Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the announcements of the Levante GTS and TROFEO, the Ghibli is the only model in the range that isn’t offered with a V8 variant. I understood that the Levante was based on the Ghibli platform (this might be mis-information) and the previous reasoning I had heard about the Ghibli and a V8 is the engineering required to mate the body to deal with additional power as well as transmission issues. The TROFEO appears to have overcome both if so, given that it also runs the Q4 system.

Would be nice to see GTS and TROFEO variants through the entire line-up. Can’t see it really canibalizing sales of other models as, presumably, the price point for a Ghibli TROFEO would exceed the QP GTS.

I’d think a more proven reliability track record coupled with, perhaps, addressing some of the silly finish details that reviewers seem to cling to (eg Chrysler parts bin sharing, which doesn’t bother me a bit) and these high-performance models through the model range would attract more buyers and further increase the brand’s pedigree.

Any thoughts, word or insights?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Quattroporte VI and Ghibli are basically the same car with a different wheelbase, so there are no technical constrains or complicated engineering required for them to drop the QP's V8 in the Ghibli. They simply don't think a V8 would be profitable or they just don't want to.

That said, there were plans to have a V8 Ghibli a few years ago, they went so far with the plan that V8 Ghibli prototypes were spotted in the wild, but it seems they have killed the project.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ghibli / Levante (in V6 form) cost the same new. (at least in my area).

I really, really wanted the versatility of an SUV, but the rear end is just atrocious.
It looks like a 10 year old Infiniti crossover.

So I "settled" for the Ghibli. Now I have to figure out how to carry everything. First world problems.

And to be fair, I don't think the car needs a V8 -- it's powerful enough (for me).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a MY17 SQ4 and love it. You do get used to the power after a while, but I agree it has plenty. That said, all the tuning threads on this site alone do suggest people would like more power... maybe $2k or so for another 70hp is enough... I’m sure a V8 would be min $25k (CAD$40) more... and the Trofeo even more... that said, I’m sure the rumble out of the V8 would seduce a lot of current owners when it is time to replace!

·
Registered
61 Posts
It would be a nice have a V8 "halo" version of the Ghibli, such as AMG CLS 63 S Coupe, Alpina B6, or even CTS-V.

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would have preferred a v8. I would have bought the v8. I feel that releasing the SUV prior to the Ghibli is a mistake. So was pushing the Alfieri. It went from being unique and interesting to rather tired. Just bc they waited so long. A shame.

·
GhibliForum.com Vendor
324 Posts
Perhaps they will offer a V8 in the future but for now they may be keeping the larger engines for the larger chassis QP only. Time will tell but the good news is you can really step up the power on the Ghibli with an ECU Tune. Have a look here to get an idea... 80+HP and 120+ lb/ft of torque in the midrange is nothing to sneeze at!

Performance High Power ECU Tune <br>(Ghibli S / SQ4)

We also have Sport DeCat DownPipes and other power adders that will make the car sound better, offer more power and be more aggressive overall. Don't worry, the Ghibli can definitely be a real contender if you want it to be ;)

Feel free to give us a call or shoot us an email with any questions, we're always happy to help!

Best Regards,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In line with some earlier comments, I agree there should be an overall halo car, but do still believe that there should be a 4-door (whether QP or Ghibli) sedan model that competes directly with the M, AMG or RS range. The QP does have the GTS, but it is so large/long that I don't think it can really wear that badge for the brand... it does leave the Ghibli. I also don't think a smaller 4-door should ever be developed/offered for the brand.

Frankly - offering base, S, GTS and Trofeo for the Levante, Ghibli and QP would be a cool direction (with Q4 on anything at S or above on the Ghible/QP - or, perhaps, as an option for those who would want RWD only - but that level of optionality on limited runs is probably expensive). The S and GTS could probably still come in Gran Sport or Gran Lusso trims. The Trofeo would have to be a Sport line only.

The Gran Turismo/Alfieri should be limited to Base/GTS/Trofeo. All excluding whatever electric variables that might be developed/come into play.

I'd probably jump at a V8 Ghibli when it comes time to replace MY17 SQ4 and, if one were released, be tempted to trade-in/up earlier.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The QP does have the GTS, but it is so large/long that I don't think it can really wear that badge for the brand...

LOL

You don't know much about Maserati in general, do you? Quattroporte is what Maserati is known for, it's the car that literally created the sport sedan segment almost 60 years ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL - then I suppose as an expert you don’t need to be reminded at all that the current Ghibli is the same length and weight as that original Quattroporte to which you refer and that the current QP is longer than the Long Wheel Base S Class. QP V was a better size, but QP VI was lengthened considerably, in part, for a particularly large market where the owner would prefer to find him or herself in the rear right seat.

As good as it is and although the engine is mounted behind the front axle, the size of the current QP (e.g. physics) means it can’t handle and feel sporty around corners without significant re-engineering. You can still achieve very competitive straight line performance, but who cares about straight line performance? That’s the American muscle approach and doesn’t float my boat and isn’t really the brand’s mantra in relation to motoring and racing heritage. If it did, I could spend nearly $100k less on something that’ll beat the Ghibli in a straight line in a 5 second race. Boring.

This thread has hit a bit of a tangent. My or your opinion on whether the QP is the suitable halo sedan is ad hominem to the discourse on whether the Ghibli would find success with a GTS and/or Trofeo variant. Incidentally, BMW, Mercedes, Audi all seem to think that the E segment warrants it for their respective lineups.

·
Registered
133 Posts
When I was at the dealer we heard talk of a Trofeo edition ghibli that would be essentially a 550hp GTS engine in the Ghibli body with a full carbon fiber sport package, some exterior goodies, skyhook suspension and the GT-style carbon seats. Sadly it seems like this is only a rumor.

·
GhibliForum.com Vendor
324 Posts
Do the ECU tunes work on the 2018+ model years with the "new" performance numbers?
Sorry, missed this earlier!

Yes, we just tuned a new 2018 Ghibli a few weeks ago, the gains are very similar and the car really performs well!

Feel free to reach out to us with any questions

Best Regards,

·
Registered
651 Posts
This thread has hit a bit of a tangent. My or your opinion on whether the QP is the suitable halo sedan is ad hominem to the discourse on whether the Ghibli would find success with a GTS and/or Trofeo variant. Incidentally, BMW, Mercedes, Audi all seem to think that the E segment warrants it for their respective lineups.

Man, I've been part of quite a few car communities, but I swear, people like the ones on the Ghibli forum and FB group I haven't met so far. You started with the offtopic/derailing and what you call "ad hominem to the discourse", and you're the one giving me an angry reply, like I was the one to start the offtopic. I was actually the only one that replied giving info about the V8 Ghibli project, the rest of the thread it's just vapid posts conveying no information whatsoever.

·
Administrator
2,186 Posts
I think there are a few things holding Maserati back on V8 Ghibli even though they know there is interest, (I'll call them rumors).
* Concern on some buyers trading down from GT ... even though they are very different cars.
* Prefer trade up approach ... whether GT or Alfieri
* Maserati only tested the V8 in Ghibli RWD and only offers V8 in QP GTS RWD ... concern the power is too much for existing AWD system design ... Even, Alfa RomerGiulia Quadrifoglio with 505 HP V6 engine is only available in RWD.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The AWD part is fine. That same ZF setup is used in quite a few cars with 500+ hp (including the GC Trackhawk, Stelvio QV, and the newly released Levante GTS).

It's down to the fact Maserati has seen Ghibli only as a cash-cow to fund other projects (that's why they will discontinue it in the next few years) and they really want their customers to go for higher end cars, like the Alfieri and the future Quattroporte and Levante successor. I'm also pretty sure they realize that diluting the brand with a cheap car like the Ghibli was hurting them in the long term, especially after the US dealers f*cked it up so bad by flooding the market with entry level cars.

But, now that marchionne is thankfully out of the picture, things might change. Who knows? They might reconsider the V8 option and even dropping the plans of discontinuing the Ghibli - although they committed to an all-electric future.

·
Administrator
2,186 Posts

·
GhibliForum.com Vendor
324 Posts
Electric powered cars are in the lineup as well, it sure will be interesting to see what happens!

Best Regards,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Received an email this morning about a digital launch event on August 10 regarding Trofeo. The image behind it makes it look like there will be a Trofeo announcement for the Ghibli and QP

1 - 20 of 22 Posts