Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All-in-all Maserati probably spent over $16 million on advertising the week of the Super Bowl. This includes $11 million for the spot, plus production, and digital and search advertising. Take a look at the spot again here.

Nine seconds of this 90-second spot shows a car visual or sound, and only the last 3 seconds of the commercial reveal what the brand being advertised is. Is this a wise way to spend money for a brand that is hoping to sell to a relatively small amount of customers?Is making people aware of a brand that they are unlikely to ever buy really worth all that money? I mean more people know the Ferrari brand, but Mitsubishi still sells more cars.

Antony Young wrote:
Paying for the most expensive spot with the highest production values, in the most competitive automotive media event, doesn't strike me as what a challenger brand -- which it claims to be in the ad -- should do. Kudos for Maserati's boldness, but its money could have been spent a lot more imaginatively and responsibly.
Ultimately it comes down to whether Maserati will see a return in sales from the amount of money it invested into its first ever Super Bowl ad. While I'm sure that there are a number of people who will actually follow through and buy a Maserati Ghibli all because their attention was grabbed by the Ghibli Super Bowl ad, most of what Maserati achieved was convincing people that a car they can't afford is nice.

I wonder where else Maserati could have spent those hard earned dollars (and by hard earned I mean taken from Chrysler's coffers now that they are part of the same happy family.)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Usually these SB ads are based on sheer viewership however, I wonder if they ever looked at the demographics of the viewing audience...........I would suspect as noted by Salizar that most of the audience would not be able to afford the car..............in advertising money is not only in the creative but in commissions from the ad placements.............and the tangible results especially in SB ads I would suspect is fuzzy.............I would Maserati would have put a lot of thought and and gotten Fiat/Chrysler exec's views before sinking $16M on an ad...........

·
Registered
112 Posts
I like to call it little boy syndrome. Remember when you were 10 and you hung a picture of XYZ Car on your bedroom wall? Being 10, owning the picture of the car equaled actually owning the car.

This is a microcosm of modern society, replacement of the object with an image of the object. That is Maseratis goal here. To create an image based goal/dream that replaces the actual object. Its an attempt to shoe horn into where Mercedes operates now and Cadillac/Lincoln used to, I have made it...

Impressions never equal conversions...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Impressions never equal conversions...

Exactly.

But as much as the commercial confused most people it did accomplish one very critical goal: Brand Awareness. The first 90% of the commercial was genius at building up curiosity, getting viewers' total focus. Then wham! a few seconds of some badass car (more curiosity), then WHAM! the Maserati/Ghibli brand/logo. Lots of psychology. Probably $16M well spent... but I question the premise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Many are saying that the Ghibli ad was the "winner" of the superbowl advertising sweepstakes. Most bang for the $$. I would think that many of the ads are now expected. I don't think Budweiser sells more beer because of Clydesdales or that Coke sells more soda because of the polar bears. It increases brand awareness - Maserati as the top of the Fiat/Chrysler brand lineup for sedans, certainly received a huge boost in consumer interest.

·
Registered
852 Posts
We were out to dinner with friends over the weekend and when I mentioned I had ordered a Maserati, the wife immediately mentioned the SB commercial and the car........so it had some effect........

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd rather they spend that money on developing higher quality shifter than the chintzy, light, cheap feeling Chrysler Econ-car one they have on their now, personally.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I always thought the commercials were to keep the women interested in watching while the guys take a pee break from all the beer?

Nonetheless, 100 Million people watch the Superbowl. Even if 1% actually paid attention to the ad (1 Million people) and 1% of that led to sales (10,000 units) and let's say those people are buying $75,000 models (that's $750Mil in sales). I'm not saying the ad even generated that much, but I have no doubt they made their $16Mil back and then some...

·
Registered
852 Posts
good point and the reason for the price commanded for the ads you are accessing som many people even a small hit is worth it........and IMO the Ghibli is not a cheap econo car because they used some Chrysler parts, it is a real Maserati (styling, drive mechanical, suspension, motor, drive train)...........but I am drinking the Koolaide and loving every sip!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think the real value of the ad is the "buzz". Whether critics liked it or not, it got talked about. I think there are a lot of people that watch the ads on the internet as a result of the buzz. The ad is also featured on Maser's site, as well as many dealerships' sites.

Maserati has never used TV for ads before. I think it's pretty cool that their foray into TV advertising was during the Super Bowl. It sends the message, "Go big or go home".

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was always taught in marketing classes that one off adverts are a waste of money, so either they should run this a lot more times which is unlikely or the money would have been better spent on a long term run of adverts in the motoring/prestige press.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would agree that in the past marketing classes would have taught against the use of one off ads, however, I think that the way people view media content has significantly changed with the availability of venues like youtube, hulu, etc. My son never watches TV, he watches movies and show from the internet. I didn't see the Ghibli ad when it aired (I wasn't watching the super bowl), however, I've seen it several times from searching the internet and reading reviews of super bowl commercials. Basically, I don't think the concept of "one off" exists anymore.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Exposure is good

Maserati isn't a household name so getting more exposure to a new model that could cater to a larger audience is not a bad idea. Most people don't know of the ghibli yet.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well we have to be realistic that this car is not for the masses but for those who have some serious disposible income and based on the productions numbers and the target competition is just that.............so is a big ad for the masses the best money spent........read this article and you might change your mind.......I have a car ordered and love Maserati....and am excited to be able to be able to get one...but demographics here are very specific and the ad money should be spend accordingly......read this article with describes how the money could have benn spend and see what you think.

Maserati's Super Bowl Ad: Big Money Well Spent? | DigitalNext: A Blog on Emerging Media and Technology - Advertising Age

·
Registered
87 Posts
The article makes some very good points about other ad opportunites, however, if Maserati utilized any other one of those suggested, would this guy have written an entire article discussing the ad strategy that includes the ad itself? I don't think so.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Again We are all guessing about the strategy behind this ad which none of us has access to. You make a good point just thought it was interesting about what else they could have done with the money. However for creating buzz and press they got every penny worth.....plus the "What was that" factor .......I would also guess that those who could afford the car were watching and may now consider it if they have not already.........

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would say with all these ads, there are some side effects that are coming along. With Superbowl ads and online ads saying the car is 65k, I've seen many comments saying "oh! Maserati 65k! I'm getting one tomorrow" type of comments. This already tells that they've never bought a high end car. There is no high end car you can buy at MSRP. There is always additional cost you need to consider (destination & handling, options, tax, maintenance, etc), which easily adds up 15~25k. Of course you can buy a display car with huge discount in a year.
I had this random guy on the street asking me how much I paid for the car, and that he is thinking to buy one. But questions he asked was so basic that it was obvious he never spent time searching for the car nor went to Maserati's site to build one. The number of people building castles in the air will increase over time thinking it's a 65k car, which I think will affect the Ghibli's brand image.
Maserati's 65k marketing is definitely making people think they can afford one, when the reality is not so.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have to agree they are also marketing 799 and 899 a month leases which is also castles in the sky because it is based on MSRP and delivery with no options, 10k miles a year, $5K down so cash at close is more as you have to add security dep, first month, docs and tax. But on the other hand that is standard practice for all these car companies to draw you in and then hook you......a lot of people will buy more car than they can afford......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts