Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I don't know what its called but sometimes when I turn my car in very slow speeds like when backing out of driveway or entering a driveway during turns the tire somehow feels like it lost grip or slips. It feels as if there are pebbles on the pavement and the tire can't grip the road as you turn. Is it because of the tire or something with steering? Has anyone experience this or know what cause this? Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Zerg,
This has been discussed quite a bit on here. Look up posts about terrible Pirelli tires, wheel hop, etc..

In summary, it's caused by a combination of cold tires and/or the configuration of the differential's limited slip design. It sucks, but it's normal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zerg,
This has been discussed quite a bit on here. Look up posts about terrible Pirelli tires, wheel hop, etc..

In summary, it's caused by a combination of cold tires and/or the configuration of the differential's limited slip design. It sucks, but it's normal.
Oh, ok Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if I am experiencing the same problem, or something different. I hear a very noticible clink sound when trurning at slow speeds. Yes it's cold here, so I haven't been able to test vs warmer weather. The clunk is pretty loud and it really feels like something else is skipping with the drivetrain other than just the wheels. If it were the wheels it would just sound like rubber scraping against pavement- no? Or is the clunking sound and jerking of the entire car the same as everyone else is experiencing? Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's normal in low temperatures.
Even Snow tyres do it when very cold.
I would not worry, as long as when you drive straight, the steering feels positive.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I also experience this when pulling onto a roads from a stop. Assumed it was normal as well with the AWD system. SQ4 correct?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yes. But you should have winter tires in NY this time of the year :)

That will cure the issue and make your driving much safer.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have been pleased with the Pirelli all seasons the few times I've driven in the last few weeks. I can't remember if the noise is worse in the colder temps....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Normal in the cold. The Pirelli's do that at full lock or close to full, slow speed turning with cold tires.
Many performance tires do the same thing. The tires "checks." That's the term for it. Or skips. lol

Ron

·
Registered
115 Posts
I did expecience this quite often with my (Pirelli) summer tires, but not with my (Pirelli too) winter tires. French wheather is usually fairly mild, so even when "cold", winter tires do not harden too much, so to say (while summer tires will be harder at any given temperature, by definition), which may explain the difference. My guess is that it's the conjunction of high torque delivered by the engine at the beginning of an acceleration, resistance of front wheels due to (almost lock) sharp turn, and rear wheels limited slip differential, plus the AWD system (SQ4), all of this together, that gets a sort of hicup when rear wheels can't convey that torque to the road and start slipping. I got a place close to my home where in the beginning it always happenned at the exact same spot. I learned how to drive it without this happening, with a mixture of nicer movement of the steering wheel and gentler action on gas pedal, and this is enough for it never to happen anymore. No big deal IMHO.

Reactions: NYCSQ4

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok I don't know what its called but sometimes when I turn my car in very slow speeds like when backing out of driveway or entering a driveway during turns the tire somehow feels like it lost grip or slips. It feels as if there are pebbles on the pavement and the tire can't grip the road as you turn. Is it because of the tire or something with steering? Has anyone experience this or know what cause this? Thanks.

So from my understanding if this is the same issue I had it’s not the tires like everyone’s is telling you and it’s not a “charesteristic of the car” it’s the fluid in ur differentials and most importantly ur transfer case I replaced the fluid and added an additive and the problem is completely gone hope this helps !

·
Registered
644 Posts
So from my understanding if this is the same issue I had it’s not the tires like everyone’s is telling you and it’s not a “charesteristic of the car” it’s the fluid in ur differentials and most importantly ur transfer case I replaced the fluid and added an additive and the problem is completely gone hope this helps !
no. you're confusing a dead threads issues for your occurrences.
look up ackerman effect.
transfer case issues wouldn't manifest only on turning the front wheels.
maserati doesn't recommend any additives.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Same skip here on occasion no matter the weather, usually pulling out of somewhere with a turned wheel. Another reason I pray for these Pirelli AS's to wear out soon so I can put some nice Michelin softies on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On this thread and the other related ones, you’ll find discussions pointing to the steering geometry deviating from Ackermann geometry, and lack of grip due to colder tyre temperatures. While they do play a part, another factor that is not often discussed is the limited slip differential our cars come equipped with. Close to or at full lock, you’d have a considerable speed differential between the rear wheels. This will force the differential to lock up as the car accelerates through the turn. The click you refer to could just be the sound of the diff locking up. Since dry tarmac is a high traction surface, the inside wheel cannot lose traction smoothly so to speak. Stress builds up until the point at which torque applied to the tyre overcomes the grip and the tyre skips, often with a little jerk.
In regular cars this wouldn’t happen since they most probably would have an open diff.
The behavior is quite normal and there is nothing to be worried about. As long as you are not driving in a tight circle all the time, all the components should do just fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts