Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have read a bunch of threads about Ghibli problems, so I want to ask the question: Who has a good one? I suppose on a different level, who had some issues, had them fixed by the dealer and then had no further issues? I am about to take the plunge on one with my eyes open, but I am curious if there are (m)any out there that are right, right out of the box.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love mine. The premium stereo is a known issue and will be fixed. Some dealers are doing that now. Mine wont until Maserati authorizes. The only other issues is that there is a small compartment on the left where I can keep sunglasses and the door wont close properly. They are taking care of this, this week. Its an awesome vehicle. It has its own unique character is not for everyone,... for sure but of want to drive something special, exciting, this is the best in its class.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Me to: I love it! There are things that could be better like the navigation or safety options like you find in some german cars, but... This is really the best car to drive in this segment, by far!!! You can 'cruise' as well, but this is a real 'drivers car' without any competition (let's forget M-cars from e.g. BMW, but read honest (!*) tests and you will see what I mean. About 2 months ago, I read a test with the M6 against the Quatroporte. The journalist was suprised in 2 things: the comfort he experienced in a sporty berline like the Quattroporte and, more important, the roadholding of that same car: the BMW M6 is very good in acceleration and has a good roadholding, but not compared to the Qauttroporte! Same for the Ghibli.
And quality? Ok, I had the known problem with the premium system as well: is solved in the mean time. But please be fair: the quality is very good (I can compare: my wife has a Mercedes, my Sales Manager a BMW, my brother in law an AUDI). Are the Germans better in this aspect? Maybe a bit yes, but what do you prefer: one of the most, if not thè most beautiful car in its segment that is of very good quality or a car with an interior that is 'a bit dull', not perfectly balnced and with much to many buttons but has 'perfect quality? It's up to everyone to decide for himself, but I am very found of cars and for me the Ghibli is the best choice for what i want and need.
* you have to know that quite some journalists are strongly biased if german cars are involved (or even not...). Also important in this one was next, told by a journalist: 'The more introductions there are and the better you are treated as a journalist, the more difficult it is to be 'neutral'. Even if rather exceptional, you are sometimes forced if you want to receive an invitation for the following event...'

·
Registered
87 Posts
We love our car, but more than that, we love the attention we've received from our dealership, especially our service advisor. He's been incredibly responsive and I trust that as issues are identified by the early adopters, he is passing them along to Maserati's technical department and we will be informed of fixes as they develop.

It's certainly a risk to be the owner of any new model, but I think the risk can be reduced by a relationship that is developed with the dealership.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I got mine this past Saturday. So far it's got the following issues:

1. Faint brake squeal
2. Driver side window squeals going up and down
3. Faint rattle from the dash somewhere

Aside from the above, some other "complaints":

1. On very tight turns, the car acts like one wheel hit a small patch of ice and "skids" for a short bit.
2. Touchy brakes. Lurch, lurch, lurch.
3. Excessive cabin engine boom when not in sports mode.
4. The easy entry feature pushes the seats back wayyyy too far. I'd just like to go back maybe a few inches, not too much.
5. Rain sensing wipers even on the lowest sensitivity setting can go into the frenzied wiping speed on rain that is really not that hard. Found my self twiddling with it constantly.
6. The rear seat backs appear not to lock in place. I'll have to RTFM on this one.
7. The two buttons flanking the display are way too small. Should be fatter.
8. No HD Radio? Really?
9. The display looks like it was programmed for a lower resolution and upscaled to fit the screen. Everything looks blurry.
10. The backup camera is ****. I believe my kid's toy spy camera has higher resolution and better image quality.

No regrets at all, but these are just some of the small things that I wish could be implemented better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine is good for the most part. Some rattling noises come from the backseat somewhere and the side passenger speaker. Satellite radio cuts in and out constantly. Other than that, no complaints.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Congratulations on picking up your Ghibli, NOVA. What color combo do you have?

I'm in a Nero Ribelle with nero/cuoio interior.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Congratulations on picking up your Ghibli, NOVA. What color combo do you have?

I'm in a Nero Ribelle with nero/cuoio interior.
Blu Emozione, Nero/Cuoio with extended Cuoio leather, Proteo wheels, blue calipers, ebono wood. Got it with premium and sports package, and the premium sound. I'm mostly in the Tysons/McLean area, it's my daily driver.

I've seen a couple of other Ghiblis on the road prior to picking mine up. Maybe you were one of them. Ha!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Blu Emozione, Nero/Cuoio with extended Cuoio leather, Proteo wheels, blue calipers, ebono wood. Got it with premium and sports package, and the premium sound. I'm mostly in the Tysons/McLean area, it's my daily driver.

I've seen a couple of other Ghiblis on the road prior to picking mine up. Maybe you were one of them. Ha!
I know there's another Blu Emozione, Nero/Cuoio like yours in the Tysons/McLean area. The husband surprised his wife with it for Christmas!! Hopefully we'll meet when our dealership has a get-together.

I'm in Oakton, but I work from home so the Ghibli's not out on the road on a daily basis.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got mine this past Saturday. So far it's got the following issues:

1. Faint brake squeal
2. Driver side window squeals going up and down
3. Faint rattle from the dash somewhere

Aside from the above, some other "complaints":

1. On very tight turns, the car acts like one wheel hit a small patch of ice and "skids" for a short bit.
2. Touchy brakes. Lurch, lurch, lurch.
3. Excessive cabin engine boom when not in sports mode.
4. The easy entry feature pushes the seats back wayyyy too far. I'd just like to go back maybe a few inches, not too much.
5. Rain sensing wipers even on the lowest sensitivity setting can go into the frenzied wiping speed on rain that is really not that hard. Found my self twiddling with it constantly.
6. The rear seat backs appear not to lock in place. I'll have to RTFM on this one.
7. The two buttons flanking the display are way too small. Should be fatter.
8. No HD Radio? Really?
9. The display looks like it was programmed for a lower resolution and upscaled to fit the screen. Everything looks blurry.
10. The backup camera is ****. I believe my kid's toy spy camera has higher resolution and better image quality.

No regrets at all, but these are just some of the small things that I wish could be implemented better.
That's all a little disconcerting, some more-so than others. Though there's really no HD radio available at all?? Is that only on base stereo cars or do even the High Fi optioned cars also not get HD? That's crazy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That's all a little disconcerting, some more-so than others. Though there's really no HD radio available at all?? Is that only on base stereo cars or do even the High Fi optioned cars also not get HD? That's crazy.
Others can feel free to chime in, but typically HD radio would have an "HDR" emblem when it is there, and allow me to select sub-stations. There would also be a change in audio quality when a station cuts in and out of FM or HD coverage. On the Ghibli, all I see is regular FM. This makes me sad as I listen to the radio a lot.

I also don't see the HD Radio being mentioned anywhere in Ghibli literature.

The "skid" problem may actually be due to ice or loose gravel on the road, since it's been snowing in our area for the past week or so. Maybe as the ground dries, I will be able to check this out. My wife's C300 4Matic has no such issues, of course.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not to be rude but it doesn't have a tape player in it either.

HD Radio is like the Laser Disk, it was a good idea for a second. Im a millennial and have never used it. Pretty sure my A7 didnt have it either or my LR

Your phone automatically syncs its media which gives you access to apps for music and radio which can be controlled through the cars UI. TuneIn Radio app is great for sports talk which gives me any radio station in the country and it allows me to rewind, pause, get out of my car, come back hours later and pick up where I left off.

There is no reason to use the radio for music with services like Spotify. If you disagree then you dont know what Spotify is and all that it can do

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have driven now nearly 2000 miles since the 10th january on alpine streets in Switzerland and with high speed on german motorways and I can say that I'm very happy with the car.
Touch wood- I have no issues, no rattle from the dash, no break squeals etc..Outside of the town I drive the car mostly with paddles in sport mode and makes a lot of fun to drive. The car is amazeing in snow which we had this very warm winter only in the alps- but there a lot. So I really can say that I have a good one. In addition as we have in Europe DAB I have no problem with the satellite antenna. I had to wait 7 months for the car and I got it much later than people who ordered later. So probably it was worth to wait.....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not to be rude but it doesn't have a tape player in it either.

HD Radio is like the Laser Disk, it was a good idea for a second. Im a millennial and have never used it. Pretty sure my A7 didnt have it either or my LR

Your phone automatically syncs its media which gives you access to apps for music and radio which can be controlled through the cars UI. TuneIn Radio app is great for sports talk which gives me any radio station in the country and it allows me to rewind, pause, get out of my car, come back hours later and pick up where I left off.

There is no reason to use the radio for music with services like Spotify. If you disagree then you dont know what Spotify is and all that it can do
Well, I disagree. HD Radio is pretty pervasive in all major markets. The sound quality difference is not subtle. Laser Disk failed because it was an impractical physical format - a problem that DVD solved even though it was arguably a technically inferior format. HD Radio does not suffer from that problem. There is nothing extra or extraordinarily cumbersome for the user to deal with. On cars where it is available, its operation is entirely automatic.

I had HD radios in the BMW and MB I've owned in the past, and I am pretty sure the current A7 has it as well. I've come to expect it as a given for any luxury brand car, especially one that costs as much as the Ghibli.

I think Spotify is great, but I actually like a few of our local radio stations. The radio is there, it's quick, a couple of button presses and I'm listening to music or news. I tried playing with internet radio apps on my phone - some apps have some stations but not all of them, and the streaming quality is typically very poor at only 64kbps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Would you mind posting a few pictures of your car? I'd like to see Blu Emozione in conjunction with the blue calipers. Are the calipers close to Blu Emozione or are they a more generic blue? Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We love our car, but more than that, we love the attention we've received from our dealership, especially our service advisor. He's been incredibly responsive and I trust that as issues are identified by the early adopters, he is passing them along to Maserati's technical department and we will be informed of fixes as they develop.

It's certainly a risk to be the owner of any new model, but I think the risk can be reduced by a relationship that is developed with the dealership.
JameMay is right. After owning 3 BMW's , I left because of the horrible service and rip off type sales people. Trust me, my advisor at the Collection is awesome. The sales experience and service is exactly what you would expect when you spend this kind of money. Besides being an incredible car, this does make a huge difference to me.

·
Registered
852 Posts
my wife has a Mazda cx-5 with HD radio and I cannot for the life of me tell the difference between HD and Non HD radio..........I am not and audiophile so I am not sure what all the hype is about HD radio? However, if lack of HD radio is a key factor in your car decision I suggest you not buy a Ghibli as that is not what this car is all about......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts