Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to find information on how to update the navigation systems map data. Page 63 of MTC guide mentions that for updating navigation map data, refer to www.Maserati.com I have looked everywhere on the site and couldn't find any guidance around map updates. Does anybody know if the map data is user upgradeable or does it require dealer update?

I know that Garmin provides free or paid lifetime map updates, is that something that is applicable to MTC?
A new major highway upgrade with tens of new exits and connectors has opened in the greater Vancouver area and I have a new Garmin map update for my portable Garmin GPS and I'd like to get the update for my car too.

Regards,

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
found this in the Maserati store

Search results for: 'map'
Thanks for your reply, I had seen that item before I posted, if you read the description of that item, it has nothing to do with Ghibli and the new MTC. That item only provides limited European map update for older navigation system in previous generation QP and GT.

So, still any help with new MTC based navigation map update is appreciated. Please note that Garmin issues at least issues 4 map updates for North America per year.

Regards,

·
Registered
80 Posts
So, I have 2014 model, and now it is 2015. Recently my Navigation System suggested to update the map. So, I have gone to my dealer to see how much it will cost? They quoted me around 900 bucks for map update! I was flabbergasted. I never heard about such a price to update maps. Than they explained to me that they need to replace entire panel to update maps!

Is that so?

Did anyone try to update map on their 2014 model? Just curious?

Thank you.

Fox

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
That sounds ridiculous.

As of a few weeks ago there were no map updates for the unit. One is expected to come soon. It might even be able to be downloaded over air with Nav unit or disc or usb.

I got a similar screen request to update ... directed me to the Chrysler site for files. That's why I checked with my aftermarket sales rep.

I'll send him a note and see if there are any updates.

·
Registered
80 Posts
As of a few weeks ago there were no map updates for the unit. One is expected to come soon. It might even be able to be downloaded over air with Nav unit or disc or usb.
Well... So when I got the message from navigation system that I should update, I first went to website for uconnect. Apparently there were options to update the maps for several automakers such as: Dodge, Jeep, Ram etc and Maserati was listed as well. Selecting Lancia for instance allows me to buy map by downloading it. However, for Maserati it simple says: "See Your Dealer for map update information". Hence, my visit in dealership.

Fox

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
My Maserati service adviser just responded this morning there is no available update method or agreed upon price yet for the 2014 Ghibli Navigation system.

I use Mainline in Devon, PA outside of Philly which is a 90 minute drive for me ... can't beat their pro-activeness in calling me with updates, experienced service mechanics and response times. Might want to consider a change in Maserati service if your dealer is looking to charge you $900 for this service.

Reactions: praj7

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
$900 are they smoking something? The map update should be free. Also it should update directly, no trip to dealer required. It's no different than your cell phone nav doing an update.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Maserati uses Garmin systems. Garmin uses a company that use to be called Navteq and now goes by the name of HERE. To get map updates for HERE products you are directed to uses their website listed below.

http://allthingsnav.navigation.com

It doesn't appear the Maserati update is ready just yet but it's coming very soon. Handheld units receiver quarterly updates, in car units receive annual updates, some are free, some are on a fee basis.

·
Registered
80 Posts
$900 are they smoking something? The map update should be free. Also it should update directly, no trip to dealer required. It's no different than your cell phone nav doing an update.
When you compare UConnect dashboard between 2014 and 2015 models, they differ. 2015 have more options than 2014. I think that is the reason they referred to have need to change hardware. I still don't understand why they need to do that since map is only one of the options in UConnect, but maybe they didn't know better.

Fox

·
Registered
80 Posts
To get map updates for HERE products you are directed to uses their website listed below.

GPS Navigation System | HERE | Navigation.com

It doesn't appear the Maserati update is ready just yet but it's coming very soon. Handheld units receiver quarterly updates, in car units receive annual updates, some are free, some are on a fee basis.
Thank you MRPA1999. I went to that site, but in fact Maserati is not listed. I assume both 2014 and 2015 models have the same map and the only difference is the UConnect software having more options in 2015 model.

Fox

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
I assume both 2014 and 2015 models have the same map and the only difference is the UConnect software having more options in 2015 model.Fox
The map updates are the same for the 2014-2016 models. You're right there are a couple more features added to the 2015/2016 UConnect.

Sadly, the updated map data is available, (and likely included in newer models) and car is fully capable of downloading without dealer intervention. Maserati needs to approve release of updates. I'm sure they are trying to figure how they can profit from this exercise ... add a % to the map NAV update or require car to come to dealer for map upgrade. Hoping I'm wrong.

Basically same "profit" story with extended warranty for Ghibli ... none available yet, but car can be re-certified by dealer. Seems like they want you to trade in your car for a new one before year 4, than they will re-certify and resell vehicle to attract folks with a lower price point and 2-3 years of Maserati warranty coverage.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Yeah all new ghibli are still running original map software. The new updates will be out soon though. Sadly I don't think it will be free. If you had a handheld unit it's free but in car OE units are fee based, total BS in my opinion ESP considering the nav cost several K as an upgrade versus free software in iPhone, it's sick. The GT use to cost $550 to update. It beats $900 but it's still BS.

You may be better off going to dealer and tell them your maps don't work correctly and it goes blank from time to time and sends you in wrong direction. Perhaps you can get them to perform the update thru the warranty on the basis of faulty software or faulty unit. Who knows. I would surely try that before handing over even more cash and going further under water.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
download the "waze" app to your iPhone it will blow the ghibli GPS away. It's highly accurate, in fact I don't think it's ever been wrong - makes real time changes based on real time traffic conditions, it alerts you for cars on shoulder, police, potholes, red light cameras, current traffic speeds on certain roads, etc, etc, all in real time. Free!

Only downside is the screen size.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I received an email from Maserati dealer asking if I wanted to update the maps. It did not say how much it was, i'll let you know once I have the info.

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
Nav Updates just came out this week for the MY 2014-2015 Ghibli.
My quote - Map Update and Installation $350 ... a new dealer profit center.

Coincidentally, I was going in this week for the Nav software update / campaign which just came out in September.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nav Updates just came out this week for the MY 2014-2015 Ghibli.
My quote - Map Update and Installation $350 ... a new dealer profit center.

Coincidentally, I was going in this week for the Nav software update / campaign which just came out in September.
Do you know if the update is only regarding the US or if there is an update for Europe too?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts