Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys fill up your Ghibli with Premium or Regular gas?

I just got my Ghibli, and need to fill it up tomorrow most likely.. would love to hear feedback. It's a lease by the way.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
you must use premium..

im certain the engine will knock bigtime on regular. were talking a difference of $200-$300 per year difference between the two options for the average driver using 1 tank per week.. $200 is a small price to pay IMO.

·
GhibliForum.com Vendor
328 Posts
Premium for sure... As mrpa has said, the engine will knock and retard timing on Regular. You'll lose performance and efficiency as it was designed to run on premium gas.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

·
Registered
644 Posts
With modern knock sensors i doubt it will knock but power will be down at least 15% or more.
it'll misfire under heavier load. power will be down across the board. fuel economy will suffer.

all cars should be filled with whatever the owners manual specifies, meaning premium if stated and regular/midgrade if stated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a question on premium fuel and if one brand is better than the next. I have some choices in my area including Shell, which I have read is recommended by Ferrari. Is that just marketing or is there something unique about their premium blend. I'm talking USA gasoline, not "petrol". Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
After driving a Ghibli 2 years and 20,000 miles I've always used plus, 89 octane, not premium. Used premium a few times especially now with gas as cheap as it is but see no difference in power or mileage. Never had knocking.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have a question on premium fuel and if one brand is better than the next. I have some choices in my area including Shell, which I have read is recommended by Ferrari. Is that just marketing or is there something unique about their premium blend. I'm talking USA gasoline, not "petrol". Thanks.
this is the guideline i relay to my customers. i use costco in my STI.
Top Tier Gasoline

·
Registered
644 Posts
After driving a Ghibli 2 years and 20,000 miles I've always used plus, 89 octane, not premium. Used premium a few times especially now with gas as cheap as it is but see no difference in power or mileage. Never had knocking.
Really you own a Maserati what's a couple bucks more gas every fill up?
agreed. ~2bucks per tank difference for a properly functioning, as designed, vehicle?

·
Administrator
2,474 Posts
I always use 93 octane from Top Tier stations. At home, I use Costco gas ... on road I try to stick with top tier.

There have been a number of occasions reported on forum that some guys used "different" gas on a road trip and saw CEL or misfire. I've had it happen with other cars but not this one yet.

As an added precaution for this direct injection engine, I add a Techron based fuel line cleaner to the tank several times per year to minimize deposits, (get it at Costco too). A couple dealers have started to recommend a "top engine" clean for the second year service to address build-up. For me Techron is less expensive to prevent build-up.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just use the one recommended by Ferrari that is supposed to be the best. shell V-power. Costs a bit more than regular 93 but is supposed to really clean the engine.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Use Costco premium, 91 in Nevada. Also use Techron from Costco every 2k in both my cars. Price in Las Vegas is $1.98, I believe 3rd highest. High tax plus winter formula!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts