Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner - bought the Ghibli S/Q4 for year round driving in hilly, New England winter/snowy terrain given the awesome reviews of the AWD. Ready to have dedicated snow tires for this car as compromise tires just haven't worked well for me in the past.

Big online tire company (Tire Rack - no affiliation) has wheels in 18" and 19" for the Ghibli, but only has one different make of snow tire in each size....

19" - Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Run Flat
18" - Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3

My reading says to get a smaller tire dedicated for snow (narrower width means pushing less snow out of the way, better control), so driving on 20"s in the summer means taking it down 1"-2" for snow - either of these options will work.

Does anyone have any actual experience with either tire in the snow yet? There aren't any reviews of either tire relative to a larger (more powerful) car.

Insights - good or bad - welcomed.

Matthew

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Matthew,
I have share my experience in getting the wheels and tire in this forum:
http://www.ghibliforum.com/forum/ma...on/6346-20-winter-tires-pressure-sensors.html

Under a discount tire suggestion, I mounted the new 18' with the Pirelli and got the under the siping tool. I can tell you that the grip increased a lot and I am comfortable saying that in rainy days more than 45 degrees I will be great. However I am planning to get snow tires and the same guy went over a hundreds of choices from Continental to Pirelli sotto zero and for the 18' wheels I have multiple great choice from 100 to 300 dollars.

Long story short I would recommend the 18' for snow tires since work better and are way cheaper

Giuseppe

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm living in Switzerland and I have the Q4 since beginning january 2014. I have the 20'' Urano with Pirelli Sottozero 3 and for summer Conti Contact Sport 5P, delivered by Maserati.
I have driven in the alps and the Q4 is fantastic on snow and even ice with the help of course of the winter tires. I prefer to have only 1 set of wheels.
I think that for the Ghibli you should use only the Pirelli sottozero and not the "carving edge run flat".

·
Registered
863 Posts
For 19" the only option i have for the Winter tires i have is

Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Run Flat

Does any one have any idea how good are they or not??

What other options do i have for winter tires.

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
Here is a post with positive experience using Pirelli carving edge winter snows. There are several across this forum.

http://www.ghibliforum.com/forum/introductions/4809-loving-my-ghibli.html#post45745

I have 20" Sottozero 3's on seperate rims but consider them more a glorified all-season "tread" and wanted some winter protection driving on east coast. The car has such a low ground clearance with 20" wheels I'll use an AWD SUV for the deeper snow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts