Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Ghibli for two weeks. It runs great, but every now and then after about 15 minutes of operation, not all the time, the yellow "Check Engine" light comes on.

Anyone have an idea on what this could be? I thought maybe the catalytic converter, but I really don't know.

·
Administrator
2,387 Posts
It could be any number of things from poor gas to emissions. Fouled plugs on this forum seem to be the most common check engine light cause ... shows as a cylinder misfiring to which the dealer tends to replace the plugs. Usually the fouled plugs / misfires don't reset by themselves.

Best to have the dealer read the codes to be safe.

Reactions: Mangirek

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But nothing to worry about? The car runs beautifully, but the yellow light is a bit disconcerting.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If I get a check engine light in any of my cars I do not ask for any general board input - I hit the dealer ASAP but that is just me. It comes on for a reason - major or minor I want to make sure it is not leading up to anything bigger - but that is just me...

No one can diagnose a CE light accurately on an internet board.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
granted most of the time the CEL isn't important you should still get it looked at soon.

I understand going to the dealer can sometimes be time consuming esp when the maser dealers are usually spread out pretty good and often times a hike to get to.

here is what you can do to save yourself the trip:

next time your CEL trips, drive the car over to any "chain" auto store, ie - autozone, pep boys, advance auto, etc. go inside and ask them to read your CEL for you. they will hook up the OBD reader and give you the code at no charge. they wont reset it and some stores wont even tell you what the code means, but they will def give you the code. write it down and report back to me what it says. once you have the code, I will tell you what your problem is. then you can determine how soon you need to get yourself over to the dealer for the warranty correction.

any auto store can do this for you - it's FREE. they will NOT charge you a single penny to do the reading.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
No one can diagnose a CE light accurately on an internet board.

actually pretty much anyone who has the code list can diagnose this on an internet board. all he has to do is go to the auto part store, have the code read for free, and then anyone can determine what the issue is.

alternatively you can buy an OBDii reader for $100 if you feel the need for this tool. I actually carry one in the trunk, inside my emergency bag.

·
Registered
357 Posts
any auto store can do this for you - it's FREE. they will NOT charge you a single penny to do the reading.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Nice to know. Thanks for info.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for sharing, had no idea it was possible to take my Maserati to a local auto store for a free disgonosis.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I got the car back from the dealer and it works perfectly! The yellow engine light is no longer on. The problem was the thermostat according to the factory. That was replaced and we are back in business.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts