Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will list the discount in percentage. Please indicate if you would:

1. date of purchase/lease
2. total list price
3. amount of discount you received
4. type of discount (Maserati/Dealer)
5. what you had to do in order to receive the discount and any advice you might give to others in order to get the best discount.

Thanks

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
Closed in early March (negotiated last week of February)

$91K before dealer added extra's

$10K discount (note MSRP base increased $1.2K to $76.9K for models around Jan/2014)

Maserati dealer ... bought with financing to get lower net price.

Read through the forum for pricing ammunition, check out larger dealers with more back-end pricing leverage, and consider "trolling" for new stock coming into NJ port that you can buy versus special order if your "dream car' is not in immediate stock. Based on forum info, I negotiated until price was fair in my opinion and car was still wrapped in white fabric protection (30-miles on odometer when I picked up). Had my car been a demo or dealer driven with a few hundred miles ... I might have made a value discount play for a big enough discount.

·
Registered
852 Posts
$95K - $4K discount......do not know what type of discount Maz or Dealer..Custom order which I believe do not get as good discounts (I Hope!!) they originally offered $2K but we have a number of dealers around here (central NJ) so once I told them they had competition they agreed to the $4K. Ordered Jan 9 delivered March 15.

Now for a funny story. I lock my credit (all three agencies) so I had to unlock all at $5 each for $15........so I go to the dealer to take delivery and they need me to open my credit on one agency again...........so i joke......well please take $5 of the final price and redo all the paperwork!! In the end they took of another $5 a month.............Laughs all around considering the magnitude of the whole affair..........am I a awesome negotiator or what? Got $180 for $5 ROTFL!!

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Anyone is NJ - go south to FC Kerbeck they are the larger dealer and can make it happen. Stay away from Maserati of Edison they have excuse after excuse why they can't go lower, never ends.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Agreed about Maz of Edison (central NJ) they were terrible with pre sales my first salesman quit and they never told me. Not sure how they are selling cars with that attitude........or Ghibli's are not worth the effort????? My second salesman just never responded. Went to Maz of Manhattan who are awesome.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Agreed about Maz of Edison (central NJ) they were terrible with pre sales my first salesman quit and they never told me. Not sure how they are selling cars with that attitude........or Ghibli's are not worth the effort?????
Oh I know that many sales reps have that attitude. They are use to selling cars $125+ or $300k lambos so the thought of selling a $65k ride is a hassle to them. Not to mention they have to deal w a totally different clientele now. They were use to upper class buyers, now they have to deal w middle class people and even some lower class folks. The upper class buyers most likely didn't haggle and give them a hard time over pricing. Most wanted the car and paid for it. Now we have middle class guys getting a piece if the action and they wanna get the best deal possible bc sometimes that extra $200 per month on a car payment just won't fit the budget.

The way I see it, is I will sell you any car you want as long as I'm paid my commission. I can sell 1 maserati per week or 20 ford fusions. Quite frankly the ford salesman prob makes more $ bc his volume is much higher than the maserati reps.

These dealers and reps should look at this as an opportunity to make more money and eventually have the ghibli buyer become a GT buyer. I'm certain that many guys will eventually trade their ghibli in 5 yrs from now and go for the GT or QP. Most people look for something equal to or better then what they previously had.

From a teenager I went from a Mazda rx7, mustang, ford Taurus, Volvo, camry, Mercedes, Mercedes again, BMW to finally a maserati. The pattern for the most part gets better (Taurus being the exception lol) so it's quite possible I may eventually buy a GT or QP if I enjoy the ghibli.

Unfort laziness and greed rules the world and these dealers / reps can't look beyond today and only focus on an immediate fix and taking as much as they can from the buyer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
February 2014 Lease;
Sticker price=$85,000
Cap Cost=$77,000
Negotiated over the phone, took 20 minutes
I live in Southern California, lots of dealers with large inventories.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Oh I know that many sales reps have that attitude. They are use to selling cars $125+ or $300k lambos so the thought of selling a $65k ride is a hassle to them. Not to mention they have to deal w a totally different clientele now. They were use to upper class buyers, now they have to deal w middle class people and even some lower class folks. The upper class buyers most likely didn't haggle and give them a hard time over pricing. Most wanted the car and paid for it. Now we have middle class guys getting a piece if the action and they wanna get the best deal possible bc sometimes that extra $200 per month on a car payment just won't fit the budget.

The way I see it, is I will sell you any car you want as long as I'm paid my commission. I can sell 1 maserati per week or 20 ford fusions. Quite frankly the ford salesman prob makes more $ bc his volume is much higher than the maserati reps.

These dealers and reps should look at this as an opportunity to make more money and eventually have the ghibli buyer become a GT buyer. I'm certain that many guys will eventually trade their ghibli in 5 yrs from now and go for the GT or QP. Most people look for something equal to or better then what they previously had.

From a teenager I went from a Mazda rx7, mustang, ford Taurus, Volvo, camry, Mercedes, Mercedes again, BMW to finally a maserati. The pattern for the most part gets better (Taurus being the exception lol) so it's quite possible I may eventually buy a GT or QP if I enjoy the ghibli.

Unfort laziness and greed rules the world and these dealers / reps can't look beyond today and only focus on an immediate fix and taking as much as they can from the buyer.

Ummm…Middle Class people buying Ghiblis ($70K base to $100K loaded)…I don't think so. Most, 70% of the people, buying these cars are upper class people…maybe not the .1% used to buying Ferrari or Lambo but certainly the 1%.

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
Ghibli inventory seems to be rising as do the discounts. I also see a number of new Maserati franchises coming on-line in PA, which could pull from the big players in NY/NJ.
I had excellent responsiveness and service from Maserati of Bergen County. They are part of the same company that locally owns Maserati of Manhattan and Long Island.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Ummm…Middle Class people buying Ghiblis ($70K base to $100K loaded)…I don't think so. Most, 70% of the people, buying these cars are upper class people…maybe not the .1% used to buying Ferrari or Lambo but certainly the 1%.
well i suppose if you use the governments definition of "middle class" / "upper class" you are correct.

Upper Class
1% - $250k + annually
5% - $150k - $250k annually

Middle Class
Upper Middle - $100k-$149k
Middle - $60k-$100k

my guess is the majority of ghiblis will be sold to "upper middle", 5%, 1%. by government definitions.

i personally am in the 1% bracket, but i surely do not consider myself to be upper class. my definition differs from the governments definition i suppose. my family income might start off as 1% upper class, but at the end of the month, after all bills have been paid, (2) kids are taken care of, etc, i feel like im sitting somewhere in the lower-lower class.

i have a 5 yr old / 3 yr old. my preschool bill alone each month is $1800. in addition to that i also sock away $150 each week for their future college expenses. these 2 items alone hit me $2400-$2550 each month.

the government should really define these so called classes by "DISCRETIONARY INCOME" (money avail to be spent on non essentials) if they want a more accurate picture of what is going on. if they did that 99% of the world would most likely be thrown into poverty levels lol.

im sure everyone here can relate! but im going to shut up bc stuff like this belongs on a different forum.

to all the single / non parent guys reading this - if you have learned anything its that being married and having kids is like owning a lamborghini w/ a blown engine.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I too am in the 1% bracket but live in the northeast and while my two children are grown, I still need to help them financially..........life is expensive especially with a family. My current boss just retired at 59, single his whole life..........try two or three lamborgini's regardless of the state of the engine!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
IDK, I can't imagine anyone buying a $85K car (just using an average for the SQ4) on an income of less then $150K a year and truthfully if you're financially conservative you wouldn't even considering owning this car unless you make at least $250K even if you're single. IMO anyone buying this car with an income under $150K a year (assuming they aren't a trust fund baby or retired) is simply irresponsible. Even under $250K a year is questionable even for a single person without kids IMO.

Unfortunately, American's love to "appear" to be wealthy so they overspend on cars. I knew a guy who bought a S550 and was making $120K….stupid...just plain stupid and his buddy drove a Lexus LS460 and was making $80K a year as a server at a higher end restaurant. His car's monthly payments costed the same as his rent on his apartment…idiotic.

At the end of the day, this is all about discretionary income as mrpa stated above. Cars are a depreciating asset (classics/collectors aside) and if you have to stretch yourself at all financially for a car, you shouldn't be doing it. It's one thing to say I'll buy this car and forgo 1 out of 3 vacation trips I take the islands or Europe annually, but it's fiscally irresponsible to sacrifice any of the essentials or live "car poor" or cut back on investment contributions, etc.

This is a whole other discussion, but fiscal conservatives attitudes are what afford people cars like this and toys (ferrari's, etc.) over the lifetime of an individual generally speaking. I've seen so many people get a nice car and then trade it in after a year or two because they couldn't afford it…that is a very painful mistake financially to put yourself in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can Someone Explain These Discounts?

I am surprised by the number of discounts above seven percent. I have noticed that the early responses had lower discounts, whereas lately, the discounts are on the higher range.

I can understand if dealers have to move inventory, but custom orders also seem to have discounts on the high side as well.

Maybe some of you guys should start a service to help out those of us who are :mad:poor negotiators.:)

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
ETodd - I too empathize with the helping the kids out in the northeast, but have no regrets. My daughter always said dad you got to get something more classy than that Cadillac or Jaguar. I'd always responded with how many exotic cars I could have been driving if I didn't spend the $400K for her and her brothers college education, (both domestic and Internationally). Just remember me when your rich and famous.:rolleyes:

HQ1 - I don't think it was negotiating skills as much as being new and trying to see how much profit they could preserve. Ghilbi is starting to reach steady state now that it is at the end of year one and inventory is rising on 2014 Ghibli's and 2015's are right around the corner.

Maserati (Fiat parent) has invested aggressively in revamping the production facility to produce up to 45,000 cars and have expanded licenses to a number of new dealers (I see two new ones coming to PA in spring 2014).

Decision time ... sell more cars will lower margin or fewer cars with higher margin. I too would discount to help establish my network. As of today, I need to drive close to 2hrs for a service appointment, so would like to see some expansion of their dealerships without sacrificing quality of Maserati service.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just for the record I could not live anywhere else except we are toying with getting a condo in FL orlando) and becoming snow birds (not now but in about 6-7 years). Point is we love the northeast and willing to have less with the more we have been blessed with........

·
Registered
852 Posts
I think more like the 5% versus the 1%............we still have budgets, need to save where we can...........we have nicer things......and we ask questions......1% do not care do not negotiate just buy because they do not have to...........some salespeople just do not want to do the work to cater to the 5% or the non 1%.....................but some do and you have to find them..............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts