Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we all agree to stop talking about turbo lag?

This is a 2014 Maserati not a prop car from Fast & The Furious. The lack of mid range power and throttle response has nothing to do with turbo lag. Im sure a software update will be available shortly after the initial release to adjust the power curve

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, instead of turbo-lag, everyone should be talking about the significant throttle response issues. The response is sluggish (to say the least) and a deal-breaker for many. I drove a very responsive BMW (twin-turbo v6) soon after test-driving a Ghibli and the difference is huge.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, I couldn't agree more. This will be a deal breaker for some, very noticeable lag in throttle compared to many other performance sedans that most people here will be cross shopping, IMHO.

·
Registered
284 Posts
deal breaker for me, im not in a rush to get into a ghibli, if it doesn't turn out to be as good as i want it to be i can always scoop up a used QP in good condition.

·
Registered
277 Posts
we sure the lag has absolutely nothing to do with turbo lag? :D

the throttle is electronically controlled so it shouldn't be impossible to narrow down the problem and fix it. at least from the throttle lag aspect.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we sure the lag has absolutely nothing to do with turbo lag? :D

the throttle is electronically controlled so it shouldn't be impossible to narrow down the problem and fix it. at least from the throttle lag aspect.
yes, we're sure :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree there is a noticeable lag in mid ranges, but it's not a deal breaker. Love my q4 ghibli!!!
I just hope Maserati see's this as a real issue and comes out with some sort of retune for the ECU, if not, maybe some aftermarket company will step in and do something.

·
Registered
277 Posts
is the problem really that bad? I haven't test driven one.. Its only an issue if you are trying to gun it every light (at least from what Id imagine)

·
Registered
324 Posts
They are two very different concepts.

Turbo Lag:
To understand turbo lag you need to understand how a combustion engine works at a basic level. I found myself explaining that here and thought "someone's had to have done this already on the interwebs." I found this excellent short and simple writeup here:
"In a 'normal' engine, the piston comes down on the intake stroke and sucks an amount of 'fuel-air' mixture through the carburetor into the cylinder. This is called a 'charge'. The amount of fuel-air mixture is equal to the volume of the cylinder, the 'displacement' of the engine. That amount of charge yields a certain predictable amount of power.

You can get more power out of the same size engine by installing a compressor in front of the carburetor. This packs more fuel-air mixture into the cylinder, so you get more power when it ignites. But of course you use more fuel. A 'supercharger' is what this is called.

So the next idea is to install a compressor that only works when you need it. So now you have the best of both worlds. For regular driving, it's not working, so the engine is 'normally aspirated'. But when you need a burst of power, the compressor activates and gives you more temporary power. That's what turbocharger does.

The turbocharger works from exhaust fumes. When you stomp down on the pedal, the flow of exhaust gasses increases, and this makes the turbocharger spin. It spins at a very high rate of RPM, and it takes a while to reach that speed. So when you open the throttle, there's a fraction of a second before the turbocharger takes effect. You feel the car speed up, and then suddenly it speeds up a lot more. This can be a little disconcerting at first. That's what's meant by 'turbo lag'."

Throttle response:
Simply put, throttle response is a measure of how closely the car's power follows your foot's input on the gas pedal. When people complain about throttle response, they usually refer to delay between the time when their foot significantly mashes the pedal and when the car begins to accelerate to match the intended input. The delay is caused by software that regulates your input for fuel efficiency.

In a nutshell, throttle response concerns the car's initial reaction to a significant change in your foot's input to the pedal. While turbo lag deals with the time taken to spin up the chargers following a significant change in acceleration. The latter is more subtle if throttle response is reasonable because your engine's natural aspiration, especially with high performance engines such as the Ghibli's V6, is engaged almost immediately.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Guys…this is interesting. I drove a SQ4 non-sport today versus a SQ4 sport I drove last saturday. The throttle lag in the non-sport version is much more noticeable regardless of whether in "sport mode" or manual mode and furthermore, the car was noticeably slower. I'm not sure why this would be programed different in a car that doesn't have the Sport option.

Regardless, i spoke to the dealer about the difference between the Non Sport version of the SQ4 and they were not surprised. They also said in general, the throttle issue has been noticed by several people. They have been selling Maserati/Ferrari for 20 years so they aren't surprised and said they've seen this before. He said this is something that is being brought up and likely Maserati will send out an ECU update to fix. If not, the dealer can potentially fix this. They are also a McLaren dealer and they had a similar issue with the MP4 McLaren. McLaren sent out an update several months after the release and with the update, increased the HP by 25.

·
Registered
277 Posts
some engines aren't as quick to rev as others.

Keep in mind there are many factors that contribute to a delay in your foot pressing the pedal and that being converted to the car accelerating forward

Electrical delays (like throttle to body, computer, fuel injection, transmission electronics)

Transmission delays and transmission power loss

Engine delay (some engines dont pickup as quickly

Turbolag (no matter how fast your turbo spools there is still a measurable lag between when you throttle and when the turbo can receive pressure from the exhaust manifold to spin. There is also a delay between the air coming in through the intake, to the turbo, being pressurized, passing the intercooler, and entering the throttle body and intake manifold.

I'm sure everything plays a part here. But some of it can be fixed. While others might not be as easy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
well if the engine is heavy it has more rotational mass to spool up before reaching peak RPM. Thats why Ferrari has always gone flat plane vs cross plane in their v8s. Less rotational mass from the crank...

Now I can't speak for the ghibli, I'm not too familiar with its engine construction yet...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Guys…this is interesting. I drove a SQ4 non-sport today versus a SQ4 sport I drove last saturday.
By "non-sport", do you mean an SQ4 that does not have the Sports Package (i.e., does not have paddle shifters)? Or do you mean a base Ghibli (i.e., not the SQ4 version of the Ghibli)?

·
Registered
284 Posts
wasn't there some car maker that claimed it completely eliminated turbo lag in some of it's engines? i think this was either Ford or Chrysler, not sure.

·
Registered
348 Posts
By "non-sport", do you mean an SQ4 that does not have the Sports Package (i.e., does not have paddle shifters)? Or do you mean a base Ghibli (i.e., not the SQ4 version of the Ghibli)?
Non sport as in a car without Sport Package; both were SQ4s. Not sure if the non sport package car effected the throttle lag but that car was noticeable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just spoke with Maserati NA. They received my e-mail which I sent to Italy regarding the throttle response issue. Maserati NA is eager to hear from those that have experienced the throttle issue so they can determine what is happening. The experts on this blog should give call Maserati NA to describe the problem. They are eager to hear all information regarding your experiences with the Ghibli, the packages, options, anything that might need their attention. Maserati NA wants a successful new car launch and we can help being the first adopters.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sweet!

Thanks for posting this information. People should definitely call and let Maserati know of their experience.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just spoke with Maserati NA. They received my e-mail which I sent to Italy regarding the throttle response issue. Maserati NA is eager to hear from those that have experienced the throttle issue so they can determine what is happening. The experts on this blog should give call Maserati NA to describe the problem. They are eager to hear all information regarding your experiences with the Ghibli, the packages, options, anything that might need their attention. Maserati NA wants a successful new car launch and we can help being the first adopters.
Would you happen to know there number off hand?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts