Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my test drive on the diesel this weekend.

Still can't decide between the petrol and diesel variants.

It appears the "S" and the other petrol model won't be in the UK for a few weeks still.

Think I'll have to be patient before I choose, unless the diesel blows me away.

Been driving Alfa Romeo's for 20 years, so want to drive the Ghibli before I order in case I don't like it, although from what I've seen that's pretty unlikely!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Why in the wide world of sports would you consider buying the diesel??? It's inferior in every way except perhaps fuel econ. In that case ordering a Ghibli with diesel is like ordering a triple decker cheese burger and jumbo fries (er chips my UK friend) with a diet coke. Unless you're forced by some crazy European gov't mandate to purchase the diesel, please help a yank undersand. ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very helpful, thanks, and a Happy New Year to you!

Performance on the diesel is pretty good. Interested to hear it with the clever sound devices as well.

Will probably wait for the gas guzzler, but it's very frustrating with no sign of the "standard" petrol model until February in the UK.

One point, I have never known of a diesel version of the same car being cheaper than the petrol. No-one at Maserati has been able to explain it. I assumed it was being put out as almost a "loss leader" to grab some market share. If that starts to work, I imagine the price will go up soon after.

Off to our January sales with my wife now. I'm only going for the burger and CHIPS!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Why in the wide world of sports would you consider buying the diesel??? It's inferior in every way except perhaps fuel econ. In that case ordering a Ghibli with diesel is like ordering a triple decker cheese burger and jumbo fries (er chips my UK friend) with a diet coke. Unless you're forced by some crazy European gov't mandate to purchase the diesel, please help a yank understand. ;)
Actually current diesel cars at the Maserati end of the market are not inferior to petrol in my opinion. They are plenty fast enough and their mid range torque is much better than petrol engined cars. As long as you do not take part in a traffic light drag race they are every bit as good as petrol cars for every day use.

This plus the cost of fuel in Europe and a tax system based on CO2 emissions which punishes petrol engines made it an easy choice for me.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Why in the wide world of sports would you consider buying the diesel??? It's inferior in every way except perhaps fuel econ. In that case ordering a Ghibli with diesel is like ordering a triple decker cheese burger and jumbo fries (er chips my UK friend) with a diet coke. Unless you're forced by some crazy European gov't mandate to purchase the diesel, please help a yank undersand. ;)
Not everyone will care about crazy top of the line performance, for some the diesel will be enough, with the added perk being fuel efficiency :D

·
Registered
852 Posts
Variety is what makes the world go around and why Global companies have to consider their marketing strategies for each country! Disney Paris almost closed until they offered wine and changed the menus to be more country specific.................Ah Americans of which I am one........faster bigger better..........why no diesel at introduction or maybe ever!!! But I am taking mine to the track and while I may not get it to 177 I am sure my instructor can and I will be in the passenger seat hopefully not fainting!!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
which alfas have you owned in the past?
Nothing particularly exciting - all new ones.

A 75 back in 1988, followed by a 156, then a 166, back to my youth with a GT, finally a 159.

All great cars as far as I'm concerned. My son took the GT off me when it was four years old and now has a new Guilietta.

Until they replace the 159 - some time in 2015 apparently - I haven't seen another car I fancied. Couldn't afford a new Quattroporte, didn't want a second hand one, but have always fancied a Maserati. The Ghibli fits the bill for me, although it's a bit more than I am used to paying. After the test drive on Saturday in the diesel I just need to decide whether to wait to drive the petrol or bite the bullet straight away and order the diesel.

What's your car history?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not everyone will care about crazy top of the line performance
True. But in my view Maserati is a semi-exotic car; people who pay for it can (should) afford it. In addition Maserati is a driver's car, the company has (almost) always put performance first. The diesel offering exists in Euro markets primarily to compete with German cars in that segment -- all of which wouldn't exist if diesel weren't more cost effective there. But surely if one purchases a nearly $100k automobile, one can easily afford the petro/diesel cost difference. If not, one should seriously consider a more affordable set of wheels.

Think of it this way. If the S (or S Q4) options were free and petro/diesel fuel costs were identical, would you still opt for the diesel?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Think of it this way. If the S (or S Q4) options were free and petrol/diesel fuel costs were identical, would you still opt for the diesel?
I live in the real world where the upgrade is not free and the extra cost of having a petrol car is considerable. In the UK most cars at this level are company owned and the tax system drives users to buy diesel cars. In a fantasy world where the S (the Q4 is not available in the UK or any other RHD market) cost the same and did not bring any tax penalty of course I would have it.

If you have never tried a high end European diesel car I would encourage you to do so they are not the trucks you may think them to be.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really enjoyed it!

The diesel purred along like a dream.

With the stiffened suspension and in sport mode it flew.

Handling was excellent on some wet roads.

It's a very solid car and was just what I expected after the reviews I've read.

At the end of the drive, my dealer got me to get out of the car and stand behind it. He revved it up in "normal" mode and it sounded good. He then swopped to "sport" mode, revved it up and it sounded fantastic!

He has a petrol version which I'm driving (hopefully) next week and then I'll make my decision.

Getting a couple of insurance quotes too, as I know it will be pricier than my previous Alfas.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I guess I should add that there was a short lag when initially pulling away, but I think that is a matter of getting used to accelerator pedal and giving it a bit more "welly" if necessary. The car only had 100 miles on the clock and was probably a bit tight, but I'm in no doubt it's the car I want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got my test drive on the diesel this weekend.

Still can't decide between the petrol and diesel variants.

It appears the "S" and the other petrol model won't be in the UK for a few weeks still.

Think I'll have to be patient before I choose, unless the diesel blows me away.

Been driving Alfa Romeo's for 20 years, so want to drive the Ghibli before I order in case I don't like it, although from what I've seen that's pretty unlikely!
I'm interested to hear about your diesel test drive. I thought it was extremely noisy?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, not for me anyway.

My wife sat in the back (her choice) and said it was OK, but noisy and bumpy in sport mode.

She does understand (bless her!) that it's a driver's car and it should be noisy and firmer when driven as a sports saloon.

I've been an Alfa Romeo driver for over 20 years, so perhaps I'm used to accepting less than one might expect from a Maserati. I will get the Ghibli as I think it looks fantastic. I also accept a certain "quirkiness" that you get with an Italian car, but I'd rather that than the boring BMW/Audi/Lexus/Mercedes equivalent.

Test driving the petrol Ghibli next week so will compare before I choose.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
A helpful comment from my dealer was that once I choose the model, he may be able to intervene in orders he has already placed before production is underway and I can get the spec I want. It could save me a few weeks from order to delivery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good luck Essex,

I've been waiting for delivery of my diesel for the past 2 months!
Having been driving merc's and bmw's I'm fed up of the monotony!!!
I chose diesel as I intend to do 50,000 miles plus per year on business.
I don't think I will see the car until March as I'm told from Europe the lhd market takes precedent.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you test drive the car before ordering?

I've driven the diesel and really liked it, but will try the petrol version before I order.

I'm retired and only do about 8K miles a year, so not so bothered about fuel consumption. I still find it odd though that the diesel is nearly £4K cheaper.

My heart will rule in the end.

My dealer said he may be able to change the spec to what I want, within reason, from cars he has on order. He has cars at an early stage of the production process, so I'll see what he can do for me next week after I choose my spec.

If I have to start from scratch with a new factory order! I'm expecting a wait of about 12 weeks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, I haven't driven one yet, my deposit was put down in august. Another factor you may want to consider is the residual value is expected to be higher on the diesel compared to the petrol model. (Check with the dealer!)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts