Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to get my windows on the Ghibli tinted for awhile and finally with the heat of summer kicking in, am going to get it done.

What tint manufacturer do you suggest? What % do you suggest? I have the Blu Passione....dark blue and i feel dark tints won't look good, am I crazy?

·
Registered
56 Posts
i got 20's all the way around with black on black and would not want anything lighter, i like that no one can look in, i do get pulled over from time to time, but the cops have been cool just showing them a pba card...

·
Registered
112 Posts
You could match up the tint to be same shade as the blu passione?
I've seen the lighter tint on a dark blue QP and it wasn't that striking(plus doesn't really give any privacy).

Do they have to remove door panels to expose all the glass or can they put a tinted film on with windows in- situ?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a detailed post on tinting when I reviewed the Xpel last month. I did 75 just for aesthetic purposes and heat resistance an uv protection of the leather. I am very happy with the look. Remember two things when you tint:
1) state and local laws. Police will have any excuse to ticket you in a maserati with black windows;:(
2) our maserati windows have a light tint from the factory so factor that into any final tint value hence my 75. Have the tinting install test your window and add that value to your choice. ;)

Also as to instal, the tint is cut and placed on the inside of the window in its fully closed position, the doors and windows are not removed in order to install window tint.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've been meaning to get my windows on the Ghibli tinted for awhile and finally with the heat of summer kicking in, am going to get it done.

What tint manufacturer do you suggest? What % do you suggest? I have the Blu Passione....dark blue and i feel dark tints won't look good, am I crazy?
I used to have a BMW M5 same color as your Ghibli. I did limo tint in the back and 35 in front. It looks really nice, if you don't mind the non-uniform look from front to back. It looks a **** of a lot nicer then no-tint.

·
Administrator
2,383 Posts
I'm looking at the 3M Crystalline Window Tint. Has excellent specifications and track record. I've seen some anomaly with this film on Tesla glass (purple tint) but that is due to amplification of the Tesla base glass color.

I also believe Spsesq has the same thing on his car and Steve sounded very happy!!

I'm planning for 70% for all the windows except the windshield. Each state is different, and PA has a restriction to 70%. US states reference document below:

http://www.iwfa.com/Portals/0/PDFDocs/Law_Charts/Window_Tint_State_Law_Chart_2014.pdf

I also thought there might be a virtual showroom at the New Hope meet-up event to checkout others modifications.:)

·
Registered
480 Posts
I agree with Beerguy 100%. I have the 3M Crystalline 75 and am very happy with both its looks and functionality.

I'll show it to anyone who want to see it in New Hope on Saturday.

Steve

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
15% on rear doors and rear windshield only..

I left the front doors untinted.

All factory set up on the street come this way in the USA and I personally feel tinting the car all the way around takes away a lot of the classy ness of the car. That's simply my opinion. So that's why I left front clear to match typical USA std car set up.

The darker your interior is the darker the tint will look. You cannot see into my windows from the outside however you can easily see out them day and night no issues at all.

They only time cops will mess with you is if you have the front doors tinted. They don't like to guess who is driving the car when they pull you over. They want to see you for safety reasons. They don't care how dark your rear doors or windshield is since most cars are like that anyway

·
Registered
21 Posts
My car is black with black interior, went with 20% all around with 55% on the windshield. My shop uses 3M brand and it came out nice, not too dark either.

·
Administrator
2,383 Posts
I'm getting a sample of 40, 50 and 70% 3M Crystalline film from a certified 3M applications guy to test on my windows.

The Crystalline seems to not be as dark as most films and I have Cuoio interior so he suggested you can go a little lower in number, but we will base our decision on heat effeciency and not looking pimped out.

The installer is suggesting 40-50% max for the side windows and back window and 70% for a completely transparent look for the windshield, (plus a cut out for PA emissions stickers). The Ghibli laminate windows are 70% according the rating.

The other option suggested was Huper Optik film as an alternative to Crystalline, (although the Huper Optik is more expensive).

·
Administrator
2,383 Posts
OUCH!! Got a quote for doing the whole car front to back. Coming in close to $950 from a highly rated professional. Seems to be pretty consistent to other certified dealers, (on high end of curve though). Must be a lot of glass on the Ghibli.

Huper Optik ceramic 70% for windshield
3M Crystalline 50% all other windows

At 50% it should be a good balance with the cuoio interior.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking at the 3M Crystalline Window Tint. Has excellent specifications and track record. I've seen some anomaly with this film on Tesla glass (purple tint) but that is due to amplification of the Tesla base glass color.

I also believe Spsesq has the same thing on his car and Steve sounded very happy!!

I'm planning for 70% for all the windows except the windshield. Each state is different, and PA has a restriction to 70%. US states reference document below:

http://www.iwfa.com/Portals/0/PDFDocs/Law_Charts/Window_Tint_State_Law_Chart_2014.pdf

I also thought there might be a virtual showroom at the New Hope meet-up event to checkout others modifications.:)
Is there really a restriction defined by a number (70%)? Because I have found another information about PA tint law here. It´s stated there that any tint is legal as long as it´s possible to see into the vehicle. It´s a resource written by a paralegal so I suppose the info should be quite relevant!

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Is there really a restriction defined by a number (70%)? Because I have found another information about PA tint law here. It´s stated there that any tint is legal as long as it´s possible to see into the vehicle. It´s a resource written by a paralegal so I suppose the info should be quite relevant!
yes, 70% or higher for the front door windows. anything lower than 70% will be considered as a vision obstruction. whats possible to see thru is a very subjective matter, but realistically you dont want to go lower than the 70% otherwise you will simply give the police a reason to stop you at any time, for any reason which will allow them to go on a fishing trip with your car.

can you go lower than 70% and get away with it? absolutely.. people do it daily. you can prob go as low as 35% on the front doors and still be OK, but its possible you can be stopped at any time.

if you are into illegal activity i highly suggest not having any tint at all. the last thing you want is to get pulled over for tint while doing something illegal.

the rear door windows and rear windshield can be tinted dark, even as low as 5%.

i live in PA, my rear doors and rear windshield are 15%. my front doors and front windshield are clean, no tint.

·
Administrator
2,383 Posts
What you also have to consider is the PA tint law is not crystal clear in definition. I just went through a lot of "pushing' to take full advantage of the most recent update (2013) to the tinting law.

You also have to factor in the Ghibli glass is pretty close to 70% already. So applying a 70% film on top of the existing window nets around 50%.

I put 70% on my windshield and 50% all around. It made a huge difference in heat coming through not to mention the UV reduction and much less strain on eyes too.

PA State annual inspections are responsible for the front windshield compliance only ... the rest of the windows are for the police. I couldn't pass, not because it was too dark but because I added a film below the A1 line on the windshield. I had a small cutout box for the inspection stickers.
Long story ... I was going to have to find a service technician who was willing to look the other way. Called the state compliance officer and finally got to ... if you prove the film on your glass provides 70% or greater the technician can pass the windshield. I had to rip off my Huper Optik 70%, pass the inspection and now decide how to proceed from here. My tinter has 90% Crystalline which is my likely next step ... although that would yield mid 60's.

As long as your not too aggressive or doing the front windshield you should be fine. Too dark and you risk an excuse to be pulled over.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts