Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a Maserati Ghibli 6 months ago which was 3 months old when I got it and would like to know if any owners experience the following issues:-

1. When I turn the car in full lock in a circle the wheels skip slightly and shudder.
This happens on both locks, left turn and right turn and will also happen when turning at say traffic lights.
I believe the car had larger wheels as an extra.
Anyway, I mentioned this to the dealer who have informed me it is a characteristic of this model car but I find it hard to believe and would love to know if it is true.
I can't get my head round it as can't believe any car could be manufactured with this characteristic and it feels completely wrong.
Any comments much appreciated.

2. The car has this start stop carry on when stationery which I don't like and I asked the dealer if it could be disabled to which they said yes.
After having the car back it was ok for a week or so but has now returned to the stop start system again.
Can anyone confirm if this can be permanently disabled or do I have a fault.
3. I experience quite loud wind noise above 65mph from driver and passenger windows which again I returned the car for fixing but what ever they did it is still very noticeable.
In fact if I slightly push against the window when driving at high speed you hear the wind noise.
Anyone advise if this is normal for this model car?

Many Thanks. Robert

·
Registered
106 Posts
I too have experienced this shudder, but as I very rarely use full lock have become used to it & took this as being normal.
I would like to think this is not detrimental to the car.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
this is 100% related to the car having "summer" tires and the outside temp being cold. I will assume where you live it is getting cold outside. the tires are very soft and made for summer use only, so using them in cold temps will cause them to shudder or jump off the road when turning or flooring the gas pedal.

to correct this problem you will either need to swap out the tires for all season tires. for now I would let it go and when they are bald just replace them with all seasons. there is nothing wrong with the car though, its just the tires and temp.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have the same problem with 20" summer tires and 18" winter tires so don't think it's linked to the tire type

·
Registered
2 Posts
Prior to buying the Ghibli SQ4 I had an older rear-wheeel drive Quattroporte that did this when accelerting out of a sharp corner turn. I thought it was a result of too much torque, or a problem with the differential. Unfortunately, I notice the same effect (to a lesser degree) with the new all-wheel drive Ghibli, and I agree with others that this should not be.

·
Registered
480 Posts
At our magazine shoot last weekend this very issue came up regarding tires.

The Tech guys from Manhattan Maserati said it was the tires themselves, not a deficiency with the Ghibli's design. As MRPA1999 stated, the summer tire rubber compound is great when the temperatures are high, road temps are high and friction causes the tires to stick to the road. However the summer performance tire compound is not suited for temperatures under 50 degrees, they harden and lose their ability to grip and stick.

The only alternative is to either wait for the tires to heat up, (not practical in 30 degree freezing temperatures) or, as most people on this forum are doing, swap out the tires for winter ones.

I have the Michelin all seasons that came with my car and they are doing fine in the cold weather. I am not driving the car in snow or salty conditions and will not take the car out this winter if there is any snow, ice or salt on the roads so I am not one to judge their snow performance. That said, most people are swapping out to the Pirelli winter snow tires.

Steve

·
Administrator
2,410 Posts
I will say my studdering/skipping started when the weather was cold this winter, went away for summer, came back in Oct and completely stopped when I switched out to the Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter 20" rims/tires. I too don't plan on driving in bad weather unless absolutely necessary. Although I plan to test (play) the car in fresh white snow before they put the salt/gravel down. I have a warm bay all ready to plug in and hibernate the car for winter if the weather is bad and/or roads become nothing but potholes, gravel, salt and magnesium sulfate.

As as aside, my dealer emailed to say my parts finally came in from Italy (ordered in August) so next week I go in for that and the firewall insulation and wastegate clips. Ironically, the aftermarket guy told me about the tire special (50% off) ... but alias I bought them in March for a paltry discount from the Experience group who didn't tell me about the full Maserati discount.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Uk Ghibli also shudders on full lock
I think it is a rear wheel drive thing.
You get a much tighter turning circle (almost too tight)
Not tyre related as all seem to do it regardless of tyres etc.
Also when turning onto a main road slight shudder from rear end.
Maybe just a Ghibli thing?
Or does the QP also do same?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Originally Posted by MassamanI have recently purchased a Maserati Ghibli 6 months ago which was 3 months old when I got it and would like to know if any owners experience the following issues:-

1. When I turn the car in full lock in a circle the wheels skip slightly and shudder.
This happens on both locks, left turn and right turn and will also happen when turning at say traffic lights.
I believe the car had larger wheels as an extra.
Anyway, I mentioned this to the dealer who have informed me it is a characteristic of this model car but I find it hard to believe and would love to know if it is true.
I can't get my head round it as can't believe any car could be manufactured with this characteristic and it feels completely wrong.
Any comments much appreciated.

2. The car has this start stop carry on when stationery which I don't like and I asked the dealer if it could be disabled to which they said yes.
After having the car back it was ok for a week or so but has now returned to the stop start system again.
Can anyone confirm if this can be permanently disabled or do I have a fault.
3. I experience quite loud wind noise above 65mph from driver and passenger windows which again I returned the car for fixing but what ever they did it is still very noticeable.
In fact if I slightly push against the window when driving at high speed you hear the wind noise.

Many Thanks. Robert
Hi Robert,

My name is Howie, I'm from MaeratiCares - MNA's official online customer service agent.

I recommend you take it to dealer again. Could you kindly send me a PM with your VIN or the name of your dealer and I can help look further into this.

Thanks,

Howie - MaseratiCares

·
Administrator
2,410 Posts
Many Thanks. Robert
I did find the wind noise was objectionable especially on the drivers side. The dealer did a window travel adjustment which improved quite a bit, but not a compete seal. Comments were the frame-less windows are prone to the air leaks at higher speeds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have the shuddering when making turns. The service manager informed me that the summer tires were the cause. It seems that they were meant for warmer weather. I was told the remedy was to buy winter tires. Maserati is currently running a sale on the winter tires (about $500 off) but that involves changing tires every 6 months not to mention rebalancing and storing. Does anyone know if the car will perform well with all season tires.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I too have the shuddering when making turns. The service manager informed me that the summer tires were the cause. It seems that they were meant for warmer weather. I was told the remedy was to buy winter tires. Maserati is currently running a sale on the winter tires (about $500 off) but that involves changing tires every 6 months not to mention rebalancing and storing. Does anyone know if the car will perform well with all season tires.
I have the Maserati winter kit (tires and wheels) and the shuddering is still there so it is NOT tire related.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not just during cold temps

this is 100% related to the car having "summer" tires and the outside temp being cold. I will assume where you live it is getting cold outside. the tires are very soft and made for summer use only, so using them in cold temps will cause them to shudder or jump off the road when turning or flooring the gas pedal.

to correct this problem you will either need to swap out the tires for all season tires. for now I would let it go and when they are bald just replace them with all seasons. there is nothing wrong with the car though, its just the tires and temp.
Hi MRPA. Just FYI, I have heard others say that it is a cold weather related problem, but I have had this problem every day, all year long since getting the ghibli with 18 inch tires - not just when it is cold out. In fact, it seemed worse this summer than last winter!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm getting shuttering as well. It was noticeable during low speed tight radius turns. It was wet in the 70's here yesterday, not sure cold weather + summer tires has everything to do with it. It could just be how the differentials handle these type of turns.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Speaking from experience on my Ghibli, nothing wrong with your cars, it's the tight diff along with the summer tires. Once you out on winter tires it stops. It's my second winter with the car and once it got cold (below 0 degrees Celsius) it started. Then once I put winter tired on it stopped.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts