Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the clips installed, completely addresses the metallic noise, leaving behind pure exhaust sound. Interesting thing is that until I read about the sound on this forum, assumed it was normal. Sounds very different now and much nicer with a deep exhaust note and no high frequency metallic rattle.

I remember the test drive car had the same noise. I would venture to guess all the cars made to date have this.

Would like to plug Justin Gray, the service manager at Stevens Creek Maserati in San Jose. He has been EXCELLENT on all the minor issues the car has had so far.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Nice! That's great to hear. Sounds like the dealerships may finally be learning how to address many of our cars' little quirky flaws.

·
Registered
666 Posts
got that fixed, too. Also a lose door lock in the rear left side door.
But the car still sounds like it is rattling in several places....

Now if they can fully correct the subwoofer issue.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just got the clips installed, completely addresses the metallic noise, leaving behind pure exhaust sound. Interesting thing is that until I read about the sound on this forum, assumed it was normal. Sounds very different now and much nicer with a deep exhaust note and no high frequency metallic rattle.

I remember the test drive car had the same noise. I would venture to guess all the cars made to date have this.

Would like to plug Justin Gray, the service manager at Stevens Creek Maserati in San Jose. He has been EXCELLENT on all the minor issues the car has had so far.
would you mind describing what the problem was?

·
Registered
863 Posts
@duke5021 i have it up on my post the picture of the receipt.
@punksterz626, its kind off a paper flapping in the wind kind of noise that you will hear if you accelerate. I drove a loaner car and boy was it obvious. It feels like coming from the engine bay.

Reactions: Deepankar Abrol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would describe the waste gate rattle sound as a thick metallic aluminum paper sheet scraping the floor when you accelerate. It's a high frequency metallic sound from the engine area unlike the exhaust sound which is all low frequency. The change makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Gibs could you please advise where this sound comes from? I hear a light rattling sound from the front right area when engine is iddling .... A bit like an old Diesel engine which is indeed not normal for a V6 petrol engine ... Obviously...

·
Registered
206 Posts
got that fixed, too. Also a lose door lock in the rear left side door.
But the car still sounds like it is rattling in several places....

Now if they can fully correct the subwoofer issue.
Hi yxc145,

Your local dealer can install foam tape on the contact points to correct vibration and apply Dyna-Mat on the sub-woofer. The process takes a about two hours. I can set up an appointment if you'd like?

Thanks,

Howie - MaseratiCares

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had an issue with my subwoofer too. Called the dealership in NJ that I leased car from and they did in fact fix it -- soundsmuch better. They WILL insulate it and then use dyna-mat. Takes about 1 hour max.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gibs could you please advise where this sound comes from? I hear a light rattling sound from the front right area when engine is iddling .... A bit like an old Diesel engine which is indeed not normal for a V6 petrol engine ... Obviously...
Well it's supposed to come from the turbo waste gates where ever those are (there are two as there are two clips to prevent them from vibrating). I have no ideas where in the engine bay these are but there is no way you cannot hear this sound, it's actually very prominent. I used to believe this sound was normal and part of the engine's sound, but once you realize it's not, it really starts to annoy you. Once you get the clips it becomes very obvious what the difference is.

The time you hear this at least in my case was during acceleration (probably when the turbos kick in). It's not always prominent (at cruising speed). Suggest you roll down the windows and try accelerating (not too hard, not too gently) from 15-60 mph and listen to the sound. The metallic tone is the waste gate rattle. Once it's gone. All you hear is deep exhaust, NO engine sound (relatively speaking).

If this sounds too complicated, just take your car in to get the clips. They can get you out in 45-60 and I guarantee you will hear the difference and sport a big grin on your drive home :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope, that's not the turbo wastegate rattle. I used to hear mine only when accelerating, and until I realized the difference, believed that's how the exhaust sounded. Pay attention to the sound while accelerating, and if you hear anything mid to high frequency, that's the twg rattle.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Nope, that's not the turbo wastegate rattle. I used to hear mine only when accelerating, and until I realized the difference, believed that's how the exhaust sounded. Pay attention to the sound while accelerating, and if you hear anything mid to high frequency, that's the twg rattle.
The other idea to hear the rattle is to drive in 35-40 mph range and accelerate gently and intermittently to maitain the speed and rpm in 2000-2500 at the same time. Pretty much everytime I accelerated (for 1-2 seconds) I could hear it. It is directly linked to acceleration.

But the best way is just to ask you dealer to fix it and then you should hear the difference.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The other idea to hear the rattle is to drive in 35-40 mph range and accelerate gently and intermittently to maitain the speed and rpm in 2000-2500 at the same time. Pretty much everytime I accelerated (for 1-2 seconds) I could hear it. It is directly linked to acceleration.

But the best way is just to ask you dealer to fix it and then you should hear the difference.
I think I noticed this metallic noise but I genuinely thought it was normal, ... will get it fixed at the next (and first) service in about ... 12,000km

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also got the clips installed by Justin at Stevens Creek (great service dept., horrible sales dept.). The annoying rattle has been reduced drastically, but I can still occasionally hear a faint rattling during acceleration. The improvement is enough for me to not notice the rattle with the radio on (low volume), so I'm not going to go back to the dealership.

While installing the clips, they also found that my coolant was leaking (which I had no idea about), and that got fixed....so I feel pretty lucky that they caught it now or else I would have brought the car back in when it started over heating.

still have some subwoofer rattles on certain songs, but after the first fix the sound improved drastically. the car is not 100% rattle free, but I'm pretty happy with the huge improvements after dropping the car off twice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also got the clips installed by Justin at Stevens Creek (great service dept., horrible sales dept.). The annoying rattle has been reduced drastically, but I can still occasionally hear a faint rattling during acceleration. The improvement is enough for me to not notice the rattle with the radio on (low volume), so I'm not going to go back to the dealership.

While installing the clips, they also found that my coolant was leaking (which I had no idea about), and that got fixed....so I feel pretty lucky that they caught it now or else I would have brought the car back in when it started over heating.

still have some subwoofer rattles on certain songs, but after the first fix the sound improved drastically. the car is not 100% rattle free, but I'm pretty happy with the huge improvements after dropping the car off twice.
Well hello fellow South Bay Ghibli owner. I think your clips went in the same day as mine. Justin mentioned a second car right after mine that was in and out. Mine stayed at the shop for a couple of days as there were scratches on inside of the speedometer glass and they had to take the dash apart to look at the version number of the part to order it from Italy.

My sales experience was okay. Liked the rep, manager was a different story.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had an issue with my subwoofer too. Called the dealership in NJ that I leased car from and they did in fact fix it -- soundsmuch better. They WILL insulate it and then use dyna-mat. Takes about 1 hour max.
That fix is not 100%. Maybe 60-70% improvement. I took it in 3 times. Still vibrates and sounds bad when you turn the volume above 15. I finally gave up. Someone on the thread is working with a dealer to come up with some type of solution and will make that suggestion to Maserati.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well hello fellow South Bay Ghibli owner. I think your clips went in the same day as mine. Justin mentioned a second car right after mine that was in and out. Mine stayed at the shop for a couple of days as there were scratches on inside of the speedometer glass and they had to take the dash apart to look at the version number of the part to order it from Italy.

The sales experience with Stevens Creek was so bad (non-responsive), I ended leasing from a different dealership. However, Justin is super responsive, so I'm going to probably get all my maintenance done at SC. And if I decide to get another Maserati after my lease is up (which is likely right now....but who knows in 2.5 years), I'll probably just deal with SC, as long as they decide to call/email me back this time.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Gibs--forgot to ask--what rentals are you getting when you drop off your car? My first was a GLK and second was a C-class (both new cars). I'm sure they are decent cars in their price range, but they drive like s**t compare to the Ghibli. My prior car was a Hyundai Elantra so I've never driven anything in in the 35-80k range...so have nothing to compare the C-class and GLK to. At this point, I am turned off by M-Benz from these two rentals. Wondering what your experience is like.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts