1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have Continental DWS and I like it so far.
I went with DWS because I live in an area where it snows a lot in Winter. DWS is best known for its grip in the snow, however it does lose some performance due to this.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I swear by the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3's on my 19 inch rims.

Pilot Sport A/S 3 | Michelin Tires

Remember something very important about our tires...since our tires are different front and rear sizes you cannot rotate them like uniform sized tires. Since you cannot rotate the tires, the wear is increased and as such, the tire mileage warranties are halved. Read the fine print!!!! My 45,000 mile warranty is only good for 22,500 miles.

Steve

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve

How is the performance of the Michelin AS tires. Do they perform good??

Good point about the mileage thing.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The Michelins perform excellently! handling is great, and they are quiet on the highway. Look them up and see independent reviews. I had Michelins MXV on my Mercedes and I put Pirellis on as a replacement. I regretted that move and if and when I replace the Ghibli tires I will not switch from the Michelins. (Also Costco carries them and they are cheaper than Tire rack. 4 tires, balanced, mounted and road hazard warranty was $1,200 [tpms were an additional $100 or so]

Steve

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
I've had excellent results with Michelin's and use them exclusively for all my cars MXV and Pilots. All of which I do through Costco like Spsesq mentions.

Costco struggled with my 20" staggered tire combination, so I decided to buy a complete set of winter rims / Sotto3 tires (unfortunately not from Costco) to change in and out seasonally.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
My vote would be Michelin as well. They are more costly, but you get what you pay for. The mileage warranty on the tire is true to what they list as well (under normal driving conditions).

if you want the best price then go to

www.discounttiredirect.com

low price guarantee, free shipping, no sales tax! and BEST of all they warranty the tires for any reason! if you drive over a nail, blowout, your ex wife slashes your tire, whatever the case may be they will replace the tire FREE of charge! no questions asked! i have gotten many tires replaced by them, they are awesome!

TPMS - you DONT need them and they DO NOT need to be replaced. your factory ones are good for life.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
The 'Conti' extremes have more grip in severe condiitons but for the other times of the year Michelins are the way to go

Originally I was going the two wheel/tire set route on the 2014, but now I am getting a 2015 I will go the UHP Michelin all-season, wheel/tire coverage route

DD

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is not the exact all season tire sizes for the 20" Uranos that I can find, unless I'm wrong. Closest I can find are the Conti DWS with 245/40/20 which works, but the rear they only have the 285/30/20 instead of 285/35/20. Will that be a problem?

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
There is not the exact all season tire sizes for the 20" Uranos that I can find, unless I'm wrong. Closest I can find are the Conti DWS with 245/40/20 which works, but the rear they only have the 285/30/20 instead of 285/35/20. Will that be a problem?
Yes you can put a 30 on, it will be slightly lower profile though and spin just a fraction of a second faster. Your speedometer will be off by about 2-3 mph. The speedometer will read higher then you're actually going.

I personally would not do it. I would stick to using proper "plus size" tire sizes.

In order to make this work you need to change front tire size as well. The correct plus size tire would be these, do a search now.

Front - 245/35-20
Rear - 295/30-20

That size above will produce the same rotation as the ones you have now, only difference is they will be wider.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
In all honesty it's going to be hard to find "all season" matching front and rear sets with tires this size.

Your are most likely going to end up buying either "summer" tires and not driving the car as much in the winter or you will need to buy a set of "summer" tires and then another set of "winter" tires and switch them out each winter.

This is primarily the reason I went with the 19s since there are many many more options avail.

So from what I can tell you need 2 sets of tires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In all honesty it's going to be hard to find "all season" matching front and rear sets with tires this size.

Your are most likely going to end up buying either "summer" tires and not driving the car as much in the winter or you will need to buy a set of "summer" tires and then another set of "winter" tires and switch them out each winter.

This is primarily the reason I went with the 19s since there are many many more options avail.

So from what I can tell you need 2 sets of tires.
Thanks for your advise. Cheers.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Coming back to this thread that i started sometime back. I see some more discussion on the All Season vs the Summer Performance tires.

I really need to know the difference of performance between putting All season and the summer performance tires.

Does the high speed driving gets affected once you put on All Season compare to Summer performance tires??

For sure i wont be driving hard in winter so it really doesnt matter but I would like to know how good All Season tires perform in summer under spirited driving??

mrpa your comment would be handy here and i would like all who have got All season please chime in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The best all season tires I would say are the Continental Conti Extreme Contacts DWS. I had them in 19" on my old QP and they were wonderful. I live in Boston so you know the weather we get here. Just wish they make those tires in 21" to fit my new Ghibli!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I still have to say I am thrilled with my. Michelin Pilot a/s 3. I have had Pirelli on my Mercedes and Contis on my wife's Hyundai. My Michelline give a better feel and ride comfort combination.

Michelin by far the best on the Ghibli

But ride and feel are all personal choices. Buy what you feel gives best control and ride feel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts