Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Ghibli came with Summer tires, but I am starting looking into winter (I know it is early), so I am trying to determine which tires (preferably all-season) I should ger.

Currently I have Continental ContiSportContact 5 (Max Performance Summer)
Front 245/45 ZR 19 Y XL
Rear 275/40 ZR 19 Y XL

Any recommendation?

Thank you.

FoxBeat

UPDATE: Looks like I started this topic but there was already another one going on winter tries. So I am still looking for advice regarding ALL-SEASON tires.

Reactions: bay

·
Registered
863 Posts
So we had a meetup in PA and I discussed this in detail with some people who have got the winter tires.

The majority says its much better to get Winter tires rather then All Season.

and the best winter tire out there for the Ghibli is

Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Run Flat. Most of the people recommended this. I am getting these ones as well.

Also they are available in the correct sizes and Maserati recommends it too..

My Ghibli came with Summer tires, but I am starting looking into winter (I know it is early), so I am trying to determine which tires (preferably all-season) I should ger.

Currently I have Continental ContiSportContact 5 (Max Performance Summer)
Front 245/45 ZR 19 Y XL
Rear 275/40 ZR 19 Y XL

Any recommendation?

Thank you.

FoxBeat

UPDATE: Looks like I started this topic but there was already another one going on winter tries. So I am still looking for advice regarding ALL-SEASON tires.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So we had a meetup in PA and I discussed this in detail with some people who have got the winter tires.

The majority says its much better to get Winter tires rather then All Season.

and the best winter tire out there for the Ghibli is

Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Run Flat. Most of the people recommended this. I am getting these ones as well.

Also they are available in the correct sizes and Maserati recommends it too..
Thank you for the advice. I wanted to avoid keep changing tires with seasons, that is why I was opted for ALL SEASON. So did people actually tried any of all season? Also, the recommendation was made? Did anyone actually was able to test them in snow conditions (was ghibli already available during the winter?).

Thank you very much.

FoxBeat

·
Administrator
2,521 Posts
I did not, but know folks that did and were very pleased with carving edge. I have 20" Uranos so limited options with NO plans to drive through deep snow. I have the Pirelli sotto3 for winter ... not as aggressive as carvings edge, but considered a winter tire, (although an aggressive all season to me ... I have pictures posted in tires/wheels)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NO plans to drive through deep snow.
I got Ghibli as a daily car, I keep M3 still as fun car (but looks like Ghibli is winning as fun car too) and it is really difficult to drive in snow in the areas with slopes (that where I do live). So I might end up driving in snow (maybe not exactly deep snow, but still snow). 535 iDrive is now driven by my wife. So really have no choice. :)

Thank you.

FoxBeat

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
IMO you are better off buying the all season tires, and avoiding the winter tires.

ask yourself, do you really want to be keep a spare set of tires in your garage? do you really want to have to go back and forth and have them swapped out 2x per year? do you really want to pay double the $ for summer tires, then also buy winter tires too? keep in mind each time the tire is removed and mounted you risk incurring damage to the rim from the machine.

meanwhile you can simply buy a good set of all season michelin or continentals and avoid all of the above. good michelins you will easily get 50k miles out of, no problem if you drive normal.

if you do decide to get winter tires, i would highly avoid buying any "RUN FLAT" tires. run flats IMO are terrible... why? well first off they cost a lot more and secondly they cannot be repaired if you get a puncture wound. so if you drive over a nail, that means you have to buy a new tire, versus a regular radial tire where you can go and repair the tire for $5... a big NO to run flats! run flats offer zero benefits to the driver IMO, who cares if you can drive 20 miles to the nearest dealer.. use a radial pull over and call roadside asst or change the tire yourself.. everyone has roadside asst included free in their warranty!

·
Registered
863 Posts
So which All Season tire you recommend for 19 inch wheels.

Also educate us on the point of the difference in driving with a summer performance tire and an all season performance tire.

Run flat i agree.

IMO you are better off buying the all season tires, and avoiding the winter tires.

ask yourself, do you really want to be keep a spare set of tires in your garage? do you really want to have to go back and forth and have them swapped out 2x per year? do you really want to pay double the $ for summer tires, then also buy winter tires too? keep in mind each time the tire is removed and mounted you risk incurring damage to the rim from the machine.

meanwhile you can simply buy a good set of all season michelin or continentals and avoid all of the above. good michelins you will easily get 50k miles out of, no problem if you drive normal.

if you do decide to get winter tires, i would highly avoid buying any "RUN FLAT" tires. run flats IMO are terrible... why? well first off they cost a lot more and secondly they cannot be repaired if you get a puncture wound. so if you drive over a nail, that means you have to buy a new tire, versus a regular radial tire where you can go and repair the tire for $5... a big NO to run flats! run flats offer zero benefits to the driver IMO, who cares if you can drive 20 miles to the nearest dealer.. use a radial pull over and call roadside asst or change the tire yourself.. everyone has roadside asst included free in their warranty!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Down hea in da south I'm buying all-seasons to replace the summers that came with the car. If I were in PA or NY I might consider the winter tires but you still have the 2 sets of tires issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think we are on the same page. The question still remains which one to get? Also, is there anyone having all season tires already on and see if performance of the driving of the car has significantly changed?

Here what I found on TireRack.com:

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT - Ultra High Performance All Season - $1140 set of 4
Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position - Ultra High Performance All Season - $860 set of 4
Continental ExtremeContact DWA - Ultra High Performance All Season - $836 set of 4
General G-MAX-03 - Ultra High Performance All Season - $728 set of 4
Hankok Ventus S1 noble2 - Ultra High Performance All Season - $776 set of 4
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - Ultra High Performance All Season - $1032 set of 4
Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season - Ultra High Performance All Season - $816 set of 4
Yokohama ADVAN S.4 - Ultra High Performance All Season - $908 set of 4
Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S - Ultra High Performance All Season - $784 set of 4
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus - Grand Touring All Season - $1152 set of 4
Continental ContiProContact - Grand Touring All Season - $942 set of 4

Thank you.

FoxBeat

Reactions: dar_ghibli

·
Registered
20 Posts
All seasons for 20" Uranos

I'm going to be putting on Pirelli Cinturantos P7 All Seasons. They are slight wider than stock, but my dealer, who put them on other Ghiblis, say they work and do not rub.

255/40/20 and 295/35/20

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maserati suggests Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 for the Ghibli.
245/45R19
275/40R19

I have a set in stock.

$247.83 each for the fronts
$299.53 each for the rears.
+ shipping

I will also have Ghibi Winter Wheel and Tire Packages from MNA coming soon.
19" Complete Package = $3765.00 + shipping
4 19" Poseidone style rims
4 Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero tires
4 tire valves with TPMS

Please contact me if you are interested.

Thom Stailey
Parts Manager
Continental Maserati
[email protected]

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dear Friends,

What is the correct winter tire size for RWD Ghibli? I have 18' Alfieri wheels that came with standard 235/50 R18 Pirelli P Zero tires. When I am looking for a winter tires on any web dealer, like Tire Rack, I am getting 2 different sizes for front and back (back being 275/45 R18). I am confused and looking for help. What is the standard winter tire size and is it OK to look for 235/50 R18 front and back?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am probably going to go with the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32s with a second set of Rims through TireRack.

·
Registered
186 Posts
So if I would like to keep my 18' wheels, then what will be the tire size to order? It seems like the TireRack defaults all Ghibli tires to the SQ4 specs - unless I got it wrong :) - please correct me.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dear Friends,

What is the correct winter tire size for RWD Ghibli? I have 18' Alfieri wheels that came with standard 235/50 R18 Pirelli P Zero tires. When I am looking for a winter tires on any web dealer, like Tire Rack, I am getting 2 different sizes for front and back (back being 275/45 R18). I am confused and looking for help. What is the standard winter tire size and is it OK to look for 235/50 R18 front and back?
Can you go from staggered 20" Uranos on SQ4 to the 18" Alfieri 235/50 R18 all around Pirelli Sotto Zero tires with no impact to speedometer - I would think the revolution per mile count would vary somewhat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts