Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. First post here and after a couple weeks of research and reading, I went for a test drive this weekend. I walked in hoping I wasn't going to like it, to keep the decision much easier... hmmm

First off.. couldn't get the smile off my face the whole test drive. No, it's not faster than my 2013 Audi S4, but the handling, and the "RAWR" of the engine/exhaust are def intoxicating. I think it's just about the most perfect sound combination of refined and evil.

I've read some mixed reviews on the fact that it's a turbo engine. Well I've got to be honest, I like a little lag on my turbo cars (assuming it's not input lag as some are saying) .. It's what gives them personality while also making it require a little more thought when driving. Not just a perfectly simple pedal and go experience. Reminded me a little, but not nearly as much, of my pop's old late 80's 911 RUF. It had a 4 speed manual... and the turbos made you work for the boost... and when it did..... BOOM!! you are snapped back into the head rest.

LIKED: The seats, armrests, leather, steering wheel, gauges and mini info screen, and honestly the fact the entertainment sys is from Chrysler doesn't bother me. Most platforms are shared, and as long as the functions work, which they seem to, I'm happy.

DISLIKED: Avg-resolution touch screen, sound system (had premium), lack of HD radio, buttons are a bit cheesy, as is the oddly large black plastic around the touch screen.

The Car I drove had 19's and sport suspension. I was actually shocked how firm, but smooth it was, especially over bumps. I would have thought skyhook would be a necessity in NJ, but now I'm not sure. Want to drive a 20's with sport and skyhook next.

Dealer let me listen to the B&W system in the new Quattroporte. Leaps and bounds above the "premium system," and would be my choice over putting in a aftermarket. It wasn't perfect, but it was very satisfying. Yes, I appreciate my music quality. (naim and lynn at home)

So now I do feel, and from reading, that the car might have been released a little early...? Maybe a little more QC and refinement.

Does anybody know any changes, improvement for the 2015 year that have been uncovered?

Thanks,

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hello all. First post here and after a couple weeks of research and reading, I went for a test drive this weekend. I walked in hoping I wasn't going to like it, to keep the decision much easier... hmmm

First off.. couldn't get the smile off my face the whole test drive. No, it's not faster than my 2013 Audi S4, but the handling, and the "RAWR" of the engine/exhaust are def intoxicating. I think it's just about the most perfect sound combination of refined and evil.

I've read some mixed reviews on the fact that it's a turbo engine. Well I've got to be honest, I like a little lag on my turbo cars (assuming it's not input lag as some are saying) .. It's what gives them personality while also making it require a little more thought when driving. Not just a perfectly simple pedal and go experience. Reminded me a little, but not nearly as much, of my pop's old late 80's 911 RUF. It had a 4 speed manual... and the turbos made you work for the boost... and when it did..... BOOM!! you are snapped back into the head rest.

LIKED: The seats, armrests, leather, steering wheel, gauges and mini info screen, and honestly the fact the entertainment sys is from Chrysler doesn't bother me. Most platforms are shared, and as long as the functions work, which they seem to, I'm happy.

DISLIKED: Avg-resolution touch screen, sound system (had premium), lack of HD radio, buttons are a bit cheesy, as is the oddly large black plastic around the touch screen.

The Car I drove had 19's and sport suspension. I was actually shocked how firm, but smooth it was, especially over bumps. I would have thought skyhook would be a necessity in NJ, but now I'm not sure. Want to drive a 20's with sport and skyhook next.

Dealer let me listen to the B&W system in the new Quattroporte. Leaps and bounds above the "premium system," and would be my choice over putting in a aftermarket. It wasn't perfect, but it was very satisfying. Yes, I appreciate my music quality. (naim and lynn at home)

So now I do feel, and from reading, that the car might have been released a little early...? Maybe a little more QC and refinement.

Does anybody know any changes, improvement for the 2015 year that have been uncovered?

Thanks,
Congrats…hopefully you will join the club! Subjective on sport suspension vs. skyhook. I opted for sports with 20" wheels and it is firm for sure, but not punishing…I live in the Chicago area where the roads are pretty bad.

As for your 2013 S4 (assuming no mods) the Ghibli SQ4 is without a doubt faster, difference being a smaller car always "feels" faster, but according to clocked times the Ghibli SQ4 is definitely faster.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
There is something about the Maserarti Ghibli SQ4 that got me hooked. The combination of looks, exclusivity, handling and power had me sold.

This was the first time I ever bought a first year model ... I always waited for the mid-cycle when all the bugs were worked out and before the car style was outdated (when a pending new model would approach).

That said some logic went right out the window (actually bank account) and I bought the car on emotion. Mine was made in December 2013 and so far I have none of the "bugs" mentioned in this forum (yet) ... maybe they were resolved by Maserati since Ghibli production started up on a new line in late July/August 2013 or Maserati of Bergen County addressed prior to my pick-up, (they seemed well versed on what to look for since I brought a check-list to review based on forum comments).

I selected the 20" Urano's with sport suspension ... personal choice for firm ride with excellent handling.

Have fun and test drive to make sure your getting exactly what you want!!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Welcome and congrats........based on user reviews sports suspension appears to provide a smooth ride over rough surface due to the koni's. All the dislikes will melt away as you drive in sports manual mode!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anderson and Beerguy.. I've been reading a lot of ppl are happy with the 20's and sport. Thanks for the reassurance. I'm going to drive that setup and hopefully a skyhook setup soon. We have a lot of bumps and holes on our NJ roads.

Anderson, the 2013 actually is the same, stock... especially with their launch control, easy 0-60 times 4.6-4.9. When looking at reviews, look up actual times, not the "listed."
But either way, I think that's fast enough for this world.. I'm not a speed freak, just like my power. ;)

Thanks Etodd. Good to hear from another NJ guy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've owned mine -- Q4, Sport, Premium, 19's -- for three weeks. Aside from the interior quality complaints, which I share, my biggest issue is the hesitation when starting out, particularly when the road and tires are cold or wet. The dealer claims this is the all-wheel drive system confusion when the tires are cold. I find it quite annoying, as I never had similar problems with BMWs or Audis or rental Jeeps. I just joined this forum (my first forum ever), so any advice or comment would be welcome.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Thanks,

Hi CaptCaven, im sure you test drove the Ghibli base model which runs at 330hp, which is almost identical to the Audi S4's output.,.. what you really want to get is not the Ghibli base... what you should get is the Ghibli SQ4 which runs at 410hp! its a beast.. i believe most of us on this forum would choose the SQ4 over the base... it wins out on every level of performance and if you're getting a maserati anyway, you go for performance

IMO it doesnt make any sense to get the Ghibli base over the Ghibli SQ4! (unless you're basing your decision solely on price).. but i say if you can afford a maserati, why not spend 10+k more to get the Ghibli SQ4 instead of the base model! you should go test drive the Ghibli SQ4 .. you will be impressed to say the least!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IMO it doesnt make any sense to get the Ghibli base over the Ghibli SQ4! (unless you're basing your decision solely on price).. but i say if you can afford a maserati, why not spend 10+k more to get the Ghibli SQ4 instead of the base model! you should go test drive the Ghibli SQ4 .. you will be impressed to say the least!
Appreciate all the feedback so far. Thanks. But yes it was an S Q4. ;) I guess ppl here aren't familiar with the new Audi S4's. I put the specs below to compare.

Taken from multiple sites...and my own experience.

2013 Audi S4 Sedan:
0-60 mph: 4.7 seconds
1/4 mile: 13.2 seconds @ 106 mph

2014 Maserati S Q4
0-60 mph: 4.6 seconds
1/4 mile: 13.2 seconds @ 105.2 mph

But anyway.. the main point of why I wrote was to introduce myself, and learn from others what they thought.. and if anybody knew of anything coming in the 2015 model that might be diff. I'm close to pulling the trigger... but if 6 months of waiting brings some nice improvement.. I think I can F I G H T the urge. Otherwise I will be sitting in this thing shortly.

Thanks.

·
Registered
852 Posts
not a lot of info yet on the 15 but they are sure to have some improvements..........Idnk if i could wait 6 months but good luck to you......BTW where in NJ r u? i am in central NJ.......if you get ur car there is a very cool event in the poconos in June.......car show and driving event let me know if ur interested....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hello all. I just joined this forum and I too am from central Jersey (Monmouth County). I am going to order the Ghibli SQ 4 in two weeks. I just test drove the Mercedes CLK. Hit the sport button and nothing. When I test drove the SQ4 and did the same button hit....I could feel the difference right away.

I decided to order the SQ4 with the premium package and sport package. I don't need all the other bells and whistles. I want to drive the car, not sit in it and let the car drive itself like a Mercedes. I also spoke to a car stereo dealer who is a client. He suggested to get the premium sound system and upgrade the speakers. It will sound a lot better and for the difference in price for excellent speakers your better off. If anybody did a similar upgrade please let me know.

Surprisingly, my wife felt the SQ4 was a more comfortable ride than the CLK sitting in the back seat.

I haven't yet decided which dealer to buy from yet so any pointers would be helpful. Also if anyone knows of any end of the month deals And how they work, please advise. I would like to go into the dealer educated

·
Registered
852 Posts
Another Central NJ guy!! We should talk and plan a get together as it appears our ranks are growing!!! I started with Maserati of Central NJ who were non responsive so I started talking to Maaserati of Manhattan.......I work in the city so how hard is it to drive my Maserati to work for two or three services???? Duh not hard at all........The sales team is excellent..............Please talk to Tom Tomey who was my salesmen.............Delivery was awesome.........my son and I sat in the car just playing around while Tom kept running back and forth with questions while he finalized the paperwork...........Pete Lehman the business manager fought with Ally to get me their best rate with usually requires a previous purchase or get this $12K down!! I have a good credit score so that helped but they finalized the paperwork even though they did not have confirmation of the lower rate!! if you are interested please PM me I and will tee it up for you.........anyway Good Luck with your purchase wherever you go and keep us up to date on the whole process!! BTW make sure you are up to speed on current discounts as I do not think they are difficult to get (just ask and mention competition as there are four dealers we can go to!) as I believe I left some money on the table.......see the threads on this topic........good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I test drove my car at Maserati of Bergen county. Spsesq... if that's one of the ones you were thinking of doing, we can go in as a package deal. I'll know after this weekend if I'm ordering the car or not.

Etodd, I'm in bergen county. If I do this, I'd be up for that event you spoke of.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Nice event is called L'belle Machine D'Europe - exotic car show and non- competitive driving event go to:

Le Belle Macchine d'Italia

I already have my car but thanks! Good Luck with Bergan Maserati!! The man running the car show is Italiancars PM him and he can answer any questions you have after you read the website. BTW you need a tech form completed if you want to drive the track which I got the Service Manager to do at delivery.

Let's keep in touch so we can meet at the event. If we get others maybe we can arrange a separate meet during the event.

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
I bought my Ghibli from Maserati of Bergen County. They are part of the experience group (Manhattan, Long Island, Fort Lauderdale and Bergen County).
Rich Marcus was my sales executive. He was very responsive and willing to work with me on pricing and financing, (I financed 100% through ALLY). In fact, I'm still working with him on a few details. I got a fair "net" deal ... probably in the top 10% of this polls.
I can't speak for the service group there and it is a new dealership since November 2013.
I'd also recommend you do your homework on what you want for dealer added extras when you sit down to close the deal ... some are only available that day! There is about $15-20K of options they will make available to you.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Jersey Guys We gotta Stick together!

Hi guys,
I would be more than happy to pool our buying power. I have been dealing with both Central Jersey and Wide World Maserati. I want to order soon so I want to have them both bid against each other. If anyone wants to go in and order as a group to save additional dollars I am all for that. I have the 2104 Ghibli Ordering Guide so I know what I want. I'll check with the guy I am working with at World wide to see what package deals he can put together if a number of us all place orders. You are welcome to PM me to get this ball rolling.
Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts