Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer mentioned that the first oil change isn't due until 12k miles. I always thought that oil should be changed in a new car after 1,500 miles.

When are you all changing your oil?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Manual states Replace engine oil and filter every 12,500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. It also suggests that you may need to top off the oil as often as every 1,900 miles. This was quite common with my BMW as well. I probably had to top it off about 3 times between oil changes. I personally have no plans to change the oil and filter as early as 1500 miles. The maintenance plan surely will not cover out of schedule services so I plan to stick to the manufacturers recommended schedule and to follow the general advice from my dealer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Like you, I was paranoid about the break in oil. I ended up finally changing it after 5k. Fortunately my dealer stocks the filters for $35, which was much cheaper than I could fine online.

If you're going to DIY, I'd invest in a suction pump. It took me longer to figure out how to remove the undertray and access the drain plug than it did to actually do the oil change.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
the first service / oil change is 12k miles.

like previous posts have stated, you may need to top off your oil in between. I personally have topped my car off 1x so far since it was 1 qt low, this was at about the 6k mile mark.

the most important thing when doing the change or top off is to use the proper oil. you must use 5w40 European blend, it must be European, that is very important since 540 usa is diff then 540 euro.

I personally use Pennzoil 5w40 euro blend, its Ferrari approved. the easiest way to know if its the correct version is to look for the Ferrari logo. its about $35 per case on amazon. I doubt you will find it cheaper locally. in fact most auto stores don't even carry it on the shelf so you most likely wont even find it in stores.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006A49KJC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts