Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is this?

It almost thinks it is the rain sensor mentioned on page 109 of the users manual, except it states that the rain sensor is an "internal rear view mirror integrated sensor".

I ask because it is getting in the way when I try and mount my Caltrans Fastrak sensor on the windshield.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
That is the humidity sensor referenced on page 164. I mounted my toll pass to the right of it, as close to the top of the windshield as I could. It's barely visible from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the humidity sensor referenced on page 164. I mounted my toll pass to the right of it, as close to the top of the windshield as I could. It's barely visible from the driver's seat.
Thanks! You're right, that has to be what it is!

Which leads to the next question. Page 164 says:

"To help ensure proper functioning of the sensor, do not apply adhesive parking stickers, etc. in the 'checking' area between the sensor and the windshield. Therefore, keep the windshield and the sensor clean to prevent accumulation of dust or other impurities"

A picture would really have helped here. Because technically there is no area between the sensor and the windshield since the sensor is mounted ON the windshield!

It appears that you've interpreted this to mean "keep the area on the windshield below the sensor clean..." since you've mounted your toll module to the right of the sensor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes. The bottom edge of the sensor cover is vented, so it follows that placing anything below the sensor would interfere with de-misting.

As I mentioned in another thread, the whole rearview mirror assembly is massive. There are so many sensors spread out across the back and top, that I had a hard time finding a spot for my dashcam. It seems like there is an opportunity to combine a couple of the light, headlight and rain sensors.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks bekrawa

And thanks for mentioning the mirror....a dashcam is going to be my next project. I was going to buy one identical to my other cars, but I just walked out and looked closer at the Ghibli mirror assembly. It is quite complex!

I will have to give some thought as to what camera I'm going to get and where it will be mounted. Not as straight-forward as I was hoping.

·
Registered
112 Posts
bekrawa & svelte & others considering dashcams:

1. please keep us posted on what dashcam you end up with and how you have it mounted
2. what are your thoughts on using multiple cameras? (one concern I have is someone keying the car when no one is around)
3. wrt to power supply: hidden, fused or other

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kabakona:

I can't speak for the others, but the primary reason we put them in our other cars is to protect ourselves from inaccurate (or dishonest) people should something happen. If someone runs a red, we will have proof. If we get a ticket for a rolling stop, we can prove we stopped (it was after one of these that I got the cameras).

Secondary purpose is to now monitor the car while parked. I get especially nervous when we go to nightclubs. I park out in the boonies, but we have still come out to find people milling about sometimes.

HQ1 - will do. I might not get around to implementing until this summer, but I will do it eventually. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm using the SJ4000 camera. I mounted it to the back of the mirror using velcro. It was easy to conceal the wire because there are gaps around the headliner, A-pillar and under the dash. I am pretty sure that I will add another one in the future. I use it for the same reasons as svelte, plus it's fun to capture the entertaining moments of driving. For example, an M5 pulled up next to me on the highway today (I think he was still in first gear). He wanted to race. I just smiled, and he gunned it. It's nice to have the camera rolling in case karma strikes.

I'll post some pictures (probably tomorrow night) so everyone can see how it looks.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Seems like a good idea to me!

For example, should you get one with a GPS capability. If you don't want people to know your speed should an incident occur, then you probably don't want it -- or at least keep it turned off.

Other topics would be:

- What are the best dashcams out there for the money
- installation options
- camera placement (front, rear, sides)
- active (full time, only when ignition is on, etc)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts