Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you reached up and felt the texture of the wheel wells?

It feels like felt (to me) or "furry" (to my wife).

I'm not talking about the inside like if you open up the trunk...I'm talking about the outside where the wheel actually is!

What's up with that?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi, pretty sure it is sound insulation, those tyres have big 'footprints' and make a lot of noise when travelling at speed.

·
Administrator
2,387 Posts
I found the same thing and thought it was a nice touch. My only thought was hoping that material was water resistant and doesn't trap moisture. Although think the wheel well is part of the aluminum body panel construction and cars a pretty well protected from corrosion. Can't help thinking back to my first car when the wheel wells would be the first to rust out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Believe it or not my 2011 Dodge Durango has a similar material. I've used numerous brushes on it to clean it. Doesn't seem to damage it and sadly doesn't clean it very well either.

I am hoping to own a Ghibli in 2 months time so I don't know how similar the material is, but I assume if Dodge can do it......

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spent some time on my garage floor yesterday (should have done that during pre-delivery when they had it on a lift) just eyeballing the flats/bolts/protrusions/etc to get a feel for what is underneath relative to the usual condition of New England roads.

So -- while I understand that the felt/carpet lining the wheel wells and extending into a few other odd & different places is, likely, sound-dampening material, I am really curious if anyone has experience with how it holds up under snow/mud/roadsalt and other miscellaneous gunk.

I think the above "does it trap moisture" is going to be a very important one.

Of course, this material/design might be way more common than I'm aware of (re above Dodge post), so maybe I'm just uninformed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I spent some time on my garage floor yesterday (should have done that during pre-delivery when they had it on a lift) just eyeballing the flats/bolts/protrusions/etc to get a feel for what is underneath relative to the usual condition of New England roads.

So -- while I understand that the felt/carpet lining the wheel wells and extending into a few other odd & different places is, likely, sound-dampening material, I am really curious if anyone has experience with how it holds up under snow/mud/roadsalt and other miscellaneous gunk.

I think the above "does it trap moisture" is going to be a very important one.

Of course, this material/design might be way more common than I'm aware of (re above Dodge post), so maybe I'm just uninformed.
Ferrari does it too.
While, in my experience, it doesn't seem to trap moisture, leaves and organic debris can stick to it and be tough to remove.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Both my previous Ferraris have the same material in the wheel wells. Absolute buggers to clean.

As suggested by another poster, it's for sound insulation. Probably stops road debris from ricocheting around the inside as well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
This is for sound / noise insulation. Had this also on my Alfa Romeo.
No woories. You never have to clean it and it never hase to be exchanged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts