Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning to get my car in vinyl! There are some cool new colors from 3M like brushed titanium black, satin pearl white, matte blaze orange, matte dark grey, etc.. pictured below.

anyone else planning to give their car a new skin or have already done so? Any suggestions?

I'm also planning to get the rear diffuser and side mirrors done in carbon fiber wrap

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Wow! That is kind of cool! I like the maserati in titanium. What is the cost of something like that and do you need to order a white car in order to achieve the best color?

·
Registered
325 Posts
It's getting more popular in the UK now, great way to hide bad / old paint or protect your existing configuration... I saw a C63 the other day 'wrapped' in like a satin black, looked amazing. Approx cost is £2500-3000

·
Registered
480 Posts
It is an interesting procedure. Based on your estimate of cost, that's between $4,200-$5,000 US dollars.
I never had a car fully painted so I wonder what the cost difference is in the US to have a car wrapped v. a full top to bottom re-spray.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Where are the pictures... ??

My bad... too tiny to notice at first... :)

·
Administrator
2,522 Posts
Wrapping looks pretty wild. I like the color options and uniqueness.
Wonder if it provides any additional protection to the paint ... think of all the money spent of chip protection and sealants. Start with one wrap and switch to original paint or start with original paint and switch to laminate to hide the wear and tear?

Reactions: Spsesq

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Lovin' it!

Wrapping looks pretty wild. I like the color options and uniqueness.
Wonder if it provides any additional protection to the paint ... think of all the money spent of chip protection and sealants. Start with one wrap and switch to original paint or start with original paint and switch to laminate to hide the wear and tear?

Agreed - looks on the surface
to be great idea; are there any down sides?

Anyone know who in the States also has the capability?

DD

·
Registered
34 Posts
From the research I have done personally vinyl wrapping is both good and bad... Good because it protects the cars paint, but bad because it is horrible to get off and many have reported that the original paint is never the same after a couple years.

An interesting alternative is to "Dip your Car" This is achieved by using a product called plastidip... It is simply a plastic spray on that is solid for a year plus... The cost is roughly 700-900usd... That is if it is done professionally. Google it... It is pretty amazing. Easy to take off and at less than 25% of a wrap job there is flexibility there!

Reactions: rocket

·
Registered
100 Posts
When you wrap a car, do they do the doors, trunk, and hood jams also? How long does the wraps last for?

·
Registered
159 Posts
When you wrap a car, do they do the doors, trunk, and hood jams also? How long does the wraps last for?
The really good ones will take off decals, handles and light clusters to blend the wrap in. All depends on who you get to do it. Obviously those versions take a lot more time and money - it's also a much bigger job to remove. I think mileage varies on how long the wraps last for depending on the quality.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Out here in Hawaii we have a shop that does wraps. It costs around 3k USD and goes up depending on the wrap and car type. I have seen a few cars and the results vary. I have also seen the plastidip option. Both are not bad but mainly focus on a satin or matte look. It is a nice option if you need new paint and don't want to spend the money or if you just want to experiment with a new look. One thing I have noticed is people who want to change their car up but leased it are now going down this path because it allows them to return it to stock relatively easily.

In regards to paint protection, both seemed to add some protection over just the base clearcoat.

If my friend ends up doing the matte black wrap on his F430 I'll try to take some pics and post it.

For the plastidip just youtube it or check out www.dipyourcar.com they do some amazing stuff on there.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Did my own wrap on a e92 m3 with 3m matte blue metallic. Cost of wrap via ebay is about 600 bucks, probably more for a a ghibli sedan. You'll need a heat gun, xacto knifes, squeegees, few friends and alot of patience. You'll save alot of money but its time consuming

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im planning to get my car in vinyl! There are some cool new colors from 3M like brushed titanium black, satin pearl white, matte blaze orange, matte dark grey, etc.. pictured below.

anyone else planning to give their car a new skin or have already done so? Any suggestions?

I'm also planning to get the rear diffuser and side mirrors done in carbon fiber wrap
You might want to visit Gatorwraps | Vehicle & Car Wraps | Signs & Banners tho, you can request for a quote plus they have a lot of vinyl wraps with lots of colors to choose from. Professionals there will be able to address all your concerns plus you can request for a quote. They have branches and installers located in just about every large city.

·
Registered
113 Posts
anyone have any experience on just wrapping or dipping the black molding on the side panels / trunk?
one better than the other?
one last longer?
live in Pgh, and this is daily driver, even in winter, so elements a factor (salt, cold, etc)
thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re-wrapped my 2014 Ghibli SQ4 in a color changing wrap. it's called roaring thunder & it gets ALOT of attention. I also had the front covered in a clear bug shield & a ceramic coating covering the entire wrap due to the sun damage that will occur (I live in Western AZ.) It set me back $5,100.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,522 Posts
That is an investment and pretty wild that it changes colors like that. They did a nice job on the wrap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is an investment and pretty wild that it changes colors like that. They did a nice job on the wrap.
Thanks. When I bought it in march of this year, It had the wrap on it.. but in a satin finish. Also, the roof & hood was burnt up. After taking it in to the dealership have the oil changed, I decided to re-do the wrap after seeing it next to the new Ghibli's there... It looked ghetto.. lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts