Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - i noticed that the base Ghibli US spec is rated @ 345 HP , while the Euro spec is rated @ 325 HP (they read in CV in Euro spec which is 330 CV - conversion to HP would be 325 HP) !! Any idea why this difference in 20 HP between the two? Is it for better fuel efficiency for the lower rating (considering high EU fuel prices) or is it some kind of a marketing thing for Maserati to get a foothold in the US market!

Assume this difference can be sorted with an after market tuning box or engine management hack later. What do you guys think!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think it might have something to do with CO2 emissions. In Italy for example the diesel Ghibli has 250 hp, but for the rest of Europe it has 275. In Italy it has less power for tax reasons, I believe.

·
Registered
324 Posts
CO2 emissions... meanwhile China emits planetoid sized masses of CO2 into the atmosphere daily. But yeah, let's shave off 25 hp and save the world. And don't humans vent CO2... Ok, no politics here. <ducks>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately it seems the rest of the World (other than US/Canada and maybe South America) gets the EU spec car - so it will be short of 20 hp all over!! I can understand if its only a Italy thing for the sake of emissions! but shaving it off across the board is quite a toughy....especially for someone picking up a 'base' version every additional hp helps - also considering this is quite a heavy car :(

Wonder what kind of a performance difference 20 hp would make on the ghibli!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Is there a difference in measurement systems, I know imperial and US gallons are different so MPG figures do not equate.

From Wikipedia
The mechanical horsepower, also known as imperial horsepower, of exactly 550 foot-pounds per second is approximately equivalent to 745.7 watts.
The metric horsepower of 75 kgf-m per second is approximately equivalent to 735.5 watts.

But this would seem to argue for a bigger difference as:
325 x 735.5 = 239,037.5w
340 x 745.7 = 253,538.0w

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The HP stated for US spec is 345 HP. The Euro Spec is shown in CV and not HP (atleast in some markets , maybe a HP version in some others). With all the conversions done there is a 20 HP difference - but there is something odd in this difference as the dealer or people from Maserati (atleast people i met from there) had a good explanation. The dealer here was BS*ing through his teeth , as they consider buyers as totally stupid and brainless - an assumption they have made of the handful of customers walking through their doors instead of walking down the street to the other german brands.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In Europe it's 330 HP which with the same measurement is in the USA 350 HP.
Certainly tax reasons in some countries. The +20 HP version in the USA could be rather a marketing decision because of comparisons with other cars often sold in the USA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts