Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok its a Maserati....

But when i first saw the Ghibli honestly my first thought was it looks like just another Maserati....

Aesthetically its a touch boring, I've no experience with the Ghibli behind the wheel so feel free to chime in about that but based on looks alone I'm not sure if I'm prepared to spend the premium simply for Maserati styling...

·
Registered
14 Posts
This gets very quickly into subjectivity, but I can tell you my reasons for buying.

I wanted a high performance, reasonably fuel efficient, mid-sized car that would fit 4 of me comfortably (not too hard, I'm 5'10" 160). It had to be good looking, reliable, and fun.

That was easy. There were maybe 5-8 cars that made the cut.

But it also had to be unique. This was the toughest. I don't know about where you live and work, but around me BMW, MB, Lexus, and Audi are dime a dozen. Even if you get a special one (M, AMG, S) they still look precisely like thousands of other cars around you. Not only was the Maser different, it was visually different in a way I really enjoyed.

I am very well aware of the fact that I paid a premium for this uniqueness. One that cannot be justified based on any objective measure. But it was an important criteria for me, so I am very happy with my decision.

Also - I am well aware that I took a leap of faith on the reliability front. I drive my car daily and keep it for 10 years. I will have my fingers crossed on this for a long time!

Good luck in your decision!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Agree with MCGrath and I selected for my ability to create a dual personality car. Luxury and sports car. Take my family to dinner...........go to Poconos Raceway and put her on the track! Mazerati/Ferrari designed engine built by Ferrari, and I love cars that are for drivers.....highly specialized four wheel drive designed to primarily stay in RWD mode but respond in the snow.......Yes more costly (higher monthly, maintenance) but I have said this before........It is a Maserati!! This will be an exclusive car IMO despite the higher production numbers........you have to remember the numbers are for global distribution..............and I like that it looks like a Maserati...........that is what I am buying and I am surprised you find the car boring but that is what makes the world go round. The 650ix's are nice more HP, maintenance included, lower monthly but I have been debating this car for three months and I keep coming back to it is a Maserati so I am going for it. I like McGrath are always looking for something new.....I lease and keep the car for three years........I usually buy a newly redesigned model.........anyway good Luck!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm not sure you would pay a premium for the Maserati. For the price of a well optioned SQ4 you can get an equally well optioned MB CLS, or if you pay about 10K more you can get a BMW 650 GC. So you actually pay about the same and you get the benefit of exclusivity, Italian flair for about the same price as the germans.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure you would pay a premium for the Maserati. For the price of a well optioned SQ4 you can get an equally well optioned MB CLS, or if you pay about 10K more you can get a BMW 650 GC. So you actually pay about the same and you get the benefit of exclusivity, Italian flair for about the same price as the germans.
that is a fantastic point.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Like I said it is a Maserati!!! LOL and the numbers work for the comps.............no brainer..........I knew I was making the right decision LOL. However, I believe the BMW total cost will still be less due to higher residuals and included maintenance.but I have not run the numbers.........but like I said......OK I will shut up now!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think it should look like a Maserati, that is what it is! I think people like the Ghibli because it is a great looking luxury performance sedan and it is different from the German brands that it seems like every person with the money has.

·
Registered
348 Posts
There is a HUGE difference if you are talking about comparing prices leasing to a buy. If you compare lease prices, the larger auto makers almost always will be a better deal dollar for dollar. If you are comparing the Ghibli to other competitors on price/performance (leasing aside), IMO the only car out of the S7, 640/650 and CLS that compares is the 650 and that car is $10K more then a Ghibli SQ4 with the same options. I personally don't lease cars as I do not have a business to write off the lease to so it makes no sense to lease coupled with in Chicago/Illinois, you have to pay sales tax on the full price of the car even if you lease making leases here even more unattractive.

Pricing aside, you will not find the combination of luxury, exclusivity and performance/feel that you will in the Ghibli for under $100K…it's that simple. It's 4 doors, has a AWD system that doesn't interfere much at all with the feel and performance, has a Ferrari built engine, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've haven't driven the base model, but if you compare the SQ4 to the e550 and 550i it offers the sportiest driving experience. And this is without 20 in wheels, etc. It's also not about how hard the car rides necessarily (you can easily configure the E and the 5 to larger diameter wheels), but how it drives overall.

The SQ4 is instantly unique in this sense, and you will see far less of them than the Germans.

·
Registered
73 Posts
"Aesthetically its a touch boring"

if that is an issue for you...my $0.015 is that you should not do it. regardless of performance behind the wheel if you cant get excited everytime you just see the car, the $$$$ are too big of an investment. to me...it was the design and then performance. design is subjective...and this car will lose a lot of people on that front

1 - 11 of 11 Posts