Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the 20" optional wheels. However, since I would be using it as my daily driver and putting 15k miles a year on it (mostly interstate driving), I need wheels and tires that will be good for a minimum or 30k miles (but preferably 45k miles, or 3 years) and also comfortable. I don't want the hassle or expense of more frequent tire changes. Based on this, any idea of the maximum size wheels I can get for which there are available suitable tires?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Obviously the larger the tire, the more expensive it would be, and also the less available tires to choose from. Funny thing is, TireRack.com already has the Ghibli configured on their store. Looks like if you get the 20" wheel option, there is currently only the Pirelli P Zero with a 220 tread rating. If you drop down to the 19's, which is what I am going with, you have 32 choices. including winter tires should you feel the need. Curiously, dropping down to 18's reduces the number of choices down to one again, since 275mm might be an odd width for an 18" tire. So it looks like 19" is the sweet spot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Obviously the larger the tire, the more expensive it would be, and also the less available tires to choose from. Funny thing is, TireRack.com already has the Ghibli configured on their store. Looks like if you get the 20" wheel option, there is currently only the Pirelli P Zero with a 220 tread rating. If you drop down to the 19's, which is what I am going with, you have 32 choices. including winter tires should you feel the need. Curiously, dropping down to 18's reduces the number of choices down to one again, since 275mm might be an odd width for an 18" tire. So it looks like 19" is the sweet spot.
Thanks. It does appear that 19" is the only good option for me (reasonably priced and some have high UTQG ratings of 500 or greater). Would I be correct in assuming that the 18" and 20" tire options are not likely to significantly improve?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Right, I would expect the difficulty in getting tires for the 18 and 21 inch sizes to continue. There just aren't many cars designed to use 18" tires that are 275mm wide. And there aren't many cars that use 21" tires in general. My current car has summer performance tires with a rating of only 180 and it will likely last 25-30k of driving. As long as you get something reasonable around 280-300, you should have no problems getting 30k miles out of it. I wouldn't place too much importance on the UTQG rating as wear is only one factor in a tire's performance. I would pay attention to ride quality, noise, and handling, all of which have very dramatic effects on every single moment you spend with the car. I would shop for a tire that offers you the best match for your desired ride comfort and handling characteristics, and then just see if the wear rating is good enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts