440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
480 Posts
DD;
Nice find.;)
What I found most intriguing is the following quote from the article:

"Power from the Ferrari-built, twin-turbo, direct injection, 3-liter V-6 came on with barely a turbo lag and is delivered so smoothly and strongly, a driver can run up fast on a car in front."

Now I am no F-1 racer nor am I an automotive engineer but I never experienced any "turbo lag" in my driving of my Ghibli.

I did notice some reviewers' criticized the car's engine for having "turbo lag". This tester says it has "barely" any lag. And from what I have read on line about turbo chargers, there is no turbo lag inherently in a twin turbo system. As our twin turbo chargers are set to engage at 2 different RPM's, I feel the boost and kick back in my seat immediately when engaging the full throttle.:D

I don't think the reviewers that claimed a large lag knew what they were feeling when the turbo hit and that thunderous "pop" hits. I tell my son we just broke the sound barrier....>:D

Steve

·
Registered
253 Posts
That's because most people confuse turbo lag and sluggish throttle response, the latter being an issue with the Ghibli, and is also an issue on the GP/GT and all other Masers. They are purposely built like this, to allow Ferrari be the king of performance and not to step on their toes. FormulaDynamics is purportedly building a drive by wire module that's suppose to eliminate this issue. It's been discussed in many threads here and on Maserati life.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Gosh this topic of lag is tired...

USE FREAKING SPORT MODE IF YOU WANT TO AVOID LAG!!!!!

Otherwise, the throttle lag you experience from normal driving mode is intentional and not to artificially elevate Ferrari -- it's to manage fuel efficiency. Yes, the miraculous 20+ mpg you get with this beast of a Maserati is in trade for a bit less throttle response, more efficient gear transitioning, etc. Note, the German cars in this class behave similarly in their respective "comfort" modes i.e., there is nothing unique about the Ghibli's softened throttle in normal mode. It would be nice if some of the reviewers would come to terms with this fact. With a reviewer hat on the only minor complaint I would log against the Ghibli in the throttle category would be a lack of launch mode. You can get [email protected] close to it with Sport/Manual, but it's not the same. Anyway, enough said about this old and tired subject.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Rsm , you seem to be in the minority thinking the sport mode eliminates lag. It doesn't. And it has almost nothing to do with fuel economy. There are plenty of fuel efficient cars out there that don't have this problem. It's intentional, but not for fuel economy. I've spoken at length with the mechanics at my local dealer and they seem to think it was done to keep the sq4 from putting down low 4s 0-60, which would have gone against a more powerful v8 version they want to introduce later and that powerful v8 still has to be slower than flagship QP v8 and the Ferrari ff. it's economics plain and simple

·
Registered
852 Posts
Actually it is both. off of sports mode and in regular or ICE this is a family car...........when you drive it is a sports car.........

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's because most people confuse turbo lag and sluggish throttle response, the latter being an issue with the Ghibli, and is also an issue on the GP/GT and all other Masers. They are purposely built like this, to allow Ferrari be the king of performance and not to step on their toes. FormulaDynamics is purportedly building a drive by wire module that's suppose to eliminate this issue. It's been discussed in many threads here and on Maserati life.
Exactly. To experience the lag put the car in sports mode. At a stop light, press the accelerator completely to the floor. Rather than smoke the tires and scream off the line, the car moves forward slightly so that the wheels are turning and gripping the pavement and then it takes off after about a 1/4 to 1/2 second. It has nothing to do with the turbo - it is clearly an intention effort to control the fuel going into the engine so that it does not lurch off the line.

I suppose that many Maserati buyers are fine with that. I may want it to be a hot rod that can shred tires but that is probably not what a lot of people want from the car. They want impressive performance (very good zero to 60 time), great top end speed (like 150mph), awesome sounding exhaust and eye catching style. It does deliver all that.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
When a 7 year old girl looks at the front of my car and says it looks angry. I had to chuckle, yeah... I think that's what they were going for. Love my family car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts