Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are lots of great cars out there that I would love to have and to drive. I am sure I would be more than happy with many of them. However, within my first 30 seconds of driving the SQ4, I knew I was driving something special. While it is not nearly as expensive as some it sure handles and performs like a more expensive car. I also prefer its size and styling over its big brother, the Quattroporte.

I knew I could drive this car all day and not get tired. I also knew this was pure Italian engineering. Not only the design but the feel, the handling, the responsiveness, the sound, the relationship of the driver to the car -- it is so different from others it is compared to. From a pure driving excitement, the SQ4 is heads and shoulders above others it is compared to, the exception may be the super exotic sports cars.

So, what makes your SQ4 so compelling to you? Or, why would you get an SQ4 if you are considering one?

Also, consider this video that I feel makes a strong statement for this very special car: (use closed caption for english)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...5GaPIklGfsw&src_vid=uz9wxgBfWLY&v=tCQ4-1HuMBM

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought it to be unique. I was initially looking at the Quattroporte but it doesn't fit in my garage. The previous owner of my house built some cabinets along the back wall of the garage and the Ghibli barely clears it by a few inches.

A super exotic is not practical for daily use. I like to show a little bit of my success without being obnoxious. Having kids, I also think about what image a super exotic portrays. There are some crazy people out there who hate the rich and I think a super exotic is just attention I wouldn't want. I could buy a Ferrari and drive it down Pacific Coast Highway for a couple hours, or I could spend that time with my 5 year old and 3 year old so it just comes down to priorities. I do have an F Type but that car is literally for day dates with the Wife when we have a babysitter.

I also think a super exotic sends the wrong image in my line of work. It tells my clients I make too much money on them, and I don't ever want to send that signal. I think people respect understated displays of success.

For me, the Ghibli is all that. It's exotic enough to be unique. It's classy. It sounds amazing. It feels right, it's a great conversation starter, and displays what I want it to without being obnoxious about it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
For us, the decision was based on the need to balance the practicality of a car with AWD and cache. We rounded up the typical suspects (MB, BMW, Audi) and were pretty bored.

Christmas day, our son convinced us to consider a Maserati. We didn't know anything about the Ghibli, but indulged him. Instead of hitting the malls on the day after Christmas, we went to our local dealership. We were initially impressed with the styling and the minimalist interior. The other cars we had tested seemed so cluttered.

The test drives (Q4's with and without the sport pkg) sealed the deal. Our salesman had my husband going 120+ mph and telling him to downshift instead of braking through curves. This was so much interesting than learning about blind spot assists, etc., that I knew would have to be disabled for my husband!

We bought the one with the sport pkg that we test drove. We love it and love the handling with the AWD and the winter tires he had installed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
By the way, was the Ghibli inspired by any Maserati from the past, like how the new QP was influenced by the classic 60's model.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought it to be unique. I was initially looking at the Quattroporte but it doesn't fit in my garage. The previous owner of my house built some cabinets along the back wall of the garage and the Ghibli barely clears it by a few inches.

A super exotic is not practical for daily use. I like to show a little bit of my success without being obnoxious. Having kids, I also think about what image a super exotic portrays. There are some crazy people out there who hate the rich and I think a super exotic is just attention I wouldn't want. I could buy a Ferrari and drive it down Pacific Coast Highway for a couple hours, or I could spend that time with my 5 year old and 3 year old so it just comes down to priorities. I do have an F Type but that car is literally for day dates with the Wife when we have a babysitter.

I also think a super exotic sends the wrong image in my line of work. It tells my clients I make too much money on them, and I don't ever want to send that signal. I think people respect understated displays of success.

For me, the Ghibli is all that. It's exotic enough to be unique. It's classy. It sounds amazing. It feels right, it's a great conversation starter, and displays what I want it to without being obnoxious about it.
Well said. Although I dont have kids I understand the irony associated with exotics. By the time you can afford a Ferrari, you dont really want one anymore. Whether its to your clients, family or peers, it sends the wrong message. Especially in LA where showing off (like that) is kind of tacky

·
Registered
852 Posts
One of the first things I learned when I made SVP years ago and got my company paid BMW is that you never talk about life style at work especially where there is a large range of life styles......but it is hard to avoid your life style when you arrive in a Maserati.....even the Ghibli...fortunately I work in NYC and never take my car into the city........

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nice try Maserati. Honestly you sound like the maserati rep. There's just way too much enthusiasm about your post and way too evident you want to talk about how awesome the ghibli is, alongside a bunch of negative posts made recently. I get Maserati is trying to do some damage control, but come on

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Way too much enthusiasm?? Not!

Nice try Maserati. Honestly you sound like the maserati rep. There's just way too much enthusiasm about your post and way too evident you want to talk about how awesome the ghibli is, alongside a bunch of negative posts made recently. I get Maserati is trying to do some damage control, but come on
Well, I guess there is nothing more zealous than a convert!

Sure, I am enthusiastic about the SQ4 -- my enthusiasm is no different that anyone who loves great handling cars. It doesn't bother me that Maserati uses Chrysler parts, or, that it doesn't have this or that. He**, I drove a Fiat 124 Sport Coupe until it fell apart but it still was fun to drive until its last dying day. Maybe I have just learned to truly appreciate Italian designers and their passion for fine driving automobiles -- there is something qualitatively different at play there. It is different from German or British cars.

What I am trying to get at is whether others also sense that difference and if that had any bearing on their decision to get a Ghibli.

Sorry if I came across too enthusiastic for your tastes...and what is wrong about talking about how awesome the Ghibli SQ4 is and wanting to find out if others feel the same way?

·
Registered
852 Posts
You have got it! this is about flair, sexyness, and a feeling you get with this car that manifists through the driving experience......no other car has this..........and I cannot wait.......one week till delivery.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Pretty much like everyone else said, it's a good balance of fun/practicality/luxury. It's unique enough that car enthusiasts will appreciate it, but not so obnoxious that non-enthusiasts will notice/judge. I suspect that at first glance, most people think it's one of the 2000 Teslas that are in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ghibli S Q4 is very much a driver's car

A Ferrari-powered dark horse in the premium mid-size luxury market.

"That's because, fundamentally, the Ghibli S Q4 is very much a driver's car. It makes the Mercedes CLS and BMW Gran Coupé look overly clinical and pragmatic in their approach—could you imagine a straight-laced Audi A7 Quattro-banging rev limiter dissecting apexes and sliding through slushy, narrow back roads with a grin? No. Even the Jaguar XF seems a bit conservative by comparison. Italian cars should bring a certain romantic flair to the party, and the Ghibli S Q4 does just that," from the Jan 30, 2014 Road and Track article, "7 things we learned abusing a 2014 Maserati Ghibli S Q4."

Abusing a 2014 Maserati Ghibli S Q4 - Road Test - Road & Track (Good Article.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts