'm saying easily. The hands free texting works well too. I couldn't ever go back, especially since my main apps for music are Spotify and SiriusXM. Just wish I could initiate a song or playlist in spotify using voice, which isn't enabled yet for carplay. Boo.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The apple carplay does in fact work really well with the u-connect. I'm a big fan and couldn't ever go back without it

Look at it this way... you'll probably be less likely to forget your phone in your car with that door open and cords hanging out. Super annoying when you have to park on the 7th floor of a parking garage and get to your office and then realize you forgot your phone in your car. I've done that more than once unfortunately and it would probably be an even more common occurrence if I could actually close that door.

BTW the carplay works great with the u-connect system and steering wheel hands free button. I just say where I want to go in plain english and boom directions are there every time. Or if I want to use google maps, I just have to press that app and then press the mic button on the screen and it picks up what i'm saying easily. The hands free texting works well too. I couldn't ever go back, especially since my main apps for music are Spotify and SiriusXM. Just wish I could initiate a song or playlist in spotify using voice, which isn't enabled yet for carplay. Boo.
Awesome. I’m a big gadget guy and Apple guy. I’ve been waiting a while for a car with Apple CarPlay. Seems I’ve missed it by one year with every car purchase as the next MY has it.

On SiriusXM, I’m debating whether to add the radio to my plan or just use the app. I have two other cars on my plan with streaming and I know Apple CarPlay supports the app, so it seems crazy to pay $100 a year for the radio when I already get the streaming without adding any cost. Dealer turned on the three month free trial, so we will see if there is a benefit.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The actual radio works a lot better than the Sirius App. The sirius app is really slow to load channels and songs. But it works.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The actual radio works a lot better than the Sirius App. The sirius app is really slow to load channels and songs. But it works.
I agree. The app is definitely clunky but I rarely use Sirius in the cars where I have it on the radio. The audio quality isn't even close to the streaming services. I use Apple Music. I'll probably pay the $100 though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree. The app is definitely clunky but I rarely use Sirius in the cars where I have it on the radio. The audio quality isn't even close to the streaming services. I use Apple Music. I'll probably pay the $100 though.
Read some old posts that said with a USB plugged in and phone in the tray that you can't close the door? True? Would a low profile 90 degree cable work?
So I have a 2014 and I too hate clutter and cables. So I drilled a small hole, just large enough to pass the lightning end of the cable through to the larger compartment. Now I never open the usb compartment door. I just open the larger compartment, plug in my phone and shut the compartment. If anyone wants additional details, I can provide the exact drill size and location. I drilled it slightly off center to avoid any of the locking mechanism. Where I drilled I did not hit any collateral damage, just two pieces of plastic making up each compartment wall respectively.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I have a 2014 and I too hate clutter and cables. So I drilled a small hole, just large enough to pass the lightning end of the cable through to the larger compartment. Now I never open the usb compartment door. I just open the larger compartment, plug in my phone and shut the compartment. If anyone wants additional details, I can provide the exact drill size and location. I drilled it slightly off center to avoid any of the locking mechanism. Where I drilled I did not hit any collateral damage, just two pieces of plastic making up each compartment wall respectively.
I’m interested and trying to figure out what you did. Did you run the cable from the USB port to the compartment? If so, how do you close the door with the USB plugged in?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts