Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having driven in 18 countries (and counting), I can say that drivers here in the US are "middle of the pack" when it comes to road etiquette and general adherence to the rules. The most aggressive countries/areas were undoubtedly in North Africa, Brazil (urban cities only), and (surprisingly) central Italy. The absolute slowest were in Western Canada (Vancouver, where I gave up driving due to lethargy and arrived faster by walking)(lol). If it matters, the most beautiful countries for drivers (aesthetic wise) are Switzerland and Chile.

---

Generally, I'm a relaxed driver. Never angry, never middlefingering anyone, etc. It's just not worth it.

"The weak man rages at small injustices, but remains completely silent in the face of large ones."
~ HarvardLlama

But obviously, there are times when I shake my head in disapproval. Here are 3 examples.

1) when I'm waiting to turn right, driver approaching from left planning to turn right (onto my road) but DOES NOT SIGNAL.
2) when light turns green and people wait forever to go. get off your phone. everyone can start moving TOGETHER.
3) when people slow down to merge. do you have a jacket? try the zipper. it works just as efficiently at ANY speed.

sort of a rant-ish post (I know), but maybe I'm expecting too much from the plebeian (non race car driving) public.

Happy 2019.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Funny thread to start. I wouldn't comment re: what type of driver I am myself (I wouldn't claim to be a good judge of that). My own 3 biggest are:

1/ On multiple-lane highways: the one who sticks to the fast lane and keeps driving slowly, takes a h..l of a time to overtake an even slower vehicle, and yet again a h..l of another time to move back into the slower lane (or actually never does…).

2/ The one who does not signal before moving to another lane (notably into the fast lane while still driving slow)

These two guys (or ladies) above give the impression the never take a look into their mirrors. The 1st one is no danger, just a p..n in the a.. The second one is indeed a danger.

3/ The guy who sticks less than a meter or so behind me, while we're on the fast lane (or any lane actually), while I'm waiting for the guy #1 above to move back to his/her lane. for instance. I try and make sure to always leave some security distance with the car in front of me and, if I'm slow in my lane, it's either because a/ there's no slower lane to my right (I'm driving in France, right-side driving) and there's traffic before me, or b/ I'm in situation 1/ above. No point to sticking to me from behind without any sense of security distance, except as an attempt to p.. me off, in such situations. Funnily enough, so to say, it's the usual behaviour of smaller cars with probably a lot less inboard & body security than our pretty large and secure sedans, and who would have a lot more to loose than me were I to hit hardest on the brakes and they hit me from behind. Also, oftentimes, security distance suddenly increases very rapidly when the lane in front of me frees up and I hit accelerator :D (I know this is just acting as a kid, but feels sooo goood sometimes).

I don't know whether any of the above makes sense, just my two cents.

Cheers.

Reactions: BeerGuy

·
Registered
436 Posts
Agree with you ALB, I too drive in France, Nutcases' places 83, 06, 13, 84..... LOL

Great feeling to leave a sucker standing while you pull away. Driving Maserati's, we're all kids at heart who have materialized a dream.

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
1)people driving in the left lane. Left lane is for passing, i don't care that you're doing 5 mom over the speed limit. I want to do 50mph over the speed limit (kidding.. for the most part regarding speed)
2) people who have to press and lift foot to maintain a speed. just keep your foot down and stop pushing and then letting off (NYC cab drivers are pros at making me nauseous.
3) in NYC people will literally beep the second the light turns green.. best part is they are 6 cars back. once again cabs are notorious for doing this and it drives me insane!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts