Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How usable do you think the Ghibli AWD will be in winter? I have yet to see one in person, does it have enough ground clearance to handle snow? What do you think?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Seriously doubt there will be much ground clearance, but with the right tires, the ICE mode enabled, and a careful right foot, you could probably get where you are going on snowy roads (if plowed). Emphasis on the right tires - the stock summers will get you seriously stuck.

·
Registered
258 Posts
AWD is AWD: it will help but your individual situation dictates whether it will be enough. With the right tires, AWD will get you through just about anywhere the streets will be reasonably plowed. Ground clearance is not an issue IMO: if there is more than 6 inch of unplowed snow on the ground and that worries you, you need to just stay home for those days.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As long as the road is plowed you should be good. Have the right wheels, drive safely, and you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about too much.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As long as you drive cautiously and let your advantages operate as you should the Ghibli will be very practical in the snow. Now granted you will not be taking on big snow dunes like some pickup and SUV owners do but the ghibli should get you from A to B without incidence.

Snow tires are definitely a must for the Ghibli, the stock all season summers can't grip no matter how much you beg them. But again dont use up the advantages, AWD will get you going and keep you unstuck to a degree but AWD has nothing to do with actually stopping the Ghibli in winter wonderland.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'd definitely use snow tires, no question about that. My current car is a RWD Jaguar XF and it's been fine with winter tires. My concern is the Ghibli's lower ground clearance, does anyone have any info on this? I'd like to compare it with other cars in the same class, mostly to the CLS and Grancoupe. A good friend drives a 4matic CLS and he's been very happy with in in winter.

·
Registered
284 Posts
AWD or not, safe winter driving comes down to a good set of winter tires and good judgement when driving in winter. AWD helps, but isn't needed. Traction control however makes a big difference.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is it ever an option to not use winter tires in the winter?
yes, you could get winter rated all seasons and you wouldnt have to switch sets twice a year... You only need snow tires when driving in heavy snow or very icey conditions. 90% of people tend to stay off the roads in these situations. If not, keep calm and let the Ghiblis AWD take over..

Granted you cant drive around in the winter in P-Zeros or Eagle SCs, but a regular all season should keep you safe if you drive safe...

Honestly the real problem with winter driving is other drivers, I just dont trust any of them...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Or as I love to point out on a Land Rover forum I am on when asked about fuel economy. Buy a second vehicle for fuel economy like a Honda Civic...

Well in this case, if the snow is really bad, buy a spare Land Rover and go anywhere except stopping of course.

I have an all wheel drive Mini Countryman that I drove around last winter in 6 inches of snow and it did extremely well and doesn't have the best ground clearance I can't imagine the Ghibli being too much lower, at least compared to my Land Rover.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How do you guys feel about putting winter tires on the 21" wheels? Im in QC and winter here is brutal. The other problem is I cannot find any company making that size winter tire....

·
Registered
48 Posts
yes, you could get winter rated all seasons and you wouldnt have to switch sets twice a year... You only need snow tires when driving in heavy snow or very icey conditions. 90% of people tend to stay off the roads in these situations. If not, keep calm and let the Ghiblis AWD take over..

Granted you cant drive around in the winter in P-Zeros or Eagle SCs, but a regular all season should keep you safe if you drive safe...

Honestly the real problem with winter driving is other drivers, I just dont trust any of them...
Agreed. Having driven nothing by AWD vehicles in the past decade (two Subarus, Toyota SUV, and my current Audi S4) with only all-season tires all year round, you should be fine. Snow tires are better than all-seasons, but a generally overkill for most climates. Also, modern all-seasons are light years ahead of old school all-season tires.

·
Registered
284 Posts
if you want to save money, don't buy 21 inch winter tires, usually the odd sizes cost a lot and aren't as easy to find. stick with a 20 inch

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not sure the exact tire size, I haven't seen the final specs yet on the wheels
The tire sizes are known. Just look for tires on Tirerack.com and choose the Ghibli. All the optional tire sizes are on there. 19 is the best size for tire availability.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Or as I love to point out on a Land Rover forum I am on when asked about fuel economy. Buy a second vehicle for fuel economy like a Honda Civic...

Well in this case, if the snow is really bad, buy a spare Land Rover and go anywhere except stopping of course.
Or as I love to point out, not everyone lives in the USA :p, I live in a crowded city, and only have one parking space available, hence I need a car that can also handle winters reasonably well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Valid point emix... I would hope that with the exception of a blizzard or ice, the Ghibli should be able to perform very well in light to medium snow situations. My old Jaguar XJ8 (2003MY) wouldn't go the best in snow, but it would go. My 1992 Buick Roadmaster on the other hand was the worst vehicle I have ever owned in snow.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts