• SQ4 or S

Votes: 35 71.4%
  • Diesel

Votes: 6 12.2%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm guessing those voting for Diesel (like me) are the European/overseas contingent on the forum.

70% of the 1000-1500 Ghiblis that will be sold in the UK this year will be diesel we're told...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm ordering MY 2015 soon, I'm in Europe and definitely getting the SQ4. Local dealer tells me about 70-75% of Ghiblis ordered are diesels, rest SQ4, they haven't sold a single regular or S petrol. He also says SQ4s are usually loaded up with options while the diesels aren't optioned up too much. Interesting.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've seen that most of Ghiblis sold are either Diesel or SQ4. Considering this, Maserati could even get rid of base model and still main their sales. This will even encourage people to buy upper trim car whoever can and only knock out few people who just are considering non-optioned base model because of the price. It will also help keeping their exclusivity brand image from general public who think it's another BMW or Mercedes by having a starting price higher than most of BMWs and Mercedes's.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've seen that most of Ghiblis sold are either Diesel or SQ4. Considering this, Maserati could even get rid of base model and still main their sales.
Well, higher end cars usually do sell mostly fully optioned when they first hit the market. That's because folks that are really really into cars rush out to buy them at that point and they aren't as concerned with the bottom line.

As time goes on and the car has been on the market awhile, the mix changes where price becomes more and more of an issue in order to keep sales flowing.

So it is not surprising that right now most cars are well optioned S Q4s.

I like to keep things simple so I forgo as many options as I can (less to repair down the line)...I bought base with a good set of options. I have no need for AWD here in sunny SoCal and 345 is more HP that can be adequately used on public roads. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've seen that most of Ghiblis sold are either Diesel or SQ4. Considering this, Maserati could even get rid of base model and still main their sales.
The base petrol isn't actually aimed at the EU market, they made it mostly for the Americas and Asia as diesel isn't popular in those markets. They probably sell a base petrol once in a while in Europe and it doesn't really cost them anything to offer them for sale, so why not? I guess most people buying the diesel aren't very interested in the performance aspect of the car, and buy it for other reasons. I doubt anyone buying a new Maserati can't afford running it. But as long as they buy it for the looks/badge/exclusivity it might as well be more economical to run/cheaper to buy. Same goes for the base petrol in other markets.

Anyhow the popularity of diesels in Europe is more about psychology rather than economy. With most cars you need to drive 100-150 thousand km before the diesel actually makes any financial sense over the equivalent petrol. Newer, more economical petrol engines are gaining traction, and diesels aren't as efficient in real world conditions as they are on paper, and the new ones with DPF aren't really good for city driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Maserati-dealer in Gent, Belgium (the garage that is in the top 3, if not nr. 1 today, of the best selling dealers of Ghibli's in the world) told me that:
- 7 out of 10 Ghibli's they sell are diesels
- even for the Quattroporte this is 5 /10!! (that surprises me most and personally I don't understand, but apperently 50% of those are sold to be driven with driver... ).
Important in this one is to know that in Belgium, if you drive a company car (which is the case for most Ghibli's), you have to pay personal taxes on this 'advantage' based on the purchasing demand combined with the CO2 value. This makes a diesel more interesting of course: the net difference (! for personal taxes only), for a diesel and the SQ4 can easily be €400 / month. This is without purchase, other taxes on the car itself of course).

·
Registered
852 Posts
I get the Diesel in the UK considering the taxes and makes sense they buy less options because economy is the goal........we are very lucky in the US with the cheapest sticker prices (based on what I have read on the forums) which allows us to load them up......agree too that a lot of enthusiasts are first year buyers............this is a dream for me and way more that I have ever spent on a car.........and I am already wondering what I am going to do in three years!!!! Stock.......less options.......bigger disscounts???? only time will tell........in the meantime vaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrroooooooooommmmmmmmm!!!!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hopefully if we still want a Ghibli i 2-3 years and Maser will have more fine tuned variations. Special trim packages or colors or performance packages that get us to update. But a small manufacturer has to get alot out of the model runs. Look at GT or past QP. Even larger brands leave there smaller volume cars around for a long time, TT '08-'14, SL's forever,not to speak of Porsche.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts