Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2018 SQ4 gransport. I have an issue that seems to be getting louder/more apparent with every day that passes.
I had told the dealer about it and they told me they didn’t find anything wrong… which I don’t buy.
The noise is only audible immediately after pulling away from a complete stop. I’m not positive, but to me it seems to be most likely related to a transmission or transfer case/limited slip diff issue. Sound only lasts a few seconds and starts at about 1k rpm and goes away by 2k rpm. Only occurs in drive, not in park or neutral and cannot be replicated without physically pulling off from a stop. Seems to be its worst/loudest when turning hard left while pulling away.

I uploaded a video of it to YouTube for you guys to take a listen to:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry no ideas, but, that doesn't sound right at all. You say the dealer said they found nothing...did they hear the noise at least ? If they did & they can't (or don't want to) find it then I'd be looking at a 2nd & 3rd opinion if needed. That noise should not be there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sounds like it could be outer CV axle/half shaft. They are a known issue in earlier models so it’s possible they didn’t fix it in newer models.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue with my car. It is likely a creaking drive shaft carrier bearing. It’s a known issue. It took some time for me to narrow down where the sound was coming from until I had one of my kids jump in the back seat to help id the location. It came from the back, just under the center console. I took it to the dealer and the Maserati Tech identified it within seconds. Maserati NA required a recording to confirm and it was covered under warranty. Replaced and zero noise/issues since then. Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts