Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

Warranty Coverage Incomplete - 14-15 MY - May 2019 Communication

9K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  BeerGuy 
#1 ·
Dated May 21, 2019, I received a letter from Maserati North America indicating my warranty coverage was incomplete, adding an addendum to the original warranty and indicated a review of service completed showed no service that falls within the new updates.

I sent a request for clarification, as it appears this is for MY14 and MY15 and specifically calls out California Emissions and 11 other states for applicability.

I'm an early original MY14 owner. What caught my attention was it extended the warranty to 7 years or 70,000 miles; which ever comes first, for the following parts if installed as original and all service was properly done to owner manual specifications, (plus a standard list of exclusions from abuse, modifications and etc ...).

• Engine Control Module (ECM)
  • Transmission Control Module (TCM)
  • Brake System Module (BSM)
  • Transmission
  • Crankshaft
  • Intake and Exhaust Camshaft
  • Intercooler
  • Intake Manifold
  • Low Pressure Fuel Pump
  • High Pressure Fuel Pump
  • Fuel Rail and Fuel Injectors
  • Underfloor Fuel Pipe
  • Fuel Tank
  • Turbocharger and Exhaust Manifold
  • tic Converter

It also references several parts that are 8 years or 80,000 miles whichever comes first that are covered under US Federal Emission Warranty

• Catalytic Converter
  • ECM
  • OBDII connector

I suspect some of you will also get the letters too. Not sure the criteria being used other than 14-15 MY models which are and/or soon will be out of original factory warranty, while MY16+ are still under factory warranty and likely have upgrades over this generation's early Ghibli's.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Beerguy, I also received this letter today. It was a nice and an unexpected surprise! :)
...though I've been fortunate and had no real mechanical issues in my 4 + years of owning a MY14.

This gives me added reassurance that Maserati is standing behind their Ghibli product.
I only put around 6K miles on mine annually, which fits fine with my ownership plans.

#5 ·
That's what it would appear, (and my service manager also interprets same), for the selected items in 3, 7 and 8 year categories.

What's confusing is the warranty emissions note starts out with the ... applies only to vehicles certified for sale and registered in the state of California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, new Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.

They do reference contact your local Maserati service or Maserati Customer Care (1-877-696-2737) or email mymaserati@maserati.com. Most of this is for service that could have be been out of pocket that is now potentially covered under the updated warranty.

I drive mine for pleasure or to the office which is very close to my home ... so only 13K miles on odometer and have been very fortunate with reliability only requiring routine maintenance and boatload of Maserati campaigns to correct early model year defects.

#6 ·
Best to contact your local Maserati service or Maserati Customer Care (1-877-696-2737) or email mymaserati@maserati.com

#7 ·
This is interesting. My car is at the dealer now for some work, and when I'll get it back I'll ask them if this applies for Europe too.
Would be a shame if this is only for MY14 and MY15, as my MY16's warranty ends in a couple of months and I'd love to have the warranty extended for free another two years, without paying 4k Euro to buy the extension.

#8 ·
It's not as comprehensive as the extended service contract, but they must have some rationale for this plan of action and the "select" parts chosen along with the US states referenced in the letter. I'm guessing but is this some sort of mechanism to minimize the flooding of these cars on to market or some type of agreement/settlement to address the potential failure rates of the referenced parts. The letter speaks to emissions, but those parts are not all directly related to emissions.

I guess we'll stay tuned to hear more as it becomes communicated. There are folks getting reimbursed for out of pocket repairs that are now covered under this warranty update.

#13 · (Edited)
wolfgang I've spoken with my dealer and indeed this doesn't apply to Europe. They also said Maserati US is a separate entity, and they have their own rules.

I agree, it's unfair as I just paid the same for another two years of extended warranty. :(
Anyway, as far as I understand this is what we get in Europe as the year 6 & 7 limited warranty covering only the engine and the transmission components.

#14 ·
I too paid for the extended warranty for 6/100 when it was first available in US ($3500 + tax) and have repaid myself about 2/3 on work not covered by the updated mechanical warranty. I do think this is similar to what you reference in Europe as 6 and 7 year. What's also more confusing in US, is this is not applicable in all states and only for MY14 and MY15 cars. I live in a state that the updated warranty applies. If I didn't, I would try drive over the border to another state that offered the coverage, (if possible). Some states in US are not permitted to offer a Maserati extended warranty. I'm not sure if still the case but saw some areas in Europe could get a 7 year extended warranty direct from Maserati? When I first inquired in US, (2014), you could not get any extended warranty in US .. so they shared info on Europe as what might be the case ... which it wasn't.

#16 ·
MASERATI told me in the last email too, that I have NO warranty if I import a car from the US.
But what about the Maserati service - stations ?
In Austria, we have only 2 and nobody else (Alfa Romeo and so on) can do anything for you because MASERATI is blocked for them on the computer. If I change the oil by Alfa Romeo or Jeep I have to go to Maserati later to reset the oil - light. And I have to go every time to Maserati for finding a fault (yellow or red lamps on the dashboard).
There is nearly no service and "helply hand" for such an expensive and exclusive car !!
That is perhaps a reason to lose the "love" for such a car . . . .

Wolfgang

#18 ·
I reached out to Maserati and here is their response:

"All Maserati vehicles are equipped with a 4 year/50,000 mile factory warranty. There are other warranties on your vehicle such as Emission’s Warranties which may cover certain parts for longer depending on your state’s guidelines. You can review this information in your vehicle’s warranty booklet located on: https://ownerdocumentation.maserati.com/"

Peter

#19 ·
Yes, if you search on CALIFORNIA EMISSION WARRANTY you can see the document I referenced which was listed as an update ... "Our Warranty Rights and Obligations (Applies Only to Vehicles Certified for Sale and Registered in the State of California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington)"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.