Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
My dealer told me its nothing to worry about because its completely normal on the ghibli ... its the concept of the car...(yeah sure)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Howie (MaseratiCares) - how about an 18' all wheel drive tire option? They don't exist. Only option drivers with 18's have is to switch back and forth from summer to winter tires.

I had the dealership look for me (and I looked online myself) and all season 18's don't exist for the SQ4.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was told this was due to the AWD. It really is quite annoying, in fact, and may be cause for me to get rid of it and get something else. Is this an AWD thing ultimately?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same shuddering and wind noise in my car. I live in the North East and the Temp has been in the Low 30's. The problem seems to go away after you drive the car till the Tire heats up but comes back after you leave it outside in the cold. My plan is to drive the car only on the weekends when the weather is nice. Any suggestion on a battery charger that I can use to keep the battery from dying.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same thing on my car. Most cars come with all season tires. Our cars came with summer performance tires. Once the temp drops this is what they do as our differential is very tight also. Once I swap to winter tires the its gone (2nd year).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought my QS4 in Chicago over Thanksgiving and called the dealer the next day w/ the shuddering tires problem. They told me that it was the summer tires in the cold. Drove it home to Alabama and had no problems. Temperature dropper to 38 this evening and it recurred. Never had a problem w/ summer tires in the cold on an A6 AWD, M3 or 911. Sounds like it needs a fix from Maserati.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just bought my QS4 in Chicago over Thanksgiving and called the dealer the next day w/ the shuddering tires problem. They told me that it was the summer tires in the cold. Drove it home to Alabama and had no problems. Temperature dropper to 38 this evening and it recurred. Never had a problem w/ summer tires in the cold on an A6 AWD, M3 or 911. Sounds like it needs a fix from Maserati.
Congratulations on your new Ghibli mate. Cheers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Originally Posted by duke5021Howie (MaseratiCares) - how about an 18' all wheel drive tire option? They don't exist. Only option drivers with 18's have is to switch back and forth from summer to winter tires.

I had the dealership look for me (and I looked online myself) and all season 18's don't exist for the SQ4.
Hi duke5021,

I spoke with one of the technical managers at MNA and I was informed that there are currently no plans to develop an OE all season tire in 235/50 R18 and 275/45 R18 sizes. This is a decision made by the tire manufactures based on demand and, unfortunately, our very limited number of vehicles in this category are not enough to influence them to make our desired decision. Therefore, it is foreseen that owners of MY14 Ghibli SQ4 will be required to swap summer tires for winter tires or, ultimately, move up one wheel size to allow for the 19� AST to be fitted.

Please note that there are all season options for the base 2014 Ghibli model (RWD) that was fitted on 235/50 R18 on all four corners. However, none are approved as OE by Maserati.

There is also the cash incentive on winter tires offered at select dealerships, which I would encourage you to take advantage of.

I hope that you find this information helpful in some way. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Warm Regards,
Erica (MaseratiCares)

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I have recently purchased a Maserati Ghibli 6 months ago which was 3 months old when I got it and would like to know if any owners experience the following issues:-

1. When I turn the car in full lock in a circle the wheels skip slightly and shudder.
This happens on both locks, left turn and right turn and will also happen when turning at say traffic lights.
I believe the car had larger wheels as an extra.
Anyway, I mentioned this to the dealer who have informed me it is a characteristic of this model car but I find it hard to believe and would love to know if it is true.
I can't get my head round it as can't believe any car could be manufactured with this characteristic and it feels completely wrong.
Any comments much appreciated.

2. The car has this start stop carry on when stationery which I don't like and I asked the dealer if it could be disabled to which they said yes.
After having the car back it was ok for a week or so but has now returned to the stop start system again.
Can anyone confirm if this can be permanently disabled or do I have a fault.
3. I experience quite loud wind noise above 65mph from driver and passenger windows which again I returned the car for fixing but what ever they did it is still very noticeable.
In fact if I slightly push against the window when driving at high speed you hear the wind noise.
Anyone advise if this is normal for this model car?

Many Thanks. Robert
This just started to happen to my SQ last week, the first really cold week in New York for this winter. It ironically happened for the first time the night after I had my brake pads replaced. I was tempted to take it back to the mechanics and tell them they did something wrong but searching this forum and finding that it could just be the cold weather with summer tires makes sense. The tires are otherwise fine, I drove New York to Atlantic City to Philadelphia and back with no other tire or brake problems. The tires just skip a few beats when pulling out of a parking spot after it’s been sitting cold.
Anyone have a recommendation for winter and/or all season tires?

·
Super Moderator
1,996 Posts
I use a second set of rims mounted with Pirelli SottoZero 3's for winter ... I prefer this to an all season. Others have used all season from Pirelli, Michelin and Continental.
I wanted to maintain 20" rims, which limited my options, so stayed with Pirelli.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts