Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving this from my intro thread, hopefully to get more feedback/help.

i've ordered some LEDs for the under door lights, with the hopes that they'll be bright enough for me to play with the plastic housing and possibly embed a Maserati logo to project onto the ground.

The first challenge I see is taking the plastic piece that covers the light, and smoothing it out so it doesn't have the light dispersing plastic bumps, but rather a clear, flat piece of plastic that will be more transparent. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts around this, i'm open to suggestion. I'm not sure if sanding plastic would allow it to be clear enough for this? Maybe some sort of heat or acid bath? Not sure how to get started on this part.

Then the second challenge is to put a Maserati logo on that piece of plastic in such a way that when the door is open, the Maserati logo shines through onto the ground.

Attached is a pic of the effect i'm trying to copy from an Evoque, and a couple of pictures of the light fixture.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have done this myself on previous vehicles and here is what I have done. If you know how to grab power from the courtesy light under the doors you are in good shape.
Buy this kit or any one you want, this is only an example from a quick google search.
Maserati LED Door Projector Courtesy Puddle Logo Lights -MR. KUSTOM CHICAGO CAR ACCESSORIES * AUTOMOTIVE ACCESSORIES * CUSTOMIZING CARS * AUTO WINDOW TINTING CHICAGO * HALO HEADLIGHTS CHICAGO * CUSTOM WHEELS * CAR HID LIGHTS * TONNEAU COVERS *LED LOG

The next part is the tough part. You will need to see if you can find a location under the door panel where you can drill into the door a hole(they provide you the right size drill bit with the kit) the width of the projector and also the depth unobstructed inside the door panel. Once you have that you will just need to wire from the courtesy light to the projectors. It's a simple two wire hook up. Now if you don't want to touch the courtesy harness, you can get something like this
2X 5050 6 SMD LED Car Interior Light T10 Festoon Dome BA9S Adapter 668 CL012 | eBay
This will allow you to take the power from the courtesy light using the bulb and connect it's wires to the projectors. Ofcourse you will need to strip that adapter plastic from these and just use the bare wires to connect.
good luck...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts