Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few posts about similar issues so thought I would put my 5 cents worth in. I have had my Ghibli only 2 weeks and on a couple of occasions the warning light came on briefly and the engine ran oddly (sluggish and surgy) - both times rectified itself quickly and light went off. Yesterday came on and stayed on. Rang dealer this morning who asked about petrol used and they decided they would have to collect it. Annoying as I live in Palmerston North, New Zealand and the dealer is in Auckland (some 7 hours drive away). My previous car (BMW Z4M Coupe) never casued an issue in 7 years of ownership. Even if it turns out to be something as simple as plug torque or misfiring cylinder it is still disappointing in a car with 1200kms on the clock. I hope this is not a sign of things to come having swapped to Maserati?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the Forum. I have seen this problem with CEL coming on shortly after purchase mentioned a few times on this forum but it seems to have been fixed easily. Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Administrator
2,521 Posts
I have seen a few posts about similar issues so thought I would put my 5 cents worth in. I have had my Ghibli only 2 weeks and on a couple of occasions the warning light came on briefly and the engine ran oddly (sluggish and surgy) - both times rectified itself quickly and light went off. Yesterday came on and stayed on. Even if it turns out to be something as simple as plug torque or misfiring cylinder it is still disappointing in a car with 1200kms on the clock. I hope this is not a sign of things to come having swapped to Maserati?
Hopefully they get this fixed up for you. I certainly can understand your disappointment with an expensive new car and dealer being so far away. Do you know your build date (on drivers door).

That is one of the more common complaints which shouldn't be there for a new car that was track tested prior to shipment.

Anyway ... welcome! Hopefully once this is solved you can enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Jep had my first issue today, same as TS engine failure running sluggish and surgy, my dealer has reset the error code he thinks it won't happen again...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Probably due to the spark plugs - I had the same recently they changed all plugs...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Probably due to the spark plugs - I had the same recently they changed all plugs...
Thanks for the info! They also said that if I have the engine check light again I have to stop get close the car and open again and normally the car engine is reset then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reponses everyone. I have just despatched the car on a transporter back to the dealer in Auckland so will await their reponse. Whilst it stopped doing the surgy thing on the 10km trip home and back into town again this morning, the warning light remained on.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thanks for the reponses everyone. I have just despatched the car on a transporter back to the dealer in Auckland so will await their reponse. Whilst it stopped doing the surgy thing on the 10km trip home and back into town again this morning, the warning light remained on.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had more info about my engine failure: 3 of the 6 cylinders didn't work when I had the engine error code.
My car had the exact same issue at ~200 miles. 3/14 build. They changed the plugs (were fouled up) and it's been okay for the remaining 400 miles I have put on it.

Shocking how many cars are having this issue.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My car had the exact same issue at ~200 miles. 3/14 build. They changed the plugs (were fouled up) and it's been okay for the remaining 400 miles I have put on it.

Shocking how many cars are having this issue.
My dealer said they only had it once.. if we can believe that off course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, turned out to be spark plugs. Fouled and not torqued correctly ex factory? Anyway returned and running fine now. Fingers crossed that is the end of the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Problem back again. Driving 150kms on Xmas day - last 50kms same issue. Parked at destination and a few hours later did the return trip home with no sign of the problem. Frustrating!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've had a similar problem twice, and both times, turning off the engine (I did a full shutdown including the accessories just to be sure) for about 2-3 minutes solved it. The dealer checked everything out (including the spark plugs) and found nothing. For me this is only mildly annoying because it seems to be very easily rectified...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Problem back again. Driving 150kms on Xmas day - last 50kms same issue. Parked at destination and a few hours later did the return trip home with no sign of the problem. Frustrating!
This worries me. If the problem reoccurred after a plug change and retorque, then it wasn't the plugs. Since no one else has suggested an alternate explanation, we may have an unsolved and serious issue here.

Anyone else have the problem reoccur after the dealer attended to the plugs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you want to drive rental cars, buy Ghibli.
I bought my ghibli two months ago and back in the garage three times already. Same problem, engine missfire. First time they have changed the spark plugs, second time changed entire fuel injection system, now third time in for almost two weeks now and awaiting software update. They think is this time software over fueling the engine and drowning the cylinders. I thought Ferrari build these engine??? Not to forget locked me out twice, because I did not press the start button long enough when starting the engine, you have to wait almost twenty minutes before you can restart. Another problem is noisy bottom. Looks like something loose under the car. I want my X5 back.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have my car two weeks also. Less than 200 miles on it. Still original gas that it was delivered with. I accelerated hard and the light flashed for a few seconds. That indicates a misfire. I don't think these engines like to run cold. I'll wait a little while before I bring it back for service. My steering wheel squeaks too.

·
Administrator
2,521 Posts
There is a major ECU software upgrade in final stages of validation to address the misfire that randomly seems to plague numerous Ferrari built engines. Maserati recently updated to new spark plugs which are supposed to help, but not the cure.

I received advance notice, but no real roll-out timing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is a major ECU software upgrade in final stages of validation to address the misfire that randomly seems to plague numerous Ferrari built engines. Maserati recently updated to new spark plugs which are supposed to help, but not the cure.

I received advance notice, but no real roll-out timing.
I am extremely interested in what this update entails. Please keep us posted.

My girlfriend said the light came on after hard acceleration and I knew what that meant. Car runs great but I take great care of it. Hoping there isn't an underlying issue I can't find.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wonder if the 12% efficiency improvement in the 2016s is all software or are there different parts on the engine as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts