Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local dealer claims that when downsizing wheels (21" to 19") for winter, the car needs a software update for the transmission. I have never heard of this with any other car make I have driven. Is it true or are they just trying to get the business so we don't go to cheaper tire shops?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Never heared about that. The diamenter of the wheel is the same.
I just swapped summer 19" to winter 18" with an official dealer and they did not mention any sw config/update. And this was a very honest dealer..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've never had a car where I needed to switch to winter tires, so had a few questions.

-- My tires are 18" now, I'm assuming it makes most sense to put on 18" winter tires as well?
-- I wasn't planning on changing the rims for the winter, is there a reason to?
-- The dealer is quoting $1400 for 4 Pirelli winter tires, plus $126 for installation, and free winter storage. Judging by the prices I see on this site this seems like a very good deal?
-- Looks like the tires on Tire Rack are $1138, but considering that wouldn't get me storage seems like the dealer is a pretty good way to go.

Any other thoughts/help are appreciated!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've never had a car where I needed to switch to winter tires, so had a few questions.

-- My tires are 18" now, I'm assuming it makes most sense to put on 18" winter tires as well?
-- I wasn't planning on changing the rims for the winter, is there a reason to?
-- The dealer is quoting $1400 for 4 Pirelli winter tires, plus $126 for installation, and free winter storage. Judging by the prices I see on this site this seems like a very good deal?
-- Looks like the tires on Tire Rack are $1138, but considering that wouldn't get me storage seems like the dealer is a pretty good way to go.

Any other thoughts/help are appreciated!
It is a terrible deal because you should get that price cut in half and your dealer is simply not disclosing an official Maserati promotion. These Pirellis should be offered at 50% of the price - around $700 per set and there are many forum members that can confirm that. This deal is in effect till the end of December 2014. There is an official Maserati bulletin that supports that. Please review other threads on this forum.
Pretty expensive "free storage". Very cheap installation though :).
Perfect example of a great dealer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Local dealer claims that when downsizing wheels (21" to 19") for winter, the car needs a software update for the transmission. I have never heard of this with any other car make I have driven. Is it true or are they just trying to get the business so we don't go to cheaper tire shops?
Interesting topic - based on my research some dealers claim that you have to do it anytime you change the wheel size, other claim that it is not necessary. Based on the tire guys opinion (tirerack.com) you technically don't have to if you keep factory recommended numbers. Then when you change wheel size, the ratio number changes as well and the net effect is the same.
However, one of the dealers explained that the software update is necessary to update some ABS characteristics etc. The quote for the operation I got was $250 and then $170 (from the same dealer). Apparently it takes 1.5 hr of labor :)
and you should do it every time you change the wheel size. I wonder if it is true, too, and how much it should really cost.

·
Registered
863 Posts
i was about to say the same, you just beat me to it... :)

By the way my dealer is just charging 100 bucks to install the tires :) ... freaking awesome..

It is a terrible deal because you should get that price cut in half and your dealer is simply not disclosing an official Maserati promotion. These Pirellis should be offered at 50% of the price - around $700 per set and there are many forum members that can confirm that. This deal is in effect till the end of December 2014. There is an official Maserati bulletin that supports that. Please review other threads on this forum.
Pretty expensive "free storage". Very cheap installation though :).
Perfect example of a great dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got off the phone with Tirerack and the option for winter Pirelli SottoZero 3 are no longer available. In fact - there are no winter tire options available in OEM sizes as far as I can see. The agent went on to state that no other company makes tires in that size and it can only be purchased at the Mas Dealer. I was just pricing this tires on TR earlier this week and saw the the SottoZero's (235/50/18 & 275/45/18) and now nothing comes up. I'm looking for 18" winter tires and wheels and saving my 20" Uranos for summer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
my car came with 20' and I installed 18' after few months to go with winter tires. No issues and now transmission upgrade whatsoever. Also TSP sensors recognized on the fly!
read my posts for more details

Giuseppe

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ciao Giuseppe,
Did you swap to 18" Alfieri wheels at 235/50/18 for all four ?
You don't have to keep the staggered: Front:235/50/18 and Rear:275/45/18 when changing from the 20" Urano rims?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts