Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a must for me. Do they work well, and do they change the comfort of the seats in any way compared to non-ventilated seats? Most comments claim that the standard seats are very comfortable (as they were when I test drove a base model). However, the C&D reviewer stated the seats were terrible, like having a plank down the center of the back and seat bottom, pushing upwards. Since his tester was a fully loaded SQ4 with the ventilated seats, I'm wondering if it's possible that the ventilation mechanism is somehow protruding and causing discomfort. Anyone have them or has sat on them in a showroom or tester? Need help on this. Thanks...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Vented Seats -- Comfortable and Cool

I've got vented seats on my SQ4 and I'm quite satisfied with their performance and comfort. They're a must have in Tampa. I think you'll find the Ghibli seats comfortable and good looking.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also have the ventilated seats and I'm very happy with them -- much better than the ones on my 2008 550i that this replaced. I'd strongly recommend them if the cost is not an issue.

On the Car and Driver comments, I read those too and all I can say is that seat comfort is very subjective. For me the Ghibli seats are, by far, the most comfortable that I've had for long drives. In my BMW I would get pretty bad cramps after just an hour, no matter how the seat was adjusted, and I have yet to get even a hint of a cramp with the Ghibli. I'm very, very happy with the seats overall.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I do not have the vented seats in NJ as even though it does get hot, (not like in Florida), my remote start with the AC on cools the car down fine before I get in.

But just a comment on the seats and cramps.

First, everyone who buys an Italian car MUST be made aware that the seat and pedal angles are NOT like in an American or German car. The pedals are a few degrees offset to the right. Therefore you must get used to your leg angle in the Maserati. This lead to initial calf fatigue in the first month or so of getting the car. Once your leg muscles get used to the angle, there is no problem. I just came back from Florida and rented a car and you notice the difference right away when you adjust the Pedal distance and seat height.

Second, I had back surgery in 2008 and I need good lumbar support when driving, the Ghibli seats are great for my back and on long trips I have had no issues regarding back pain, discomfort or fatigue. Just remember your body is also a little angled in the seat due to the pedal alignment.

Just some of my observations,;)
Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
My guess is the C&D reviewer simply didn't spend enough time to adjust the seat properly; the adjustment range is considerable and once dialled in the seats are great.

When set in some odd setting, it is totally possible to have a lump in the wrong place.....unless the car the tester drove had less controls than the seats I have in my car.

No one has ever said the seats are anything less than awesome. And that's a bunch of BMW, Benz and VW fans (plus a few MINI fans, which admittedly have some of the worst seats you can imagine unless you go with the new generation 2014 or a GP or a JCW!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just received my 2nd Ghibli as my first one was run into by a drunken driver.
In my first one, I did not have the ventilated seats but now I have them.

I do agree with the Car & Driver report because the ventilated seats are less comfortable than the ones without. I have been trying to adjust the seats in many ways but they still feel very stiff in the upper part of my back.

I guess this is linked to the ventilation system which must take additional space in the seat. So... if you are living in a hot area, it is worth considering but if not. The standard seats are more comfortable.

Apart from this, this is a great car !

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have just received my 2nd Ghibli as my first one was run into by a drunken driver.
In my first one, I did not have the ventilated seats but now I have them.

I do agree with the Car & Driver report because the ventilated seats are less comfortable than the ones without. I have been trying to adjust the seats in many ways but they still feel very stiff in the upper part of my back.

I guess this is linked to the ventilation system which must take additional space in the seat. So... if you are living in a hot area, it is worth considering but if not. The standard seats are more comfortable.

Apart from this, this is a great car !
And that is exactly what I suspected, that the ventilated seats are more rigid or protrude a bit to accommodate the ventilation system. Now the question is whether I will feel comfortable or not. Some here that have the ventilated seats clearly are ok with them, but these seats clearly are different and have a characteristic that some find uncomfortable. Very stiff is not very comforting. This car has proven to be a very difficult one to make a decision about. Every time I get close, another issue pops up that stops me. I'm starting to lean back to an Audi S7.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Why not just find a demo car and try them? If you're in NYC/LI there should be plenty of dealers to try. But try to sit in them for at least 1/2 hour, because that is when you'll start to see that they're head and shoulders above most other seats (e.g. the BMW 550i that I replaced with the Ghibli).

That said, if you're on the fence about the car, you're probably better off with the Audi. This is a car that you want to be passionate about, because you'll put up with some inconveniences that are minor if you really like the car, but which will annoy you if you don't.

I think this post summed it up really well:

http://www.ghibliforum.com/forum/ma.../3225-why-i-didnt-buy-ghibli-9.html#post59250

·
Registered
695 Posts
The better equipped A7 will be cheaper and the Audi vented seats are comfortable. Either you want the Maser or not. It is not a better car than any Audi! But it is a very different auto experience. No Italian car will ever be made better than a German car. Germans are logical, Italians are not.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ha! You guys make good points. That's what I'm wrestling with. Practicality/features vs passion/fun to drive.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Exclusivity and WOW factor are greater with Maser than Audi in my opinion.
I find my Ghibli to be a practical daily driver. Hope this helps jeffkad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have them and love them! To me, the seats in my Ghibli are not as comfortable as the ventilated comfort seats were in my 750, but that's just me. What I miss most about the 750 seats were the portion that extended out under my thighs and the massage function on long trips. The cooling seems about the same in both cars.

Living in FL and preferring black cars, I had to have them.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I have them and it's great and the seats are fine!

Nice feature to have?

Me too,

Seats comfortable from day one, when I drove car back to LI from WWF; have not needed the ventilation yet though - I only got my 2015 in October

1 - 20 of 27 Posts