1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Maserati Ghibli review

Pretty damning review.

Due to take delivery of mine next week!

Was very excited until I read this. My test drive was great, so I'll make my own judgement in due course. I guess I can always trade it in for a German car if I don't like it!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I too am due to take delivery in the near future & enjoyed several test drives.
I think any car attracts both positive & negative feed back.
So... take delivery & I look forward to you letting us know your findings.
I'm sure they will be positive.

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
I can't speak to the diesel cars in UK, but I can say the S-Q4 petrol version in the US performs superbly on the road and is comfortable. I have 20" wheels and potholes and bumps it does not like.

The only element I can agree somewhat is on the downshifts in lower rpms ... they can appear abrupt at times, but that is somewhat how I would expect based on the gear ratio of the 8 speed transmission in this car.

Looking at the pictures or articles, not a lot of comments on how the car tested was equipped. It looks to be a base model, and some of the upgrades to sport or skyhook suspension make a big difference in ride comfort and handling depending on how you plan to drive.

No car will ever please everyone ... it just needs to be YOU. I'm very satisfied with my Ghibli to date for performance, ride/handling, looks, exhaust sound, and being somewhat exclusive compared to all the rest of the cars on the road.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I wonder what else is different for the UK cars. Also they have this executive class of of leased company cars that doesn't exist over here. Would one of our UK members explain this "executive car?"

·
Registered
140 Posts
No car will ever please everyone ... it just needs to be YOU. I'm very satisfied with my Ghibli to date for performance, ride/handling, looks, exhaust sound, and being somewhat exclusive compared to all the rest of the cars on the road.
Very well said, Beerguy.

I found the review to be quite subjective, and in fact disagreed with many of his points (the negatives ones as well as some of the positive ones). In the end, if it turns turns away prospective buyers it just means more exclusivity for me...

·
Registered
695 Posts
The article in Car and Driver was the worst I've ever read in that magazine, I can't think in the 40 years of being a reader I have ever seen a car panned so bad. I wonder if some of these writers resent not being sent to the exotic locals to test the cars early on. I've seen better reviews of crap '70's GM cars. They fawn over the new Corvette, which I like, but on a test drive I still found lots of GM cost cutting. When did a car magazine mention the the generic Chev switch gear? And try to find one for less that $65K. Very strange!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not as damning as I expected from the OP, a bit negative with problems on the car that I do not have on mine.

What Car is a "white goods" magazine, fine for checking out the length and boot capacity of a range of cars you are looking at but with no love or understanding of cars or their style or handling etc.

The executive car is a pigeon-hole the put the 5 series, E class, A6 and XF etc in. In general the base spec of UK cars is pretty good compared to the rest of Europe and unlike the USA most people pick and choose their extras rather than have them in 'packs'. People buying a car like a Ghibli here are prepared to wait for the car they have configured rather than buy one of the garage forecourt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts