Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the 2014 Ghibli Q4 last week with 18 in wheels. In my enthusiasm--well deserved--I had thought the Pirellis were the all season version. They aren't. And it's Chicago. Only Tire Rack options for all seasons or snows are 19 in and I'd probably, then be better served by adding 19 in wheels. Thoughts? Are QP wheels compatible?

Anyone cost out dealer packages?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well sorry I was told that an all season package would be available but that was myth. In order to advertise the top speed rating the cars must come with performance tires??? what they cannot fix that with a footnote? Any way my dealer told me they will have a tire package for 2-3K which stinks as I can get a set of for 19" perelli winters for $1,300 why pay 700-1,700 for installation is beyond me.

I think you may have limited options with the 18" there are other threads discussing this . but the most options at tire rack are the 19". not many for th 18" ans no ne seems to know why. Sales exceptions provided by Maserati? who knows good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well sorry I was told that an all season package would be available but that was myth. In order to advertise the top speed rating the cars must come with performance tires??? what they cannot fix that with a footnote? Any way my dealer told me they will have a tire package for 2-3K which stinks as I can get a set of for 19" perelli winters for $1,300 why pay 700-1,700 for installation is beyond me.

I think you may have limited options with the 18" there are other threads discussing this . but the most options at tire rack are the 19". not many for th 18" ans no ne seems to know why. Sales exceptions provided by Maserati? who knows good luck!
My dealer told me winter tire is 5600!

·
Registered
348 Posts
My dealer told me winter tire is 5600!
That's bullshit. There is a BIG difference between winter tires and wheels, versus just tires. Guys, go to tire rack and replace your stock tires with winter tires. Or get a wheel and tire package. DO NOT deal with the dealers for this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I found some good looking 19" Winter options on Tire Rack. About $2200 all in for Blizzaks and Enkei Raijin painted black. Add in a little more for the TPMS and I am in business.

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Personally I would get a ultra high performance all season on this car and not waste the $$ on winter / summer tire swapping and sell the summer pirellis. Unless you plan to drag race every stoplight, you don't need max performance summer tires on all wheel drive family sedan. I had these on my e60 m5 for a while and dry/wet/snow traction was phenomenal . http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Pole+Position

Reviews are amazing for this tire and apparently good in the snow as well. Can you comment on you experience with snow? I am going to have to change the tires that come with the Q S4 and prefer to just put on one set and be done.............worried about performance in snow?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Personally I would get a ultra high performance all season on this car and not waste the $$ on winter / summer tire swapping and sell the summer pirellis. Unless you plan to drag race every stoplight, you don't need max performance summer tires on all wheel drive family sedan. I had these on my e60 m5 for a while and dry/wet/snow traction was phenomenal . http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE970AS+Pole+Position
I would say otherwise

all season tires are jack of all trades master or none

aren't that great in the wet, arent that great in the dry, and definitely aren't that great on ice and snow.

i always swap two sets.

one as a performance summer set and one as a dedicated winter set.

that way I know I have good wet/dry traction in the summer and good cold weather traction in the winter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
all seasons turn into hockey pucks below 45F. Like pitchfork said, jack of all, master of none...

high speed capability with all-season traction

Those do not go together AT ALL.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would say otherwise

all season tires are jack of all trades master or none

aren't that great in the wet, arent that great in the dry, and definitely aren't that great on ice and snow.

i always swap two sets.

one as a performance summer set and one as a dedicated winter set.

that way I know I have good wet/dry traction in the summer and good cold weather traction in the winter.
I thought the same thing as you until I actually put a set on. The recent tire compounds in Ultra-High Performance tires are really nothing short of amazing. I had BETTER summer traction in the UHP tire then the stock tires that came with the M5, and you can read the reviews on TireRack of other opinions that correspond to what I'm saying

That said I would still maintain 2 sets for my 911, but not for a the sQ4.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Personally I would get a ultra high performance all season on this car and not waste the $$ on winter / summer tire swapping and sell the summer pirellis. Unless you plan to drag race every stoplight, you don't need max performance summer tires on all wheel drive family sedan. I had these on my e60 m5 for a while and dry/wet/snow traction was phenomenal . http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Pole+Position

Reviews are amazing for this tire and apparently good in the snow as well. Can you comment on you experience with snow? I am going to have to change the tires that come with the Q S4 and prefer to just put on one set and be done.............worried about performance in snow?
If you're looking for snow performance (eg aggressive driving in the snow), get snow tires. If you're looking for a way to get home safe on a snow day, with no issues of any kind, UHP are more than sufficient.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here's a great article on TireRack addressing the issue:

"
UHP tires are scaled down versions of the summer tire line. While featuring reasonably strong and stable sidewalls, these tires are topped with a harder all-season compound that makes the tire suitable for varying temperature ranges. Due to this harder compound, ultimate dry grip will not be as high as a dedicated summer tire. It's not until these tires are pushed to their limits that most drivers will notice a difference."

Dedicated Summer Tires or Ultra High Performance All-Seasons: Positives and Negatives - Motorsport Messages from Marshall | Tire Rack

·
Registered
277 Posts
neither summer tires or ultra high performance all seasons are good for cold weather or snow driving
the rubber compounds just freeze up.

they still get you home but if an emergency is to occur - braking distances will be longer and there will be much less traction through turns

The AWD does help but it still doesnt help you stop any faster

My wife will be driving the car in the winter so I take comfort knowing I did my best to ensure her safety while driving it by buying the best winter tires possible.

Winter tires + AWD is wonderful in terms of safety and handling in the snow even in regular driving situations

There is no doubt there are some Ultra High Performance All Seasons that are just as good as some summer tires

But I'd like to see those Ultra High Performance All Seasons go up against Ultra High Performance / Max Performance Summer Tires. (in summer situations)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't think anyone on this forum buying the Ghibli should have any excuse for not having winter tires, you can afford it and they're easy to get even if local stores run low.

It's a one time investment which will last you a very long time. I had a winter wheel and tire package last me 6 years, until i sold it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Should check where people live before making such a rash statement as anyone on this forum. Living in San Diego, America's Finest City, one does not need winter tires for it only snows once in every 5 years and that is only a trace that lasts a couple hours if that, and certainly never any ice. Great driving weather all year - perfect for the Ghibli. Only problem is dealers don't seem interested in selling cars as they never get back to me regarding the car I want. I do enjoy the tire discussion being a former Michelin tire engineer and being originally from the northeast.

·
Registered
253 Posts
neither summer tires or ultra high performance all seasons are good for cold weather or snow driving
the rubber compounds just freeze up.

they still get you home but if an emergency is to occur - braking distances will be longer and there will be much less traction through turns

The AWD does help but it still doesnt help you stop any faster

My wife will be driving the car in the winter so I take comfort knowing I did my best to ensure her safety while driving it by buying the best winter tires possible.

Winter tires + AWD is wonderful in terms of safety and handling in the snow even in regular driving situations

There is no doubt there are some Ultra High Performance All Seasons that are just as good as some summer tires

But I'd like to see those Ultra High Performance All Seasons go up against Ultra High Performance / Max Performance Summer Tires. (in summer situations)
Sorry but that's just nonsense about the daily turning/stopping. 99% of cars come with all-season tires, and perform great in winter. I live in Chicago, where you get crazy winter storms every year. You don't see every car out there in a ditch during winter, due to the fact that all season tires provide more than adequate handling and breaking ability in the snow and 99% of accidents that you see are reckless folks who think their 4x4 can do anything in the snow. Now... If you feel all extra warm and fuzzy inside knowing you have marginally better performance than UHP tires, I think its more psychological than anything.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sorry but that's just nonsense about the daily turning/stopping. 99% of cars come with all-season tires, and perform great in winter. I live in Chicago, where you get crazy winter storms every year. You don't see every car out there in a ditch during winter, due to the fact that all season tires provide more than adequate handling and breaking ability in the snow and 99% of accidents that you see are reckless folks who think their 4x4 can do anything in the snow. Now... If you feel all extra warm and fuzzy inside knowing you have marginally better performance than UHP tires, I think its more psychological than anything.
This is true, even regular all seasons will be good enough in winter but winter tires are still be best for the ultimate safety and control of your vehicle in winter conditions.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts